Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Driving through the South enfem

Driving through the South enfem

Hi all.

I'll be driving from New England to Key West, Fl. this Spring. I'd like to do it enfem, but, I am concerned about any local "sensitivities" in the States I'll be driving through. I know some jurisdictions in the "Old South" had legal restrictions on crossdressing. I wonder if any one on this forum has any current information on the relative safety/legality of driving while dressed.

Since there is no conceivable way that I could pass, any time out of the truck I will be easily identified. I am less worried about the redneck bullies at gas stations than I am about the police.

I would appreciate any thoughts or experiences.

Thanks

I would advise against this. You are planning a drive through a world very, very different from what you are used to in New England. Yes, I am generalizing. Certainly there are places in the South that are tolerant and enlightened, but there are also places that are deeply intolerant woefully benighted and you won't know which is where over most of your route. With meticulous research and careful planning, you might be able to plan your stops in only the more metropolitan areas, but even then, it's uncharted territory. That hotel close to the Interstate may be in the worst part of town. Houston is generally pretty tolerant, but there are definitely places I would not go, even in boy mode, in this "sophisticated" metropolis.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Kelly there are a heck of a lot intolerant people up in New England.
    I have been up there a lot and always swore not to take a run up in the north east the next time a run came around. (trucker)
    Vicky the south is not like you think it is its full of very nice accepting people. Kind caring and don't give a hoot if you dress enfemme because its none of their business how you dress.
    I really get offended when people from the north east consider the southerners to be backwards, ignorant and think the civil war is still going on.
    What I'm saying is don't worry the south is a beautiful part of the country full of very friendly people.
    There aren't roving bands of "good ole boys" in pick up trucks searching for CDers to beat up.
    I have done trans group events up in the mountains of Eastern Ky Did one in Valdosta Ga Irmo South Carolina and all the locals were very nice
    Lots of Cders and trans people all over the country so have fun and use common sense.

Silver Member
    Relax Vicky! I've been all over this country working on projects. It doesn't matter where you go there are good and bad people. I've found intolerance in the west coast where people are supposed to be tolerant. I was out back in the 60s in the south. Was accepted as well or better than other places. Years ago their was a story of one of the good ole boys being found dead in a pink night gown. When the sheriff asked about it all the other good ole boys said he was a good guy, just liked dressing up.
    Truth is there are places in any city that one would not be smart to go. As for police I don't think they enforce any of the crossdressing as masking anywhere in the country anymore. I don't wear dresses anymore, nor try to pass for the most part. But I wear fem clothes with bra most everywhere. If you are driving a rig, I can't tell you how the truckers will treat you. If you stop at nice looking gas stations where people are getting gas you should be ok. Skip the ones with people hanging out.

Excuse me Liz, but some of us truckers are dressers too,

Banned Read only
    Just be careful, and don't date someone's 14 year old daughter, like that guy from Alabama

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    You'll be just fine. I managed a shop in Arkansas for eight years for one of the nation's largest transportation companies, we had several CD and trans drivers (one even wrote a book called Confessions of a Female Truck Driver) and they were treated respectfully just like everyone else. Contrary to the narrative pushed by outsiders, the overwhelming majority of people down South are not toothless, racist rednecks looking to string people up for being different as banjos play in the background. We also have electricity and indoor plumbing, believe it or not.

*edit: comments do not apply to Tuscaloosa, AL, where Ancestry and Match.com are the same website.
    Life is too short to be boring.

Contrary to the narrative pushed by outsiders, the overwhelming majority of people down South are not toothless, racist rednecks looking to string people up for being different as banjos play in the background. We also have electricity and indoor plumbing, believe it or not.

Sorry gurls.....i just made a mental picture and it made me laugh

Banned Read only
    I think the only issue which will arise is the fact you do not know the territory. When my wife and I lived in New York City her out of town west coast friends would camp in our livingroom. Sometimes they expressed a desire to go to some parts of town sightseeing with a camera. Being a tourist looking at the local folks is an intrusion. High crime rate areas. All I could say is "You want to go where?" At that time the crime statistics for some areas was 25% robbery and assault rates for the inhabitants, let alone tourists strolling the streets. Every place is going to have some intolerant idiots willing to act on their prejudices. Just be careful and plan your trip.

Banned Spammer
    Your concern about the police well then do some legal leg work and see what the laws are for each state you pass thru.
    I know here in Ky there is a fairness clause in the law. Trans and Gay people are protected just like everyone else.
    Most police are very professional and are trained on how to handle trans people and they do with respect.They don't really care how you dress just don't rob the Wells Fargo stagecoach as it comes thru town or rob the chuckwagon of its grits.
    Remember the rest of the country is not like the northeast its way better and people are actually nice to each other.
    You may want to stay LOLOL.
    Now way way down the Keys is very different and that is where I would watch everything I own.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 02-07-2018 at 11:42 AM.

People are nice in the South.

People are also nice in the northeast.

I don’t think you’ll have a problem, but some legal legwork might set your mind at ease.

I imagine if you're going from New England to Key West you're probably going to be on the interstate most of the way. You should have no problems with people and for cop problems the general rule is "don't start none, won't be none." Have a good trip.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Well... I live in a southern state and although I think generaly the Police and most of the people are tolerant, Their are some people who aren't very tolerant. Remember a curtain Southern State was the first to try and pass a "Bathroom Bill" and
    some southern states are still talking about it.

Aspiring Member
    My two cents: and apologies if this sounds racist, but in my opinion--reality.

Be very wary of Hispanic gang areas. Many can be viciously violent and particularly resent males expressing female energy.

Be careful out there.

Gina, gang areas of any ethnicity should be avoided by anyone in there right mind no matter how you are dressed.

Speaking of Hispanic, I have been in primarily Hispanic areas many times, restaurants, malls, Walmart, etc. I always feel like Gulliver in Lilliput. In some places you could do a remake of The Wizard of Oz with a cast of thousands. Lol

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Vicky, I'm not familiar with those areas, so no advice.

But, I AM going to nominate u for the Presidential Award for Bravery if u do it!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Spammer
    There are places in every town you should avoid just use common sense.
    If you roll down a street in a strange town and see bars on the windows and a bunch of people with red bandanas milling about you might want to turn around and go back the way you came.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andreanna View Post
    Excuse me Liz, but some of us truckers are dressers too,
    LOL I said, I can't tell you how the truckers will treat you. I do know that some truckers wear very pretty clothes. I just didn't want to promise something I didn't have experience with. The only experience I've had with truckers was way back in the 60s driving my convertible with my dress pulled up exposing lots of leg and lace hem on my slip. They seemed to really like it. More than one honked and gave me a thumbs up.

Banned Spammer
    Truckers will always look at bare legs, most will honk some will be jerking their gerkin going down the road you just never know.
    I have heard truckers on the CB talking about some tranny showing leg but funny thing they will speed up just to take a look and swear they aren't gay.
    Truckers are great people and really don't care what you do in your own life.
    I will explain why too because truckers are very independent type of people that are made of different stuff than most of the population.
    They work hard every day in horrible conditions sometimes and the job is extremely dangerous.
    Their mind is on their job and the last thing they are going to worry about is some CD or TG person on vacation.
    40+ years trucking I think I know what I am talking about.
    I saw an accident one evening involving two cars one was an elderly man and the other were two young girls but it was a young GF and her CD boyfriend.
    It was out in a rural area and the truck that saw it yelled at me to pull over and help him if he needed it so I gladly did.
    I called the police and he saw the young CD had cut his leg so the driver helped clean his wound and bandaged it.
    He told them everything will be alright an ambulance is on the way. Never once to them did he act like the CD was anything other than female.
    We headed on down the road after the police got there and he said the cute chick was a dude did you notice?
    I said yeah I thought she looked nice but I thought the EMT dude was hot ( I really did ) anyway the driver said if some one is hurt or in trouble I will help anyone.
    Thats just how truckers are.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 02-08-2018 at 12:04 AM.

You are driving down I 95 ! I assume you will be stopping for the night when you get tired. Nothing is a big deal unless you make it one.. No pitchforks and torches in sight !

You’ll be totally fine!
    Have fun, don’t speed, and you likely won’t even see any police. I live in Tennessee, and I go out dressed everyday. I also just did a drive from Monterey, California, to Nashville, on a Southern route, with my fiancé, dressed the whole time. It was an amazing trip, and I’d hate for you to miss out on having a great trip due to unfounded fear. Be yourself and have a great trip!!

Banned Spammer
    Exactly Foxy bartender she should have fun and enjoy the drive.

You should have no problems as long as you behave! The police will treat you like another human being! Sit back and enjoy the drive! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

North, South, East, or West, you're taking a chance every time you go out. Just be careful.

I'm not aware of crossdressing still being illegal anywhere in the U.S. and a quick google doesn't turn up any red flags. Obey traffic laws and you're not likely to interact with law enforcement, but if you do you'll be treated with professional courtesy most anywhere these days. In other words, police are the least worry, ime, definitely less scary than the prospect of "redneck bullies". Probably bathroom use is your biggest concern as there are definitely some restrictive laws in some states and municipalities. In such places using the men's is probably the best bet for avoiding a scene, just be careful to avoid "bully" scenarios. Now that rest areas on major highways have been modernized all over the country, I've used those facilities many times without incident but I'm always careful to appraise the situation before getting out of the car, even going so far as to wait until foot traffic is low.

As for southern states vs anywhere else, I can say for a fact that pockets of prejudice are still very much a fact of life in the south, but political correctness has largely subdued the inclination to lash out. If you could hear them talk among themselves, however, it would make your blood run cold, and that definitely goes for gays and crossdressers. This is much more of a concern in rural areas than in more populous places; people in the latter are pretty much like people anywhere. So my advice is to avoid those little country stores etc and stick to mainstream.