Thread: Great news from the orthopedist /sarcasm

Great news from the orthopedist /sarcasm

So I had my ankle MRId a few weeks ago. I was told the results were inconclusive. I scheduled the followup for today. In the mean time, I began thinking that the 4.25" stilletos might have been a bad idea so I ordered a pair of 3.25 blck heels and a new skirt and top from Lane Braynt (which should be here tomorrow). I also am getting to work from home Thursday woo hoo!

Go to the Orthopedist today and he says he wants to "pke around". I am thinking he might want to try draining some fluid off of it. After he is done poking and squeezing, he looks up and says, ". You have a torn tendnand when a tendon is torn like that it requires surgery to repair." My heart sank for a bunch of reasons. 3-6 weeks in a cast and then a boot.

Anyone else have surgery to repair a torn parenial tendon?

Did that really come from wearing high heels or an old injury? Usually a torn tendon is from a fall or slip and all the weight is pressing on that one tendon. I'm no Doctor so would like to know if heels caused this.

I dont think it was caused by my heels. Injury was already there before i bought the 4 inch. I remember getting up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and it was hurting. I only wear them around the house and had been wearing the peep toes with a 3.25 inch heel and a .75 platform. I do not remember stumbling or anything in them.

Banned Read only
    There are plenty of articles concerning high heels and foot injuries on sites authored by podiatrists. Causes are numerous. The articles are good reading for anyone wanting to wear high heels. It more complicated than just strapping on a heel higher than a flat. "Google" the issue.

theoretically heels should lesson the impact on your tendons. It's why women over say the age of 50 have worn heels so long that their tendons shorten and it hurts to wear flats.

I am jusr wondering if anyone else had this type of sumrgery and how the recovery and PT went.

I'm a Lumberjack & I'm OK
    I did not have this surgery, but I did break my ankle. I was non-weight bearing for 7 weeks.

I got something called "I Walk Freely" instead of crutches or a kneeling scooter. That thing is like a peg leg, but works great. I had both hands free while "walking around".

I think it was unwise of you to continue with "high" heels considering the injury.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Ouch, Had a tendon repaired when I was 17, rebounded in about 3 weeks, but I was 17.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

I tore my tendon a couple of years ago. The surgeon decided to let it heal with out opening me up. Wore a removable boot for a month and was on the road driving long haul in a month. Explained to me that with surgery I would be healing for a year and no driving which is tough to do when you run an 18 speed trans and you have to make truck payments. Only difference now is that I ended up buying shoes and boots a size bigger because one foot is a bit larger now. Try and stay away from surgery.

Thanks for all of the replies.

@Alwayshave - my dressing time is usually planned with the once a month or sonthat I can work from home, so I am mostly sitting. The highest heel i have worn around the house is the 2.75". I noticed that the heel tip is turned just a bit somit would get snagged slightky on then den carpet. Adjacent to the den is our sun room with a lot of windows and we have new "behind us neighbors". If I needed to go to the back of the house Imwould jusr slip on some socks.

I will probably be returning the new block heels and ordering some flays (which i have been looking for anyway).

Silver Member
    Sounds odd to me that he went from inconclusive with an MRI and then poked around and found it???? He then says, surgery out of the blue? Why did he not poke around before sending you for a costly test? What about trying rest then PT. Completely torn tendons need surgery but partial tears can heal on their own. Start conservative...then surgery.
    Does your insurance allow second opinions? Some have lower co-pays for them, not many anymore though. The MRI is yours so ask for it and bring it to a second unrelated doctor. Surgery of any kind should be preceded by a 2nd opinion unless life threatening. I would also ask whoever you have do the surgery (if you need it) their experience and outcomes. If you live near a big city try to find an expert in your plan there, they see so many more cases than in the sticks.

The good news as far as the MRI cost is that they have their own machine and on staff radiologist so it was significantly cheaper than I expected. I thought about a second opinion last night. The group I go to is the most reputable I. town. My doctor's father took care of the same leg back in high school (as well as a wrist lol).

According to the doc; the tendon is split. I described it as what happens to a straw when you bend and break it.

Silver Member
    If a 2nd opinion is affordable, I would suggest it and again due to the way he discovered it. A partial tears can sometimes heal, surgery should be a last resort. The same leg had a different problem last time I hope?

I recently had my shoulder examined by a new dr. and she did the physical exam and thought she knew the problem. She offered to do an xray (insurance requires one before an MRI) which she said would show nothing but it would allow the MRI to be covered. The MRI would rule out any tears but she doubted I had any so the other option (the one we are now trying) was physical therapy and if that much cheaper option doesn't work we can go the other route. PT is a no harm no foul approach. Just my tw cents,good luck.

Thiscwas my 4th appt. I did a month of anti inflammatory meds and a few weeks in a boot alreasy.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Look on the brite side, Hollibelle. If u get it fixed, think 5" heels when u heal!

But, remember my rule: Wear hi spike heels anywhere. Except on shag or similar carpeting!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

haha thanks Sherry.