Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recognition at Last

I too want to say how happy I am for your happiness! Because of our similar ages you are an inspiration to me.

Thank you Devorah,

We all inspire each other I think?

Aviatrix in Waiting Melanie Moxon's Avatar
    Aww, wonderful news Janice, congratulations.

Aspiring Member
    Congratulations Janice, I'm so pleased for you.

I think you may be right about being inspired by others.

I found much inspiration some years ago from a transitioned lady I met though the forum.
    She took the time to meet up, including taking me to my first TG Group Meeting.
    It certainly helped, getting me out of my shell wasn't easy if I recall.
    Needing to be the Real Me.

Thank you Emma,

I think you are right? In a sense we are a community and with the exception of a few, we all do try to help each other along what is a happy, but at times a tricky road.

Thanks for your congratulations much appreciated.

I'm giving a link here

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2...nacted/en/html

to Ireland's Gender Recognition Act that came into force in 2015. This is the sort of legislation that we should have in every country in the world.

If you're over 18, the procedure for getting your legally recognized gender changed is very simple. You fill in a little application form that hardly takes 3 minutes to complete, get it notarized by a lawyer, then send it off to the relevant state office. Within a short time--perhaps 10 days, 2 weeks--you receive your "Gender Recognition Certificate". It's that simple.

Once you have your Gender Recognition Certificate, you can get your birth cert amended, and then all your other documents fall in place. You're not required to see a psychiatrist/psychologist to get a diagnosis of GID. You're not required to have completed HRT or GCS or anything else. You simply declare your gender and it is legally recognized.

The shortcomings of the legislation are that if you're 16-17, then you have to jump through the usual hoops to get a Gender Recognition certificate (I believe you have to have the approval of your parents, two psychologists and a judge); and there is currently no provision for people under 16 or for non-binary people. But there are moves currently in the Parliament to get these deficiencies remedied.

Hopefully other countries will adopt this sort of legislation because there's no reason why we should have to have so much hassle being recognized for what we are.

Twisted Thunderbird, Thank you for your nice comments;

Secondly, Foxglove you provide some interesting reading and words for thought? Thanks for the link, I'm sure people will read with interest?