Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You are not a Girl

You are not a Girl

Said to me earlier today.

Today is the last day before my wife flies back home. I shaved close, did the make up and took off for a nearby city where they have a Dress Barn, but any way.

So hitting the Starbucks, an older child with probably some developmental issues and his mom pass me where the child says to me You are not a girl. I am not going to do this justice but,

Before I could react, the mom launches in how yes she is a girl and not all girls have to look like other girls and sometimes people’s brains don’t match their bodies and on. She was great. The kid took it all in and as I left he said that yes I was a girl.

This is the second heart stopping moment this week but in a good way. It is teaching me that even though the news is full of hate, the people I come into contact with are really nice.

So, good luck out there and enjoy life!

The avvy pic isn't me
    That is so awesome!!

I probably wouldn't have been able to stop myself from spending a minute or so thanking her, but then again in a public place like that I can see that it may not be so easy for everyone.

When I come in contact with the truly wonderful peeps like that I always think of wanting an instant cloning device or something.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    Wow that is so cool what great parenting. I am amazed buy her explanation to her child. She gets mom of the month in my book.
    Love&hugs XOXO

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Yes there are nice people out there so it does give hope.
    There is a local gas station/ store that I used to go in a lot and one older lady needed thru the lone quickly so I let her around me.
    She said thank you dear it means so much to me that there are nice people in the world.
    The one guy said its a dude and the older lady said well that may be but she is a lot more refined than the likes of you.
    I never said a word and several people spoke up and said I think she looks great so leave her alone.

Not everyone carries a pitchfork.

When out and about I try to avoid malls at school breakup time.

Teenage girls spot you a mile away.

Just one of the hazards of life. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    It is my belief that if every CD hater or sceptic could sit down and chat with a dressers for 1/2 hour, trans phobia would practically vanish overnite!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Oh to be an English Rose Jane G's Avatar
    That's such a good thing to read. The world is not such a bad place.

Christie,

Kids will be kids. I've written in the past about two incidents involving kids. The first was at a "Pay To Pee" public toilet. The mom was searching her purse to find the change so she and her young daughter could use the facilities. I had plenty of change so I offered her the 20p needed. She offered what change she had but I said not to bother as I knew what it was like having kids and when they need to go, they need to go. So she said to the girl, "Say thank you to the kind lady". I could tell the kid was slightly bemused but she did as she was asked.

Second incident I was sat enfemme in my car about to phone home when a 20 something woman with a young, 8-10 year old boy walked past. She looked at me and I could see she was mouthing words towards me. Well I expected the worst, this was going to be abuse but when she walked around to my door I realised she was saying, "You look amazing". Well the young boy was stood looking at me and, with a puzzled look said, "Are you a man?" I just smiled and nodded.

These things happen. Goes with the turf.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

1) GO THAT MOM! for teaching her child properly about gender non-conformity.
    2) You’ve just gotta own it with those kind of comments. My response to that sort of comment would be “Oh of course not! This is WAY too much fabulous to fit into one gender!

Good story Christie, thanks for sharing
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Quote Originally Posted by Christie ann View Post
    It is teaching me that even though the news is full of hate, the people I come into contact with are really nice.
    My experience exactly! Truer words were never spoken. A story well told.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    That is such a nice story to hear.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Wonderful story !

(Somewhere) I read one that was almost the opposite! The little girl asked why the man was dressed like a woman! The mother was shocked and could not answer! The man dressed like a woman bent down and told the little girl that sometimes men are born with a man's body but a woman's brain and that is why he was dressed that way! The women worded Thank you and walked off with her daughter! I just love stories like these! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Nice to hear these positive stories of decent people actually acting ...well, decent.
    Thanks for sharing.

Christie, I'm so glad the mom was on the ball.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Very cool. Kudos to the Mom but also to you for handling it well. Clearly you were the kid's first transgender person and you just set their expectations for how we behave -- if you had freaked out, that would have colored their sense of TG folk for the rest of their life. Nice job.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

"Here, M'am. Let me buy you a coffee. Perhaps we can chat."
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Silver Member
    That mother is a gem and her son will become a man worth knowing. It sounds like you don't actually pass for female, but I hope you can see it doesn't really matter. In fact, I think there's more teaching potential when a CD doesn't pass. I like to think I have a role to play as an ambassador for all CD'ers, by showing the world that I'm just a normal person with nonstandard clothing tastes. It is my hope that some deeply fearful, closeted CD sees me and realizes "If he can do it, I can too". Friends have told me it has happened already, but I've seen no evidence yet.

Reality Check
    That was nice of the woman. Thanks for sharing/
    Krisi

Banned Read only
    That's one thing about kids. They blurt out whatever is on their minds. You suggest the child may have had developmental issues. We have within our family and friends children with autism or asperger syndrome who lack societal social graces. The child's mother handled it well.

Great response from the mother, thanks for sharing
    OMG!! Owning my femininity .... and I LOVE it!

Platinum Member
    There are good people out there!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Awesome encounter! Thanks for sharing.
    Happy Heels!

Wonderful story. Nice to have hear something that is lovely and heartwarming.