Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wondering about previous owners

Wondering about previous owners

I buy most of my clothes and shoes at thrift stores, so most of it is used. If you do the same, do you ever wonder what the previous owner looked like, how she looked in the clothes, and how she came to part with it? I have some beautiful dresses and skirts and can't imagine wanting to part with them.

Never thought about it once. Never thought to think about it. This trigger might make it happen in the future though.

Thrift shops, or to give them the UK name, Charity shops, can be an excellent source for some good quality items. There's a town near to where I live, where the ladies have a certain reputation for keeping up with the latest fashions, and also for purchasing top brands or labels. So while I do wonder how they could part with some of the clothes, I never think about them as individuals, except that is, Why there are so few that are my size?

When I see a woman dressed nicely, I think, I'd love to have an outfit like that. So, when I find a nice outfit at a thrift store, I thank the lady for trading it in, so I get a chance with it.

Platinum Member
    I think to women clothes are clothes. Maybe the wedding dress is boxed up in a closet or some other dress has sentimental value. Probably the biggest purge for women is weight going up and down. My wife goes through that and it is maddening. Buy the clothes. Don't fit. Donated. Buy almost the same thing again. Same with styles. Over the last two years my wife donated a ton of nightgowns from the early years of our marriage. Once she was petite. Now not some much. Sigh! It pained me more than her to see them go. Sometimes on eBay the seller is modeling her own clothes for sale. I've bought many dresses at JCPenny.Com. The models definitely look a lot better than I. My wife does buy her jeans when possible at thrift stores. I've never had an inkling she wonders who wore them.

Reychelle, I found a really gorgeous expensive branded dress (I cannot remember the brand) the dress looked brand new and retailed for $400 and was still available in the shops, I too wondered who had bought the dress and how it landed up at a charity shop on sale for $25... I wore it out for dinner one night.
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

LOL the only time I ever think about it is when I wonder if I'm wearing something that someone died in

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    I've bought many items at charity shops but I don't really give too much thought to the previous owners. I'm more concerned at the condition of the item and if it will suit (and fit) me. I have found out that shops in more well to do areas usually have better quality stuff.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Like Reychelle I do wonder about the previous owners to. I wonder what they were like and if they liked the item of clothing. They probably don't even think about what might have happened to the clothing they have donated. I certainly don't. Is there an idea for a story here?

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Never gave it any thought.
    I did trade clothes with a GG I used to know and she was beautiful and had a very sexy body.
    She was the first GG I came out to and my very first GG shopping buddy.
    Now when I tried her stuff on I did get a sense of connection to her which was nice.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 03-01-2018 at 06:40 PM.

I buy at thrifts stores. Can't say I never that about the owners.
    Part Time Girl

Interesting question. I almost never go to thrift stores to shop. Simply because I am too lazy and do not have the patience required to sort through all the racks/

Quote Originally Posted by audreyinalbany View Post
    LOL the only time I ever think about it is when I wonder if I'm wearing something that someone died in
    Oh how I wish i had not read your answer Audrey, everytime I see anything in a thrift store now I won't be able to get your post out of my mind arghhh
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Quote Originally Posted by Alice B View Post
    Interesting question. I almost never go to thrift stores to shop. Simply because I am too lazy and do not have the patience required to sort through all the racks/
    Some thrift shops are easier to shop in since they sort by size so you only need to look in a few spots for the things that will fit you. Granted the selection is totally random. And I really hate thrift shops that sort by color, I don't ever go to those ones anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Becky Blue View Post
    Oh how I wish i had not read your answer Audrey, everytime I see anything in a thrift store now I won't be able to get your post out of my mind arghhh
    Yup, definitely going to be in the back of my mind now too.

I have shopped at thrift stores ever since a teenager for my male clothes. I definitely have less clothing regret at the thrift store since you know if it washes well and holds up well already (and if it doesn't less money lost). I definitely notice better quality clothes in the women's section (I could list some stereotypes why this might be the case).

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Alice most thrift shops and Goodwill separate things by size and have for many years so I assume its been a long time since you have been shopped in one.
    Lots of great deals in thrift stores you just have to be willing to look for the bargains.

I thought about the previous owner the first time I bought a skirt, but I never think about it now. The first was about five years ago.

Sami
    My new blog: The Crossdresser Report
    https://crossdresserreport.com/

The wedding dress I bought that I'm wearing in my Avatar made me think, "If the bride only knew who ended up wearing it"!
    The sales lady said "it's nice to see this dress getting a new home" I don't know if she figured it was for me but she's has seen me buy at least ten dresses SZ 18!
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

I have bought clothes at thrift stores and never considered it until you brought it up.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

YOU MIGHT HAVE BOUGHT SOMETHING THAT I GAVE UP PURGING. The last time I purge I donated to Goodwill. That was years ago. A lot us purge but don't toss things out just donate them.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

I have wondered about the previous owner on occasion. I’ve had a few items that have remnants of perfume and it certainly makes one aware of a previous owner.

Presently I have been looking for a new purse and am amazed at the variety and like new condition of so many. Women turn these things over like crazy.

Regarding the sorting of clothing by size. Most thrift stores sort by size and then color within that size. Very convenient. One exception I found was a Salvation Army store. They had all their sizes all mixed up and virtually impossible to shop. I will not go back there.

I have wondered about this. My favorite place to shop is a nearby consignment store and I have become good friends with the owner. During our conversations she has mentioned small things about the previous owners of some items I have bought (nothing confidential or revealing). I asked her once what she thought some of the women would think of they knew and in at least one instance she said the previous owner would have liked the idea.

Platinum Member
    Hi Reychelle , There is the possibility that it was a Crossdresser purging, It happens.>Orchid......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Aspiring Member
    Reychelle, I have often thought this too and Orchid I was just gonna say the same.....

I've purged a few times and believe what I've purged may end up on a charity wrack somewhere haha some of the things I'd actually buy back

Reality Check
    That (previous owner) has never crossed my mind. It's pretty common for women to buy new clothes either to follow the styles or because they have gained weight. Giving the old clothes to shops where they are sold to people who can't afford new clothes gives people some satisfaction of helping others.

The last time I was in line at a thrift store, there was a man in line asking his friend which of two shirts should he buy (for $3) to wear to a job interview. That hit me pretty hard.
    Krisi

Banned Read only
    I go to thrift store occasionally and when I pick out several pairs of women's jeans and go in the changing room and try them on I do wonder how the jeans looked and fit her feminine body. And I have wondered what her reaction would be to a guy wearing her jeans. I also am aware the SA's know I am trying on women's jeans and buying them. Probially he just is on the fem. side and likes wearing girl clothes, no big deal; different strokes for different folks. Do they wonder, is he's wearing panties??