Thread: Laid Off, Mid-Transition.

Laid Off, Mid-Transition.

Oh my goodness,

I feel like the timing couldn't be worse. The company that I was with for the last 3 years, 10 months laid me off because of restructuring. They got rid of me and the whole Design Engineering group. So that's about 6-9 people total. So I'm in the middle of waiting for my name to be changed legally, so that'll be in about another 1.5 weeks. The only good thing is they gave us 4 weeks paid, and healthcare till the end of the month. So I'm trying to get ready to interview as my true self. I've got some great girlfriends that said they'll help me put together a interview outfit for me.

Then to throw another thing on the fire, my Ex-wife wants to file at the end of the month. But she said that if I don't have a job yet that it'll change the divorce agreement. Ugh, this isn't fun at all.

So I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row so when my name change is finalized I can have interviews lined up. Looking for job's as a new female, is going to be interesting.

Love Joan
    Joan Meredith,
    Slow to live the dream
    I'll get there when I get there

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    You had to be strong and skilled to get where you are. That strength won't fail you and your skills won't evaporate. Best of luck Joan, keep your eyes on the horizon and keep moving forward.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Aviatrix in Waiting Melanie Moxon's Avatar
    Joan, this makes my troubles seem slight.

You will get through it in the end I am sure as you have had the strength to get this far.

Best wishes
    -TB.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Oh my Joan so sorry for your difficulties I hope it will improve and wish you blessings for the job search

Sorry to read your going through the fire. Please know someday the pain will go away you will be happy again. Now you can get a better job.
    Carpe Noctem

Cheyenne Hyde

"You may never exceed, your own expectations, of yourself"

http://s46.photobucket.com/user/MsHyde2u/library/
    (the password is feminine)

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Hopefully it will be an opportunity to start anew. Good luck, you are due for some.

Silver Member
    Been there, done that. All I can say is that it does get better. ... Nowhere to go but up.
    Lea

Aspiring Member
    Sometimes I wish I was the employer and not the employee. I would then openly and actively recruit trans folks and make a comfortable work environment for them. Can you imagine the loyalty you would get from such employees?

Quote Originally Posted by Katya@ View Post
    Sometimes I wish I was the employer and not the employee. I would then openly and actively recruit trans folks and make a comfortable work environment for them. Can you imagine the loyalty you would get from such employees?
    I'm sure there are such places, somewhere. Perhaps something to look into. Trans people tend to cluster in certain regions that aren't necessarily well known outside the community, and I'm sure in those regions there are companies that really go for hiring such a workforce. That sort of thing happens with all minority groups. I knew of one apartment complex that was mostly inhabited by furries (people who see themselves as animals in some way) and a company nearby that was mostly staffed by furries.

But Joan, I am sorry you have to go through all of those things at once. It can't be easy (though maybe it's actually easier to get all the problems dealt with at the same time instead of dragging it out?), but you will come out of it more happy than in your old life.

Back to Joan's initial predicament--loss of employment. This was one facet of transition that always scared me. Despite a company's Mission Statement and other HR gobbleygook, businesses look at a couple key points: The financial bottom-line, and who they like. If you fall out of favor or become an embarrassment to them they will find a way to get rid of you. Period.

Now, I am NOT saying this was the causitive factor of Joan's termination. Her company ran into bad times. But there can be no denying that many TG's are veictimized in the workplace. Yes, things are better now than they used to be. But it has not always been that way. This is the reality that drove me to into stealth mode and to pursue an entirely new career field that I love, and it has made all the difference.
    Last edited by MarieTS; 03-10-2018 at 04:28 AM.
    Marie