Thread: Substance

Substance

So as I've gone down (tripped and fell off a steep hill) this path in life I've been searching for as many voices of substance as I can find. Initially it was hard. I didn't know where to look, how to look, and constantly questioned whether I should be looking. What would I find? But I needed to seek, as I'm doing now.

Some of us hide. I do. Seriously – April DOE. But the voices are starting to make themselves heard. They're not hiding anymore. They're finding their voice, and it's helping me find mine. I can't hear enough of them. Imogen Binnie. Casey Plett. I was struggling one day and did a search. I have no idea what I searched for, but her McSweeney's columns showed up. I read them all in one sitting. I cried a little when I read that Ben Barres died. I didn't know of him before, but then I read the hell out of everything I could find. The story he told about him being much better than his sister is a lesson for us all. Then I read a whole bunch about glial cells. Can I write about glial cells on crossdressers.com? Laura Jane Grace!!!

I read a short story by Susan Jane Bigelow - “Ramona's Demons” in a composite called “The Collection: Short Fiction from the Transgender Vanguard” that I found down the Casey Plett rabbithole. The plot doesn't relate to my story, except the concept of getting your powers back. That helped me. A lot.

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place. I think I am. I hope I am. I've been wrong before, and will be again. What voices should I be hearing?

[moderating] Certainly you can talk about transgender authors, on this site, though this forum might not be the right place unless you're going to get around to relating them to crossdressing (the subject of this particular forum on this site.) Glial cells, likewise, if you can make a connection to them and crossdressing go to it.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.