Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wondering about previous owners

Reychellle,

[First,.... love your name. So exotic and soft sounding that rolls off the tongue.]

What an intriguing thought. I never once considered the previous owner of my many thrift shop items. I should though. Interesting.
    I usually launder a new thrift store purchase (first thing) for sanitary reasons. I don't take time to sniff them for scents or hints of other humans. But I can see where clothes may carry an animating spirit within them; or as you say, what was the previous owner all about.

BTW.... The Thrift Store is your best friend. I find the most amazing, sometimes fashionably old-fashioned, and sometimes unique dresses and outfits there; all for pennies on the dollar. I bought a great Calvin Klein blouse that I know was probably $80 new retail for $7.
    I have a dressing day today. I may go to The Veterans Store. Thanks.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

I believe when I wear the newly purchased clothes or shoes that I'm channelling the former female owner. I have a pair of 3" red heels that just speak lusty thoughts.

Banned Read only
    Reychelle,
    I often think about the previous owner , sometimes the item has a faint smell of their perfume , often I think it's nice and wonder what it is .

I rarely buy male clothes the thought of wearing another guy's clothes I find quite repulsive , OK perhaps I'm a little strange , I just love GGs and their clothes !!

Aspiring Member
    becky Blue - I have found lots of expensive dresses at thrift stores and wonder how someone could give up such an expensive dress that I am now getting for $3.00? Some of the dresses are just down right sexy as hell. I do imagine the woman that was wearing this to a club or wedding and how she felt wearing such a beautiful dress.

I do sometimes wonder about previous owners. But the thoughts can quickly get disturbing so I start to hum a little tune and distract myself. Thanks to this thread I now wonder what will happen to the clothes I donate in the future. I could just imagine the big grin on my face seeing a GG walking down the street looking fab in a skirt I had donated.
    Last edited by Drew GB; 03-03-2018 at 05:17 PM.
    You will find that most of the truths we cling to in life depend greatly on our own point of view.
    (Sir Alec Guinness as Obiwon Kanobi in Star Wars Return of the Jedi)

Not really,
    By the time I wash and iron the clothes they start anew for me.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hey all,

If anyone is interested there is a book titled 'The Secret Life of Dresses' by Erin Mc Kean. It's the story of a thrift store owner that wrote fictional stories about dresses she sold.

Cassidy

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    It does not bother ME any, as I started in my mother's clothing. They become MINE after I buy and wash them anyways. If anything, knowing that a GG once had worn them is a bit more "exiting" than wearing something NEW. Also, I do not worry about "dead Peoples" clothing----As if someone died in it.---The clothing in which someone died in would be discarded anyway, for various reasons.

Banned Read only
    Thrift stores in Hollywood have women shoes and clothes that fit large crossdressers.
    I found size 12,13,14,17 high heels in thrift stores in Hollywood. I found boots in size 14 and 15.
    I gotten winter dress coats that fit me.

I often see women with the same outfits I have and its a turn on for me. I like to see if they have a nice silhouette and figure in them.
    Never think much about previous owners except that wow they must have a nice figure and are really tall for a women with small waist.
    Last edited by Lindabrown; 03-04-2018 at 10:33 PM.

hello Reychelle,
    why are you assuming that the previous owner was a woman?
    (it might have been me!)
    luv J

Banned Read only
    that's funny LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by ReychelleC View Post
    I buy most of my clothes and shoes at thrift stores, so most of it is used. If you do the same, do you ever wonder what the previous owner looked like, how she looked in the clothes, and how she came to part with it? I have some beautiful dresses and skirts and can't imagine wanting to part with them.
    Yes i do indeed. I've been wondering exactly the same thing for years. We used to have a cupboard full of womens' clothes in our bathroom and I did occasionally wonder "Who was the last person to wear this?"
    As to why anyone would ever part with such beautiful clothes, one could possibly assume that maybe the women who originally wore them grew too big for them. That would be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Reychelle,

I rarely buy male clothes the thought of wearing another guy's clothes I find quite repulsive , OK perhaps I'm a little strange , I just love GGs and their clothes !!
    Teresa, I am the same way I won't buy men's clothes in a thrift store. I don't have any problem buying women's clothing though.

I seldom think about the previous owner. The only time I think of them is when I find something with an expensive price tag from the store on the item. Then I think "must be nice to be able to spend that much and not wear it", just to donate it so I can get it for a few bucks.

Silver Member
    You can relax about someone dying in the clothes. The odds on the clothes being suitable for resale is nil and none. In emergency situations the clothes are usually cut off. If the person passes in hospice care they are usually in hospital gowns. In any case because of bodily fluids and rigor mortis there really isn't a chance. A lot of times the person who died family will donate clothes to charity.

I'm a slip lover and you just can't find them anymore like before, so I will go into thrift stores and try to find classic slips. When I get home I wash them before I wear them, but can't help smelling them and usally they have the smell of perfume.
    I will ask my wife who is more experienced with women's perfume if she could tell me anything about the person who previously wore the slip, like age or culture. She could usally tell me a age margin, I find it interesting, my wife knows for my it's more about the texture and it's such a femine piece of clothing, but does insist they part with them because they are a article of the past and doesn't know anyone who wears one anymore except maybe older women.
    Well I know something about the last person who owned the last slip I bought, It was owned by a heavy smoker because I had to wash it three times to get the smell out.
    Last edited by Maria 60; 03-10-2018 at 09:25 AM.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    There's always some interesting finds in Las Vegas thrift stores. I've found expensive custom corsets, large and sexy bras and parts and pieces of *ehem* stripper outfits.
    Wife and I were in a store that had quite the assortment of high end Jimmy Choo and Vera Wang shoes along with custom made items.
    This sign caught my attention. Sort of creepy and reassuring all at the same time.

20180303_120032.jpg
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Never really paid much attention to the previous owners. I just love it when I can find something that looks great on me and I can call my own.

The only thought that crosses my mind in those instances is how wonderful it would be to be married to a GG like the previous owner who is the same size I am, and how much fun it would be to potentially be able to freely swap clothes with her.

I think about it all the time, but I doubt that the quality here is the same as in LV.

Aspiring Member
    I sometimes buy in charity shops but always wash or dry clean the purchases before wearing - I do not try them on in the shop and anything that doesn't fit I just donate back. There was one dress I rather liked that was too small so I got a dressmaker to turn it into a skirt. However charity shop dresses are no longer cheap - prices of £20 or more are becoming common, and you can buy very high quality new dresses for only slightly more than this in department store and boutique sales. I just bought four Issa dresses. Three of them were priced in the £30-£40 bracket and if you look on eBay they are well into three figures for used Issa dresses. I think women keep more than their wedding dresses for sentimental reasons but not much - the dress they were wearing when x happened. High end or middle retail sales can provide massive bargains. I don't want to put people off buying from charity shops though and the ones in smart areas are potential goldmines. I got a designer skirt suit form £25 in a charity shop in Edinburgh that was definitely a bargain and they sometimes have things from upmarket stores that still have tickets and there is a range of sizes so they have obviously been donated by the stores. I have a woman friend who only buys high end stuff so that when she is getting rid of it she uses a dress agency (which I assume to be what Americans call a consignment shop) and gets something for it. Unfortunately she is way smaller than me!