Thread: Estrogen effect on hair growth?

Estrogen effect on hair growth?

For those who only took or are taking estrogen replacement (regardless of the method), what is/was the impact on hair growth on your head, face, arms and legs, and trunk? A site search was unsuccessful in finding this topic previously discussed. Thanks.

Hi. I’ve been on hrt for several years. Over the course of time my body hair became thinner, softer, and noticeably less of it. Facial hair did not change, but after laser treatments I can go several days without shaving and it’s concealed by only using Bare Minerals foundation. Hair on my head doesn’t appear any different to me. Its past my shoulders and isn’t thinning past where it was when I started. You indicated estrogen only. I also use finasteride for prostate issues and the side effect is lower T and some hair regrowth.

Adding my interest to this question. Also wondering if the impact on the hair on your head is affected by age, especially those who have already developed male pattern baldness.
    Jenn A --- nothing fancy, just me.

Over six months of HRT (tomorrow is the official 26 weeks up), I've noticed my rate of beard growth about halve. Some body hair between the navel and pubic area has definitely gone :-). Unsure if chest hair has yet been particularly affected. My legs it seems are less hairy, perhaps receding longer/darker hairs, less need to shave the lower legs. I'm not that hairy on arms/generally so not really noticing too much elsewhere.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Quote Originally Posted by Laura912 View Post
    For those who only took or are taking estrogen replacement (regardless of the method), what is/was the impact on hair growth on your head, face, arms and legs, and trunk?
    As I understand your question, you're asking about people who are taking estrogen but not T-blockers, is that correct? If so, I can't add anything since all my estrogen experience was paired with T-reduction.

I have seen a paper that claimed beard hair diameter was reduced 44% by HRT, but it didn't specify what part (E-enhancement / T-reduction) caused that result. It posited that most people don't notice the beard reduction because 44% diameter reduction on a beard hair still leaves a pretty thick hair relative to body hair. I enjoyed the paper because it removed some of the voodoo of HRT reducing body hair but not facial hair -- it was satisfying to think it worked the same on all hair, but was just less noticeable on facial hair because facial hair is an extreme case.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I'm just a newborn on HRT but I understand the same as Pat that you ask just to those on estrogen and not T blockers.
    What I can add is the endocrinologist the only change that assure me was literally "you're going to have less and thinner hair as ladies" When ask about my head, that I'm loosing some hair, he said, it will help.
    For me is going to be really hard to make comparisons since for about year and a half I'd been using silk'n bellaglide and no longer shaving my legs. May be once a month just to maintenance the treatment but just following manufacturer instruction because no hair at all.
    I do brazilian wax in my belly, chest and pubis, as well in arm pits.
    As this had worked in my legs I just began in my face but I'd been plucking it and my face is almost white hair.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION