Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We Rock.....dont we

We Rock.....dont we

being firmly in the gender non conforming camp i was put aback this past week when i was asked to not play my radio station when a gay mens chorus was to meet at the club to size up our place for an upcoming performance during pride week.

i was firmly told LGBT folks dont listen to rock ???? says who, my experience here is we as the "T" certainly do. The nerve of this person i thought, act different.....gay people will be coming dont embarrass me ?

from threads such as "do guitars make us crossdressers" and some doing performances dressed playing rock tunes. preferring to put on a dress and heels in know way makes us like something other than what we like.

so id like to know who here Rocks....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

There are only 2 forms of music Rock and Roll! OK, yes I do like a little of each kind of music but mainly-rock! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Hell yeah I rock. I’ve been a guitar player and in rock/metal band for the past 32 years. I listen to rock radio 10+ hours a day and usually jump at the chance to see a favorite rock band. I still take guitar lessons as I don’t think you ever stop learning. I like jazz and classical as well, but rock is my life blood.
    If you only knew the power of the pink fog! ~Joss

I can't imagine there is much correlation between the music we listen to and the clothes we choose to wear.

Standing w Bass Guitar-FC.jpg Just Around the House BTop w GSkirt-FC.jpg

Do we rock? Oh yes, we do; en femme. Sometimes we rock ourselves!
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Dyed in the wool metal head rocker here and have been since the beginning of metal with Black Sabbath.(saw them live in 1970).
    Love all kinds of music but hard rock and metal are my thing.
    Played in a few bands over the years and still listen to rock and roll everyday.
    Gee this is an old pic.LOL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tracii G; 02-26-2018 at 09:36 AM.

Oh dear -- last week I had to tell one of my gay friends that he was faking it because he didn't meet the list of criteria that was published by Indonesia. This week I'll have to tell even more of them that they aren't gay because they listen to the wrong music. Where will it end? Clearly we all all defined by our secondary and tertiary characteristics and simply BEING something is not enough. You have to act like it as well. Get acting, ladies....
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Sorry, country girl here. All of you pretenders are going to have to turn in your clothes. LOL!

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    Similar to my wardrobe, I sit on both sides of the fence...I like both Classic Rock and Country. I been to many concerts, from AC/DC (hmmm...another CD reference?) to Def Leppard to Sugarland to Little Big Town. Only thing I can't stand is rap and hip-hop. Some of the new stuff in the pop category can also make my ears bleed.
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Its funny at metal shows nobody cares who is gay or dresses enfemme.
    Its all about the love of that style of music, who you are and what you are makes no difference.
    I do Like all different kinds of music from Celtic to country from 60s rock to classical if its good I will listen to it.
    Been to hundreds of concerts over the years encompassing all styles of music.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 02-25-2018 at 10:31 AM.

I even have an extensive Melvis Pressbee collection

Lots of original 45s and I can do Johnny Cash, Abba and they tell me Kylie Minogue is for the gays.

Oh! well what a twisted rocker I turned out to be.

Sorry Tracii, not really into heavy metal, but I do read all your escapades.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aviatrix in Waiting Melanie Moxon's Avatar
    Erm, I rather like heavy rock and metal myself. I dunno who decides these things.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Who the f... told you that! I love music of all kinds, especially rock, punk, metal, industrial; my son, who is gay, is the same. I've got everything from Strauss to Slayer in my collection. Tish and piffle for sure.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Aspiring Member
    Growing up in the '50s I was attracted to women's clothes and I liked rock and roll. Now sixty years later I haven't changed.

Aspiring Member
    Middle of Oregon, on the West side, but my feet aren't wet!
    Rock and Rolllllllll !!!!!!!!

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    I'm a classic rock fan but I'll listen to just about anything.

Based on my wholly unscientific anecdotal observations, the musical tastes of gay men fall into to two broad categories; "dance club" music (techno and/or hip-hop) or classics/show tunes. Age is a reliable indicator of which group an individual will find himself. Yes, of course that's a stereotype. Stereotypes don't appear out of thin air, they arise from repeated observation. The mistake is in applying that stereotype to all members of the group. Of course not every gay male is a devotee of show tunes, but...
    You knew there was a "but" coming, right?
    ...but choral groups, as a group, tend to favor musical genre's that are... something other than rock. I can understand a savvy businessperson not wanting that chorus to be put off by a certain ambiance. Sure, it might be a one-night performance, but it would be a big one, in other words, good for business.

Banned Read only
    Mykell,
    It sounds like the person concerned was just passing on their own personal likes and dislikes, I'm afraid the short answer to them is you are talking total BS !!!

The fact they were a male chorus has no bearing on their sexual preferences or their personal musical tastes . They were meeting as singers and not visiting a gay bar !

thats kind of crazy Talk about stereo typing. Whoa
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

For me it is classic rock and roll. Styx, Reo Speedwagon, Bob Seger, AC/DC etc. and the later 90s early 2000s Country.( Rock and Roll country) Toby Kieth, Travis Tritt Etc. I usually have the house radio on SiriusXM Classic vinyl.

Kelsey

Elitist come in all genders and I guess sexual preferences, good thing I wasn't there I've been in a confrontational mood lately. I hope it wasn't the person I met there during a visit.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Platinum Member
    I'm curious, what kind of music was deemed appropriate. I'd be willing to bet that members of the gay chorus listened to things other than choral music. Might even have been some blue grass fans among them!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I am a small time DJ that does 50's, 60's & 70's rock and roll ONLY
    Sometimes I like to dress as Linda Leigh

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Aspiring Member natalie edwards's Avatar
    Go on I Heart Radio and listen to Pride Radio. I can listen here in NYC it's 103.5 WKTU HD2. No rock, just dance, club music, and some disco classics.
    That's probably what they meant.

I,like basically all types of music except the yelling, loud, obnoxious type. I have played in a Rock Band in the sixties when rock and roll was the thing. I grew up also playing the old type country and have adapted to the country we have listen to today on the stations. Dad taught me some bluegrass on the mandolin, but loved my old guitar and playing it. We had a good country band in the 70s and early 80s. I still have enough equipment to start one today.
    I don't believe that guitars make us crossdressers or electric Les Paul guitars make us a rocker. I own two Les Paul Gibsons and I'm not gay. But am a crossdresser. I don't think one can define their gender or what they conform to by the music one listens to. Yep I like rock and especially rocking country.