Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To tell or not to tell

To tell or not to tell

Guilt and fear drives us to hide our female side from our SO's
    Is it better to continue to hide this as I can dress when traveling on business and she is none the wiser
    Or should I face the music and share this with the person who has shared my life for over 30 years
    I know the answer but I need to confirm my thoughts and would appreciate any advice on how to do it
    Last edited by Susan Albright; 03-08-2018 at 09:00 PM.

If your wife is your best friend and soul mate tell her, but if you haven't told her in 30 years I don't think your soul mates.

I cannot provide advice to anyone else as everyone has their own particular situation. I honestly believe there is no one right answer for everyone. I can say for my own personal situation having been through hiding, DADT and full disclosure that honest open conversation was my best decision. It was not easy, it was uncomfortable, it was awkward, but in the end it was the best decision I ever made with respect to my dressing desire. The big talk occurred after 40 years of marriage. I can say with positive truth that my wife and I are very much closer and happier now than ever. For my wife, the fact that I did not fully share my desire to crossdress with her was something that left her to wonder about and she felt that not knowing and not understanding was not good. She loved me before she knew I was a crossdresser and she came to understand that I remained the same person before and after we had the talk. So I figure that if you are a good person with a secret you likely remain a good person with your wife knowing you are a crossdresser. Our desire to crossdress does not change our character.

My comment is not advice its just my thoughts and experience. Best wishes to you and your decision.
    Teri Ray Rural Idaho Girl.

The avvy pic isn't me
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan Albright View Post
    I know the answer but I need to confirm my thoughts and would appreciate any advice on how to do it
    Unfortunately this is one of those things that is very hard for people to advise on; it's just such a personal decision to make.
    This is by no means meant to be advice, but I've been around here and other places long enough to have seen it happen; it goes like this:.........

Good intentions by well meaning folks, who also happen to be the types that think everyone of us HAS to come out, will tell some person who has asked the same thing you have--Yes you must tell her.

A week later that person comes back and posts that he's been told to pack up and leave.

If you do decide to, read the sticky at the forum heading for tips. Be well prepared and don't let the situation escalates which it usually does; be honest!

I'm single and I do know one thing for sure, I've promised myself that I will never go into any possible relationship in the future hiding who and what I am.
    And I have done so.

Best wishes,
    Cass

It never hurts to drop little hints or steer conversations in the direction of discovering her tolerance for crossdressing.

You know your wife. You know her politics and her social mores. You know her values. If she cares more about her reputation than she does about you, or if she is on the evangelical side of religious, then you may be headed for trouble. If she has a lot invested in you being a manly man, then there may be trouble.

OTOH, if she is kind, considerate, secure in herself, and not afraid to stand up for the less fortunate then you will most likely be okay.

Use your best judgment.

Hugs, Carly.
    Carries a spray bottle of "pink fog" around with her in her purse at all times.

For myself - telling her was the right thing to do (no more lying needed for me)

Al I can say is that if you have been married for 30 years- she knows

Another one here that's gonna duck giving you direct advice, mainly because I'm not married, but also because everyone's SO is different. Therefore, without knowing her, it's difficult to give advice.

What Cassandra Lynn said about not getting into a marriage as anything other than true self applies to me as well. I decided this at the age of 16. I had light relationships in my youth, but I made no attempt at family life.

Sometimes, whether during times of enlightenment or clouded judgement, I wonder how putting on the 'wrong' clothes can terminate a marriage . Seems a bit disproportionate . A splinter also shouldn't hurt as much as it does, but it is what it is .

What I will say, though, is that if you decide not to tell, then do not get caught. At the moment, you have full control. Getting caught surrenders all of it and more.

- Lydianne.

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dana 1 View Post
    If your wife is your best friend and soul mate tell her, but if you haven't told her in 30 years I don't think your soul mates.
    a good point!

Hell-o Susan,
    I can totally relate to you’re situation �� ,
    or at least your line of questioning, and I won’t
    bore you with my memoirs.

