Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: We Rock.....dont we

Definitely a rocker, I play bass as well.

Anyone liking the Nasty Habits? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2F2yDxbx6Pk they certainly rock

Quote Originally Posted by Micki_Finn View Post
    While I like Rock I’m going to totally stir the pot here:

Rock and Roll is dead.

Think about it all you rockers, who do you love? Chances are it’s a band from the 60s, 70s or 80s. The last great creative resurgence of rock and roll was the Grunge movement 20 years ago. When was the last time you heard a really great NEW rock band?
    possibly true, but dead.....no way the station i listen too is peppered with those 60' 70' 80' bands but these are some of the newer artists

bush- theory of a dead man- 3 doors down- kid rock- smashing pumpkins- blur- imagine dragons- foo fighters- evanescence- great von fleet- 3 days grace- godsmack- soundgarten- shinedown- highly suspect- STP- 10 years- blink 182- chevelle- seether- buck cherry- 30 seconds to mars- 5 finger death punch- halestorm- foo fighters- rise against- pearl jam- tool

now some of these i'll assume came from grunge movement but these are current and viable recording artists......the ability for real rock bands making it is hampered by the labels inabilities to see profits early on from bands that would need to be established...kinda like the networks that will not let new TV series establish an audience and drop series after one or two seasons.....everybody seeks instant gratification and PROFITS.....rock & roll was an escape from "the system" for me.

I've read that cheers would not have a shot in hell of making it by today's standards of ratings.

any new and emerging band nowadays are using social media to springboard into mainstream recognition so like tracii says support you local bands when you can.

so Micki " hey hey my my....rock and roll will never die" at least i hope in my lifetime....and i never thought of neil young as a rock artist.....kinda folksy for my taste.

and i do love other genre's of music, its as varied as a box of chocolate....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Are gonna throw down the "acts I have seen" glove? Come on. Bring it, bi***es. ☺

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by mykell View Post
    ............... so like tracii says support you local bands when you can.....
    I would but they are so awful! Doesn't anybody actually learn music these days? Like notes and chords? Progressions?

Music to me is not how loud you can play but how well you can play. Do your songs have melodies? Do the chords (if there's more than one) fit together in a musical progression? Can the words be heard and do they tell a story? Are you able to play at less than ear-splitting volume? Screaming at the top of your lungs over an open E chord is not really music.

I recently attended a "swing band" concert. Music of the 1920s through the 1950s. The concert was free and the musicians weren't that good (local school teachers and such, not full time pros), but the songs were there. Melodies, many chords, key changes, etc. That's the music my parents listened to and the music I grew up on until rock and roll took over.
    Krisi

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Krisi I get what you are saying and some bands are too loud and thats why I wear hearing protection.
    There have always been shitty bands that open shows for other bands and usually those have not been together very long and just starting out. We all start somewhere right?
    In my area there are so many great local bands you can go out most any Thurs thru Sat and see whatever music genre you prefer.
    The screamo metal I don't get into but I do a lot of work for those kinds bands and they are good people and thankfully the screamo/ gutteral vocals are going out of style and they are actually singing now. LOL The music is technical and they are a top shelf band but the vocals weren't my thing.
    If I can't understand the lyrics then I don't listen too it.
    Here is a taste of some friends of mine called the Past.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 03-03-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    Half the acts in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame would fit into multiple categories, including R&B. I don't think anyone would dispute that Janis Joplin was a rock star, but her roots were pure blues and R&B. Getting back to Brittany Howard, to my ear, there's a whole lot of the late Tom Petty in that girl's style, and few would dispute that artist's credentials. The bottom line... categories don't work. The lines are so subjective. For instance, I was at Willies July 4th Picnic last summer and saw a couple of acts, including Lukas Nelson and The Promise of The Real that day, that I would plunk into the rock category. Like I said, you have to know where to look for it, cause it is not on the air in any commercial sense.
    While I agree that may artists can fit an array of categories, All I'm reallytry'n to say is that BH lists Bon Scott or Robert Plant of Led Zep as an influence, and I just don't hear them in her...

Silver Member
    So, what do L's and G's and B's listen to? Show tunes? Ballet music, elevator music, or anti government podcasts? Surely not Country.

Banned Read only
    Love this thread. Would love to learn how to play guitar, electric or otherwise. People tell me odds of an old dude (or CD in my case ) sticking with it are pretty small. Appreciate any tips for learning. And oh yeah the world needs more female guitar artists. Maybe even a few more of us

Silver Member
    I grew up listening to the music and songs of the 30s, 40s and 50s. That included all of the Big Bands, show tunes and pop music of the eras. I still like them and the songs that had story telling lyrics that weren't repeated over and over again. Plus, I've come to enjoy classical, orchestral and band music (sorry, not opera). So, how would you define me? <grin>

Platinum Member
    Political Correctness is totally going to ruin the whole world!
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!