Thread: My Name Debate

My Name Debate

So recently I have been debating my name. In getting started I wanted a name that was cute but different yet not too different as I am not trying to be someone else. No big leap here my male name is Andrew. Actually it’s George Andrew but I have never liked George and since before I can remember I was called Andrew. My parents put George as my first name after my Grandfather, who oddly always went by his middle name Archie, in an attempt to get him to pay for my college. Since his passing I made my signature G. Andrew ******* in his memory. But I digress. Ever since college, when we had 3 Andrew’s in the same class I took on the nickname Drew. At the time Andy was too cute and I was affraid it would out me at a time when I was really trying to just fit in. I did however like Drew because it was a bit more masculine while it made me feel like I could still hold onto a little femininity because of one of my favorite female rebels Drew Barrymore. So I allready confuse all my co-workers, friends, and extended family asking to be called Drew when my name is G. Andrew and to now throw Andy at them when I come out later this month I feel is a bit to much. Frankly I am still happy with Drew and it is who I am. Which makes me feel like I have just answered my own question. Also if I ever go this far and legally change my name I have decided to go Andrea Georgia *******. After all I don’t hate Andrew as a name but if I get that far I will change it to be more feminine as well as feminizing the George to still honor and keep that piece of grandpoppy with me.

Anyhoo I want to put this out to all you wonderfully supportive women. What do you think? Andy or Drew?
    You will find that most of the truths we cling to in life depend greatly on our own point of view.
    (Sir Alec Guinness as Obiwon Kanobi in Star Wars Return of the Jedi)

I like Drew, or Dru, or even just plain "D"...
    food for thought.

I vote for Drew

I see both names used non-gender specifically; Drew Barrymore as you mentioned, and Andie McDowell for example. You could keep both names and use them as the spirit moves you!

I actually use four fem names; my first was JoAnn, from a letter posted many years ago in Ann Landers' advice column about a crossdressing teen. Here I am MarcellaMcNul, borrowed from a High School sweetheart (still carrying a flame), Mimi, given to me by my last girlfriend who used the two M's from the previous name and Emma, also taken from the two M's. I use these on vanilla websites in one form or another, sometimes as user names and sometimes as part of passwords.
    Two Spirits

My first time original e-mail has Andy in it and so does my new e-mail I created when this all began a few months back. My work e-mail uses Drew and so does some of my gaming profiles. Uggghhhh. I am just worried I will confuse people and Andy is a very cute name but the woman in me is growing up fast and I just don’t know if cute or practical is a better way to go.
    You will find that most of the truths we cling to in life depend greatly on our own point of view.

As Marcella points out Andie is a femme derivative as is Andi. Georgie or Gorgi are other possible spellings. Andy is IMO the male spelling so I can see that could serve you best in the formal written drab word but Andie as a spoken name, and also as you see yourself in your own mind, works as well.

Hi there Andi.........:-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Quote Originally Posted by tammy1 View Post
    I like Drew, or Dru, or even just plain "D"...
    food for thought.
    Dru, for Drusilla, is a character in the web comic "Pibgorn", by Brooke McEldowney. A succubus, btw, and a very sexy character.

EDIT! Apologies as I had not seen today's episode of Pibgorn. Sometimes gets a little racy even for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen_Highwater View Post
    As Marcella points out Andie is a femme derivative as is Andi. Georgie or Gorgi are other possible spellings. Andy is IMO the male spelling so I can see that could serve you best in the formal written drab word but Andie as a spoken name, and also as you see yourself in your own mind, works as well.
    You learn something new every day. I always thought Andy was the fem version along with Andi or Andie. It does not change the fact I am still leaning heavily towards Drew or Dru although that makes me think of Gru from from Dispicable Me and even though I love the Minions Gru not so much so yeah Drew. Or Andi...

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Might I suggest just a simple Drew no fancy weird spelling tying to get all cutesy.
    Andi is a good choice and very feminine sounding.

You can’t go wrong picking Andie��. I’ve been through all the same Andrew name variations. Andy is definitely a male version. It sounds like Drew would make you the happiest.