But what I will do...

Is ask you if you’ve considered how often you
    find “the need” to dress, and how, and or when,
    you think you’ll be able to dress when you’re
    no longer going on those “business” trips?

I can say...being open about this part of YOU
    with your SO may become something as simple
    to you as not having to explain that random
    bright red false nail that she happens to find
    under the bed, as well as many of the other
    stresses that come along with the fear of
    “being caught”.
    (BTW, They’re completely gone afterwards!)
    Orrrrr???
    It could turn into something VERY special!

You say you already know your answer.
    After 30 some years, are ya sure? ?? Ha ha !

Soooo...your question then is, or should be.....
    How do I tell? How to tell?

Simple, right? Just follow the directions, step by step,
    as laid out in the “stickies” Piece of cake!
    Honestly, in hindsight, there’s very good advice posted
    there. You just need to have the right mindset to accept
    what you’re reading, AND THEN, figure out how it might
    apply to YOUR situation.

Any further questions? Please direct them to my PM box.
    Always here to....help?
    Much Love,
    Kristyn
    Last edited by Hell on Heels; 03-09-2018 at 04:25 AM. Reason: Post wasn’t dramatic enough!
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

If you think there is some positive response tell your wife, but after thirty years of deceit you will just have to work out the worth of telling.

Do you want to continue in a happy marriage?

I would work on it if I were you, deceit after thirty years 'aint much fun.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    Only you can have an idea of how your wife will react. After 30 years and a solid marriage the worst that can happen is DADT. unless she is a crazy. The hardest part for my wife is she felt like she would lose the mane she married. When I explained I started dressing when I was 4 or 5 she started to understand ( a little). My wife was stunned and shock, but we talked for several hour. She s ok with me dressing as long as she doesn't have to see me.
    To sum up unless you wife is crazy, I would pull off the band aid
    Good luck,
    Sara.

I've been married for 37 years and when I joined this site I started to feel better about myself so I told my wife about my cross-dressing!
    It didn't go well for me/us!

She took the news pretty bad and said she expects me to stop.
    I stopped for two years and now the Pink Fog is coming back and I constantly think about dressing.

I was just thinking yesterday about how my relationship with my wife is somewhat back to normal as long as there's no CDing!

For me it's back in the closet.

Good luck with your decision.
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

just some reading, it will always be a gamble

if you tell:
    https://www.crossdressers.com/forums...l-your-partner

if you keep it private:
    https://www.crossdressers.com/forums...h**&highlight=
    Last edited by mykell; 03-09-2018 at 10:52 AM.
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Aspiring Member
    coming out to one's wife (i waited 27 years) is a huge gamble and all can say is good luck.
    my wife had absolutely no clue that i was a crossdresser and had a nervous breakdown over it.
    she has become somewhat tolerant(7 years on) and even comes to support group events
    with me.
    however i have lost her complete trust and our physical life no longer exists, as i said before
    good luck sis.

You know what you need to do. There’s been a million threads here on this. There’s an entire sticky. Are you sure you’re not just stalling here?

As the wife of a cd-er.... I know personally I felt much better after my husband told me he cd-ed..... There was always a nagging feeling that he was keeping something from me.... and as the others said... you know your wife best... if she isnt dramatic.... or crazy ( which i assume she is not...) I say.. tell her...

As always, stop and consider the worst possible consequences that can happen if you decide to come out. If you can accept the worst, then proceed. But don't under any circumstances let the pink cloud make you think your chances are good. Most women do not want anything to do with a crossdresser. The likelyhood of her smiling and joyfully agreeing to help dress you up, and take you out all dressed pretty, are virtually nil. I know, I know, you read the success stories here by happy crossdressers who've lucked out and lived the joy of finding that one in a million woman who actually enjoys dressing her man up as a pretty girl. But the chances of that are very, very slim, literally you are more likely to win the lottery than get a response like that. Much more likely, you will destroy who she believed you are, for all these years, and wind up in a don't ask, don't tell situation, where neither you nor her are happy with the situation.

