Thread: The Angel Known as My Wife

The Angel Known as My Wife

This is an essay I recently wrote on my blog, listed in my signature below. A thread running currently here got me thinking again. This post received some good feedback so I thought I'd bring it to an audience wider than my tens of readers.

Without the blessing of my wife, none of this happens. I am asked about our relationship often. I am told how lucky I am. I have always loved my wife, have always placed her well being number one in my life. I would do anything for my wife, I simply wish for her comfort and happiness. That is the motivating factor in how I move forward every day.

This feeling of responsibility (which includes our children, of course) has driven many decisions I have made at various stages of my life. Wanting to provide, needing to make these three wonderful people feel secure. We are by no means financially well off, but we are solidly middle class, maybe skewing toward upper middle class. But we are not driven by things like driving the newest car or taking the fanciest trips. We travel to see our children, that’s pretty much it. I drive a 12 year old car, my wife’s is eight years old. But it was important to me to put the kids through college and set them up to be independent. On that note, my life is a 100% success. Two professional children, with skill sets that will allow them to earn a living for their entire lives, zero college debt.

Many of the decisions I made along the way were successful, some blew up in my face, creating many years of difficulties. I also know the reality of the rest of my life, I will have to work until I die (paying for ten years of college will do that to you). Maybe not very hard, but there will be a need to generate income and to have health care. We do not have pensions, do not have that security our parent’s generation had. I have no confidence our horribly mismanaged government will be there for me or my wife.

We have been married for nearly 32 years now and have come out the other side together, surviving many issues that would have wiped out many couples. The failure of my business in 2004 and the subsequent collateral damage would have almost certainly destroyed a significant majority of marriages. We nearly lost each of our children to illness or accident. Thankfully, both survived in a relatively short amount of time. Lengthy issues like this can put major stress on any relationship. And oh yeah, I am a crossdresser.

I believe that I had accumulated a significant amount of equity into our marriage to get the benefit of the doubt once I finally told her. And then I imposed my own rules to make sure I kept her blessing to allow Kandi to thrive. Yes, she sees me dressed, but I do not dress for the express purpose of staying home. She sees me coming and going, often taking pictures for me. We talk when I get home before getting cleaned up. We sometime share things as we wear the same shoe size as well as wearing the same size skirt. I am allowed to access her purse collection, which allows me to be fashionable without the significant additional cost of owning my own purses. When I vet outfits, I do it while she is at work. I try not to leave Kandi’s things lying around.

We do not interact as girlfriends. I don’t believe she has an interest in that and I certainly do not as my number one role in my life is to be her husband. I also simply would not enjoy going out together as I would be worried about how she felt, how she deemed she is being perceived and would always be wondering if she were enjoying herself. Plus I would not be able to act as Kandi, I would be comporting myself like her husband and in that case, I literally would just be a guy in a dress.

Did I hide this from her for almost 30 years? Absolutely, but the truth of the matter I hid it from myself for almost 50 years. Until she gave that approval, there was no Kandi, just someone who only recently had accepted who he/she was. I had never even been dressed from head-to-toe, makeup, wig, etc. at that point in time. I mentioned above that I have always loved my wife, I am now in love with my wife. There is a difference and I never, ever take it for granted. While I have been allowed to accumulate quite a wardrobe, I believe she sees what I generally do with my Kandi time, giving to others.

So am I lucky? To be married to this woman, of course, but I tend to think I am not otherwise (lucky would be a much less complicated life). Am I blessed? Absolutely! Am I thankful? Certainly!

To those of you with your wife's support, cherish it! Never take it for granted and hold her in even higher esteem. It is a gift on a level I cannot imagine.
    Last edited by Kandi Robbins; 03-04-2018 at 09:07 AM.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Platinum Member
    Being relatively new among your "tens" of readers, I had not read this offering until you posted it here. It seems you're in a very good place, possess an understanding of your wife, yourself and your priorities.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Wow Kandi your writing is inspiring and wonderful. Thanks for sharing. I too count my wifes love and support as the most important thing in my life.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

Great post, I'm also blessed with a perfect wife, I'm so lucky

Very nice post - a wonderful family

That's a really beautiful post and a testament to how love conquers all.

Nice thread Kandi, I am blessed also. and I am thankful to have a nice SO.
    Part Time Girl

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kandi Robbins View Post
    A thread running currently here got me thinking again.

To those of you with your wife's support, cherish it! Never take it for granted and hold her in even higher esteem. It is a gift on a level I cannot imagine.
    Being nearly completely on the other end of the acceptance scale, there's is still quite a lot to consider. Although there is no support, I do keep in check that I unwaveringly love my wife. And the responsibility to be a loving and protecting husband and life companion is truly more important than any extra activity be it crossdressing, golfing, fishing, bird watching, whatever. She is where my heart beats. And that is paramount to everything.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    So beautifully written Kandi, your perspective of all of this and the things you have been through are so amazing
    You seem to have such clarity and many here can learn from you.
    I’ve never met you in person and hope I can some day but your truly special and your wisdom for us all is wondeful
    Thank you for sharing
    Hugs Rachael

"and the greatest of these is LOVE!" That is wonderful! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    You are truly blessed!

Quote Originally Posted by CarlaWestin View Post
    Being nearly completely on the other end of the acceptance scale, there's is still quite a lot to consider. Although there is no support, I do keep in check that I unwaveringly love my wife. And the responsibility to be a loving and protecting husband and life companion is truly more important than any extra activity be it crossdressing, golfing, fishing, bird watching, whatever. She is where my heart beats. And that is paramount to everything.
    Carla, it was actually your thread that moved me to post my essay. Your comments here choked me up, so beautiful!

Thank you all for your beyond kind comments.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Great story and can relate in many ways. We have many similarities and then some not as similar a to the amount of time kept hidden. Enjoyed the read.

There isn't a simple "like" button so consider this my thumbs up! love this post. So sweet!
    Carla...I am truly touched by your declaration of love for your wife

as a SO, GG, and a wife...

I feel blessed she (My Joni) shared. She did not have to.

Greeneyes

The last line says it all.

I quote Kandi,

Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Nice post Kandi,
    Some of the points you mention I can relate too.
    I am also one of the lucky ones that my wife is supportive.
    I don't know what I would do without her.
    Thank you.

Yes, if this were Facebook, I would Like it over and over again! I very much admire your situation - having recently "come out" to my wife, I'm fumbling over how to get to the next stage. The actual conversation was rough, mostly because I didn't handle it that well, but we came through it ok. For a few months, I didn't even have the urge to dress, so there didn't seem much point in talking about it. Now that I've tiptoed back into the pool, I feel like it's time to continue the conversation, but I don't know where to begin. Part of me just wants to let sleeping dosg lie. I mean, where we left it was she still loves my accepts me, but knowing that it's something she's not exactly crazy about makes it hard to know where to start.

Curious to know how you get to that "next level."

Thanks again for sharing!
    "She was everybody else's girl. Maybe someday, she'll be her own." - T. Amos

Quote Originally Posted by AlexisRaeMoon View Post
    Curious to know how you get to that "next level."
    Alexis, as you well know, every relationship is very different. Quite simply my wife trusts me and I her. Simple as that. I am sure I am in the minority here, but my dressing is such a nonissue on my home now, it is no different than my saying I am going out with friends, or going to the store. It has just become a part of our lives. While I do go out frequently, it is almost always to volunteer or go to my church, so it's not like I am out doing anything she needs to be concerned about. After almost 32 years of marriage, going through all the ups and downs, we just get each other. Yes, I am very blessed to have that.

My advice, love that woman of your much more than before. Make her feel special, always loved. Take your devotion to her up a notch, it makes a difference.

Thank you and all of the other wonderful ladies for your kind comments.

Lovely thread Kandi. Like you ,I also am blessed with a very caring, understanding, affectionate wife. She was told before marriage, after I took the chance to tell her all after I felt she absolutely loved me. Well,after 25 years its still working well. And children also as well. We are definitely blessed. Ill stop here and not bore you or others with anymore details other than, theres many GGs out there that will love you not matter what as long as your honest and have good open dialog between eachother. Least it works for US.