Thread: Ever had to cut off a dress?

Ever had to cut off a dress?

I had an experience, and wonder of any others have had this experience. I shopped at GW today and bought several really cute dresses. I was doing a quick slip-on, to see how they all fit, like i always do. This is where the problem came in. The LBD with the beaded straps, that looked like a million bucks, went on quite snugly. OH well. I tried to get it off for a full 10 minutes. I was afraid i would have to cut the thing off, and ruin it. Has this ever happened to any other gals here. I know sizes are subject to perception, but really. I guess when i do photos, i will have to do something else.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovethatdress/

Banned Read only
    Yep, I got trapped in a skort once as the back (of course) zipper pull came off as it reached the top.

The waist was too tight to pull it down over my hips and being a skort I couldn't spin it around to reach what was left of the zipper.

Banned Read only
    Once I had a back zipper get stuck. I thought for sure I would have to destroy the dress to get it off. Fortunately I was able to get my hands behind my back with one on the zipper pull and the other pulling the dress downward. The biggest issue many of us would have is broad shoulders. It's like getting the zipper with some struggle past the upper back to the nape. Then it becomes a struggle to get it back down. Since that potential fiasco I've gravitated towards dresses with stretchy fabric and no zipper. A lot less potential peril in my life.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I hear this from time to time and have to laugh because that is such a guy thing to do LOL
    I have been in that situation and I asked for help rather than ruin the zipper like a guy would.

got a new dress yesterday and tried it on only had a few minutes before family got home but I could not get the zip down to get it off and started to panic but in the end got it of was thinking may have to destroy it but thankfully not, its the dress in my picture

I had kind of the opposite thing happen. I went in a dressing room to try on a dress which went fine but when I tried to put mine back on I realized I forgot my zipper pull and spent the next ten minutes contorting myself into all kinds of positions until I could finally get my zipper up.

My solution does not apply to trying on a dress in a fitting room but at home I have a couple of dresses that will only go on if they are unzipped so I have attached a string to the zipper and then can pull the zipper up with the string while holding the bottom of zipper straight and taut with my other hand. Many other dresses I have found I can do up the zipper and pull on and remove the dress over my head. As mentioned the problem is usually because of our broader chests and shoulders.
    Last edited by DanielleDubois; 02-09-2018 at 11:52 PM.

Once I had bust out of a dress like the Incredible Hulk.
    another time a friend gave me bag full of her old dresses and I stupidly in my haste to try one one on without underwear on.. you know where this going. Caught the zip in the bottom of my ...........
    i am what I am, I do what I do..
    i do not seek approval from others.

Never need to cut my way out but I've ripped a few seams here and there
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

One day i put my wife's wedding dress on and took a few photos and when it was time to remove it i could not get the zipper to go down and it was to tight to go over my head a little bit of panic happened i just had to stand there and wait for the fear to go away and breath then i retried it and it unzipped. Crisis diverted because my wife doesn't know about this side of me.

Yes, I was trying on a dress at Anthropology and the zipper snagged when I tried to take it off. Even the salesgirl couldn't get it unstuck. They finally had to cut it loose! Such a shame and it fit well and was on sale!

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I once had a blue dress that was a real fight to get on, not a good sign. When it came to taking it off it wouldn't budge, I ended up tearing the zip off it and re sewing one back in. Odd that every dress I have is size 12(UK) including that one, (which all fit) and it doesn't look any smaller than the others.
    Last edited by DIANEF; 02-09-2018 at 09:16 PM.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

When I saw the title of this post, I thought it was about shortening a dress!

My first dress with a zipper had to be cut off. I liked it so well that I ordered the next size up.

Sami
    My new blog: The Crossdresser Report
    https://crossdresserreport.com/

I've had a few panic attacks but have found that sometimes if I just relax and settle down usually a little work with the zipper I can get it down. To slip out of the dress. My shoulders are so big the only way out is with the zipper down and the dress goes down as well.

Yes- granted it was yrs ago. And that was before the Shoulder problems, Arthritis, and other (back injury& car accident). So for several yrs- have only bought dresses w/o zippers, and no skorts w/zips. Still wear skirts and slacks that zip - but have learned to shop carefully. Toni G..

Been down that track, stuck zippers in hidden channels seem to be the worst, patience and a few deep breaths have saved the day for me.

I had a burst zipper once due to struggling out of a wedding dress but the boutique concerned had previous problem with the type of zip and said they would fix it.

If I bought the dress theywould put a different style zip in for me.

No I did not buy the dress but I bought three others on that occasion, none with the faulty zip. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Silver Member
    Years ago when I was renting a room from a woman I put on a pretty new wool black dress. Hadn't thought about it but it had started to rain. Went to take it off and I could not get the zipper to go down enough to get out of it. I couldn't pull the dress up enough to slide the zipper so I could reach up with the other hand and pull it down. Went downstairs to get help from my landlady. Her boyfriend was in the kitchen with her as she was cooking. I told her that I needed help with the zipper. Her boyfriend reached over and unzipped it for me. He slid the zipper all the way down which showed my slip top which was lace and the back of my bra. The good part was they treated me like a daughter. I switched to another dress to go out.

One of my friendly Nordstrom S.A.'s told me they've had to cut people out of dresses, so it's not only is that may have the issue.

Yes, I also had a similar problem a few years ago when a jammed zipper on a dress made me almost cry. I couldn't get it unzipped for about 10 minutes. I was at the brink of desperation and already considering calling for help, when I finally managed to get it unstuck. Since than, I'm extra careful when trying on clothes that had zippers, especially those on the back or tight dresses you have to put on over your head. Those are also hard to get of sometimes.

For myself my wife had a beautiful wrap dress I was dieing to try on, my wife has the sections in her closets that are off limits to Maria. I couldn't wait to try that dress on, so of course the devil in me came out and I tried the dress on, it was as beautiful as I thought it would be. When I put it on I had alittle problem getting my hand into the bottom of the sleeve, I guess women have smaller hands. When I went to remove the dress I pulled it over my head but I couldn't get my hands out of the sleeve, I didn't know what to I couldn't pull to hard to rip it and I couldn't put any form of lubricant because it would stain the dress. So I put the dress back on and kept trying but it wouldn't come off so I sat there and faced the music as my wife walked in the door with me sitting on the couch caught wearing a dress she told me not to wear. We tried so hard but the sleeve ripped to get my hand out. She was alittle upset but she said that I probably got so excited wearing it that I swelded up a bit.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Angry Do NOT cut off a dress that fits too tite or zipper jams!

Do as Ressie suggests: Tear it off! I have done this a few times as I like tite clothes.

Often a seam may rip loose. Or, in worst case the dress will tear along a seam, as these r natural weak spots. Making the dress repairable. In some cases, I've found them to be easily repairable!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Silver Member
    I had one very close call and one where i had to ruin the slacks to get them off.
    The close call was during my first shopping trip working with a image consultant. Her and I hit the ladies room due to my need for one and I got my zipper really stuck trying to take off the skirt. She was a real trooper and she joined me in the stall, I was still all covered. She unstuck things and even manage an inquiry from a GG who saw the 2 sets of shoes in one stall.
    The destruction came when I zipped myself into a pair of slacks on the way to a salon appointment. I found my problem when I had another nature call before leaving the salon. i was able to wait till I got to my car. I ripped the slacks apart and then hurried into a fast food restaurant to answer the call.