Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing a GP

I think if it was up to my emotional side, I'd pick female doctors. But honestly, I just want someone I have confidence in and that overrules any other consideration.

I did come out to my primary care doctor (male) about a year before I started getting medical involvement in my transition. I had lost a lot of weight and he asked why, so I told him. From that day on, at each visit he would ask after my "motivating factor" -- a term I think he was using so he wouldn't out me to his nurse. A year later I started moving on transition and since he was coordinating my care, he saw and could understand all the details. He also wrote my letters for changing my documents when that time came along. I guess to me I would wonder why you would NOT come out to your doctor, but people have their reasons.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I chose my PCP many years ago partly based on my being more comfortable in this area with a woman. She is very competent and over the years we have built up a good rapport. More recently for some reason I have been seeing her PA who is also female and also very good. I'm more comfortable with women in this role so I see no reason to change. I'm planning to open up about my dressing at my next appointment as I would like to have my hormone levels checked and I'm tired of hiding this party of myself away all the time.

I actually have 2 GP's / Primary Care Provider's due to fact that I am double covered for my healthcare under 2 different health insurance programs.

One of my GP's is male and he is my primary GP. My other GP is female, and I only see her once a year just keep my name on the books. Both do not know about Sarah at all , nor have I ever felt that I needed to tell them anything about her. But if I HAD TO, I would do that with my female GPM. Like one of the poster's said above, I too would feel much more comfortable in talking to / and relating to, my female GP than I ever would with my my male GP who has become a good acquaintance of mine also over these many years. So, if Sarah ever needs any medical attention it will be with my female GP.

If I ever do start HRT (something I am pondering) I will certainly try to do it with my female GP or a female Endo.

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

"Sport is for men.......But Ballet is for women" ---- George Balenchine

Banned Read only
    Andy,
    I found a GPs gender unimportant , they are either on board or not , my male doctor was great and referred me to counsellors without a problem . When he retired I joked with him about not taking up silly hobbies like CDing !! My new GP is female and when I asked about treating the arthritis in my toe joints she said it shouldn't be too much of a problem providing I wear sensible shoes so I replied nothing over 4" heels, she smiled and said I thought you might say something like that !

I'd settle for a doctor of either sex. Right now I've got a nurse practitioner and while she is quite nice, I've never felt that the level of competence was equivalent, particularly as i have a number of serious medical issues and lately more have loomed their ugly heads.I'm being charged doctors fees and believe I need to get that level of service.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

I've always had a male doctor, only one at the medical centre I go to seemed to be any good, then I had a bad sinus infection and went to see my doctor of choice but he was on leave so I saw another male doctor, he gave me antibiotics for the infection, but after I finished taking them I still had the infection, so I went back to the medical centre, but the only doctor on was a female, I reluctantly saw her and to my surprise she was more helpful than all the other male doctors put together, she brought up images of the sinus area and explained how it worked and explained to my what was going wrong and said that the antibiotics the other doc gave me were useless for this kind of infection and gave me a script for stronger ones, a week later it cleared up.
    Months later I bought a pair of long female boots, but after only 20 minutes in them my right foot was killing me, so I went and saw my new female doctor and asked to have my foot x-rayed as I could not wear high healed boots, she looked surprised and asked if I am a crossdresser so I said yes, her reaction was incredible, she broke out into a big smile and said that it was wonderful and has supported me ever since.
    Sophie Mosley

my pcp is female and I never said anything to her until she said how she liked the color of my sneakers. I then told her my pants and shirt and sneakers were female, at this point she said she was very happy that I had the confidence tell her. I told her my wife and her were the only people that I ever told. The next time I went to see her she asked me what kind of panties liked most. She then told me that she had tried panties with a wide waste band and she hated them. I told her that I was wearing some real lite weight jockey panties I showed her and she wanted to know where she could get some. I said at the jockey store at the outlet or on line. The next time in to see her she said she had gotten some and loved them. Did not show me
    My story is the song "Reflection" by Jackie Evancho

Had a female doctor for years till she moved back east. The office has many doctors and they assigned me a male doctor. But I don't always see him. Both he and the last doctor knew about me as a CDer. Last year a fill out a from that asked male , female transgender I marked transgender. Now it's on all my medical records for all to see.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN