Thread: Physical issues preventing us from going out.

Physical issues preventing us from going out.

Four years ago I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis and 3 herniated lumbar disks lower back. Most times require me to walk with a cane due to balance problems. I'm so afraid of falling in public especially while dressed. I'm not that pro-active about doing prescribed PT and exercises and realize that I must get myself in better shape. Wondering if any of the gals out there have the same issues?

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have 2 cracked vertebrae one is mid thorasic and the other is L 5 (lower back). Add to that arthritis in the neck but chiropractic care keeps that flexible.
    The mid back one was from a seizure in 2000 and the other was fast roping out of a helicopter.
    Anyway I have inner ear issues as well so balance has always been spotty at times.
    None of it keeps me from dressing or going out because I am trans and that is how I roll LOL
    My chiropractor does wonders keeping my spine in line and if it weren't for her I wouldn't be walking.
    Back pain can be excruciating so I feel for you Joann.

Banned Read only
    I have M.S. and use a pair of canes to walk around. My balance is crap and during the winter it's baby steps all the way. But I also swim and exercise. I'm so used to falling that it no longer phases me. I wear wedges instead of heels and dress head to toe daily.

So find a gym with a pool and walk, stretch, and swim in it. It'll do wonders.

I have got 2 collapsed discs in my neck, L3,L4, and L5 discs, all in trouble plus a double curvature of my spine ( born with that) I am in pain most days but have learnt to live it and the curvature of ly spine which prevents me from standing up straight like everybody else has not stopped me dressing or going out. Its a matter of managing the pain and getting on with and enjoying life.
    I started life a lost man now I am a found woman

Silver Member Majella St Gerard's Avatar
    My main physical problem is my right knee, I have had two operations to clean up torn cartilage, now I don't have any cartilage left so it's bone on bone and limits my physical activity. Some days I can't wear heels. Some disc problems and arthritis, normal getting old stuff.

I have both knees that have arthritis so bad that my legs continually bow and now affect my hips. After two operations on both knees for torn miniscus and an ACL tear. No wearing of heels for any length of time and almost always wear maxis or midis. Lets not even start with my arthritic hands and the twisting of my fingers.I could have very easily became a part of the opioid problem but went with my "hippie" ways and use holistic methods.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Reality Check
    Keep in mind that women also have these same physical problems and they "go out". Some walk with canes or crutches, some with walkers and some in wheelchairs. Sure, you may not be able to walk in six inch heels but most actual women don't walk in them either. Just as a real woman would, you accommodate your physical problems the best you can and get on with life. And that includes going out.
    Krisi

Banned Read only
    Joann,
    My sympathies , it must be so frustrating when you really feel the need to be out and about.

Arthritis gets to most of us over the years , so yes you are right try and keep active and keep the weight off if possible.

The only serious pain I've had is being called a pain in the neck by my wife ! Well we now live twenty miles apart so I've cured that particular ailment !