Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do You Buy Dresses and Clothes even know you can't dress?

Just recently I bought my first dress at a consignment shop. I asked permission to try it on and the woman running the store said "Yes". (The dress was marked down to $8). I have been back several times and the shop keeper and I have had great conversations about what kind of dress and other things that I might like. I know that I will buy more and have a very limited chance to wear them especially heels.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    This, I think, explains it well. I have cut back, as I have way too much stuff I'll never wear, but there's a thrill, maybe a dopamine high, from buying new clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I can understand doing it. If you can't dress but you still have the need to express feminine then I can understand buying clothes as a sort of psychic band-aid. It might be more practical to focus on some other aspect of femininity than clothing -- something you can do. But clothing is such a big, visible signal that I understand the fixation.
    Life is too short to be boring.

Absolutely! Dresses, skirts/blouses, cute shoes & boots - I have little opportunity to dress, but doggone it, I'm going to have a sweet wardrobe to pick from when I have the chance. Just have to figure out makeup to cover my ugly mug.

When I started out, I had a hard time eyeballing what clothing sizes would fit me and that meant that some items I have bought will never be worn.

A few months in, I can now gauge much better whether something will fit me or not, but everything I buy is done so with the intention to wear it at some point in the future.

I find just having a beautiful dress even if you can't wear it is so cool!
    I hate to admit it but, I have bought a few super sexy dresses that didn't even fit!
    It's a bummer being SZ 18 Woman's and loving dresses! There's so many size 8 to 12 W but 18, not!
    Last edited by Judy-Somthing; 02-22-2018 at 09:24 PM.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

I keep flip flopping back and forth between "need" and "want" so to speak. At times I'll say no to a dress, skirt, or blouse on the basis I don't "need" another one. Other times I just can't resist the "I want it" temptation. Keep in mind my wife's fine with me wearing what I please around the house, but not with the idea of me being out in public. There's reason to believe she'll soon overcome that objection, at which point I'll likely make a lot more purchases based on both need and want. lol

Karen