Thread: travelling to china transgender

travelling to china transgender

I'm going in the Spring to present at a conference in China. Does anyone have any experience of travelling there while still being in transition?

thanks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

At the very start of my transition I spent a couple of weeks in Wuxi, China (up river from Shanghai) and didn't encounter any problems. I'm not sure we register with them as any odder than other Westerners. I roamed about pretty freely until the Chinese television news media showed up at my hotel for a conference and then I was shadowed continuously by a friendly gent who made sure I got a seat (by myself) at the bar and a table (in a private section) at the restaurant. He even accompanied me to and from the buffet. Not sure if he was keeping me away from the reporters or the reporters away from me. No hassles at the airport or in customs.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Hi Pam,

Sounds like Pat had a very good experience in China;

I have just returned from my first holiday abroad in Malta since my GRS OP in September last year. I know this is not China but restrictions and guidance on Travel for LGBT people are valid across the world
    I have lived full time for some years but wanted to wait until I got my surgery before I travelled abroad even though I have my passport in my Trans name (have done for a couple of years) I felt it better (don't take this the wrong way) if I had my bottom passport as well as my normal passport for want of better words, before travelling abroad.
    Having booked my holiday I was apprehensive beforehand as you do hear stories of Trans people having difficulties travelling to certain countries, but for me all went OK and I have in fact just booked another holiday to Tunisia in March (next month) which again will be another challenge as this is a Muslim country and they do have restraints about LGBT people but I have been assured by the travel company this will be OK as all my legal documentation reflects my gender and I have read the Foreign & Commonwealth warnings on travelling to Tunisia since the terrorist ban has been lifted for travellers from the UK.
    So may I suggest you look up the travel recommendations given by out Her Majesties Foreign & Commonwealth Office outlining guidelines to travel around the world as this may give good advice on your travel arrangements for China.
    Good Luck with your travel and conference and a safe journey when the time to travel arrives.