Thread: Photos of a young me..

Photos of a young me..

Recently i had reason to dig into a box which contains many old pictures I started looking at pictures of myself and from around 12 onwards. I lined up 12 photos taken over about a 12 year spread in each photo I was standing with a bunch of guy friends... what was very noticeable and slightly scary lol was that the way i am standing is totally different from ALL the other guys in ALL the pictures.. they have their chests thrusting out, feet straight in line and seem to be trying to take up the whole canvas so to speak, there arms are tense and their fists clenched. Me in the other hand almost look like I am trying to hide, I am never standing straight, my one leg is always slightly behind the other, my shoulders sort of bend inwards slightly and my hands are relaxed at my sides... this is decades before Becky emerged...
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Perhaps your subconscious was doing the posing?

Similar with me, photos with the girls don't stand out so much.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    When I was young I never really like having my photo taken, and in the ones that have survived the years I always look a bit awkward and is if I would rather be somewhere else. Even when my kids were growing up and on family outings I preferred being behind the camera than in front of it. On the other hand I love taking pictures of 'Diane'.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Hi Becky,

It is amazing isn't it? I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but some of my old photos, that is, really old photos from the 50's and 60's show a similar pattern. Rather distinctive when examined in retrospect. Not so sure they are really showing what I think they are showing, but my poses, smiles, etc. do seem to have a somewhat feminine flavor to them and are different from other males when in a group photo. If this behavior pattern, whether genetic or acquired when very young, was there even though not expressed in a more mature form those old photos may actually reveal more about us than we think. Hard to prove, but it is a great speculation.

Gretchen

Gretchen, the other boys in the pictures seem to own their space, I seemed to be trying to hide in mine
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Becky you made me go pull out my old year books from school back in the dark ages and the family get togethers from dad seven brothers and two sisters. In the school annuals I was always in the back. Usually just a face showing in the family photos of the thirty something cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandma n grandpa I was behind with still just a face showing. I was a shy youngster I suppose but in all the pictures one thing that stuck the most was I am usually besides the girls especially in the school photos. My case would be different with your Becky emerging decades later, Jaylyn emerged when I would play in moms things as a kid.

Silver Member
    I have a picture from back in the 50s when I was maybe jr high age. What is obvious is that I had projection on par with several of the girls. It is one of the few pictures I have. We lost all our pictures among other things many years ago.