Of course, the worst is also possible, divorce, being outed to all the world as most will consider a sexual deviant, a pervert, etc..

I can't provide accurate odds of what the chances are of each possible outcome. But I assure you, What you dream of happening, most likely will not.

That said, the question also remains, what do you wish to achieve by coming out at this point in your lives? Are you doing this to make her life better, of just to unburden yourself? What does she have to gain from all this? Is there some magic that will make her life better by this? Or will she be more likely stuck wondering about about her life being not what she thought it was all these years? Will she be concerned that others' might have known, and were silently thinking of what a fool she was to marry such a man?

Consider what this will do to everyone else, not just yourself.

Good luck whichever way you go with this.

And plan for the worst, because that's the more likely end scenario. Wishful thinking will not change that.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Thanks to all of you that provided your insights.
    I am preparing to have the"talk" with my wife
    I will let you all know how it went.

Susan,

I know your dilemma well.
    I have a marriage of over 40 yrs and hid my femme side for most of the time quite well. In retirement a couple years ago the time didn't go so well and I was "caught" wearing a pair of outstanding pink & black lacy panties by the Wife. It led to The Talk.
    I wish I would have had the initiative to "come out" to her on my own terms. The way things evolved were not healthy for our loving relationship. The TRUST issue was central; how could I have kept such a secret; and she felt like she no longer knew me in many ways.
    The last couple years since have been a period of growth and communication. It hasn't been easy. Love prevails.

I recommend you find a way to tell your spouse on your own terms. There are plenty of account of forum members, and their collective wisdom has alway proven valuable to me. I think you can find a way to do it gently. (Go to the GG or SO threads). Besides, the part of my Femme Life I hated was the "need for secrecy and hiding myself. In time it will happen. You will tell on yourself or make a mistake in covering your tracks. Those are the worst circumstances to overcome when suddenly announcing this to your long term relationship.

Think it through. Select the words and methods carefully. Listen to the wisdom of your forum sisters.
    My heart goes with you. Yours' is a familiar refrain.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Its nice to believe that honesty is the best policy etc but life is not that simple. You’re likely the person in the best position to decide if telling your secret will irreparably damage your marriage. Not all coming out stories are happy endings. Are you willing to risk that price for whatever freedom you think honesty will provide? I talked to my wife once before we got married. We are so deep into DADT that it might as well be a secret and I’ve decided that bringing it up ever again wouldn’t be worth the damage.
    I'm content being a once in a while girl.

Susan,

I can relate to many of the comments here. I had "successfully " kept my dressing a secret from my wife over 25 years. I had a sizable collection of clothes, wigs, heels, and makeup. If she would head out of town I would dress and certainly when I traveled for business Tiffanys items were a big part of my packing. I was in counseling wondering how far I would go along the journey. My counselor was encouraging me to tell my wife. I kept my secret until my one slip up. I didn't put a makeup brush away. Everything came spilling out. I thought oh good at least I am unburdened. We jointly met with my therapist where I shared I would like to go out more, not at all what my wife wanted to hear.

I decided my marriage was (is) very important to me and so we have a bit of a DADT but candidly her desire is DON'T. Some days are easier than others. Ten years later we are still together however there are times on the edge as she lost trust in my word and she hates that she feels trapped in staying married to me for the sake of our kids.

Not sure what I am recommending however Lydianne said it so well at this moment you have control.

Good luck from one Georgia girl to another. I wish you a happy outcome.

Tiffany

I agree completely with sometimes_miss.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    If she is the mean,hateful, bitchy, tries to run your life type don't tell her.
    If she is the its all about her in the marriage and you don't matter deff don't tell her.
    If she is kind and caring or always thinking of others maybe but you know her better than we do.
    I feel bad for you married people and I am so glad to be single.