Thread: Trying Pole Dancing Next Week/Very Welcoming

Silver Member

Trying Pole Dancing Next Week/Very Welcoming

As many knoww I have been taking barre classes as a male but with all women's attire at several different studios over the last few months. Near one of them was a pole dance studio which intigued me, I contacted them and they only allowed female to participate but they suggested other studios do have coed classes. I found several on the net and one had a groupon so I emailed them.
    I explained that I'm old and male and she said neither mattered. The owner went on to add that her studio welcomes all ages, genders, shape and sizes and not to worry. To the uninitiated, pole dance classes stress less is best when talking clothing. The studio I'm going to try has a "requirement" that all students wear short-shorts. For the top they say only tanks, camis and/or sports bras. The reason for this is that when you do moves on the pole, skin to pole contact gives you grip so as not to slide. In my last email when I redeemed my groupon I was reminded of the dress code and cancellation policy. In an earlier email I asked for guidance about what top she suggests and I mentioned all three options. She said for my first few classes tanks or camis would be fine and even a fitted tee would be ok but for me to wear the least and still be comfortable. She added that sports bras become more imortant as the tricks get more dificult.
    I hope to go to my first class on Monday if all falls into place and of course I will report back. I have a few things to choose from, a pair of black Reebok short shorts, Old Navy short-shorts, I think I will wear one of these and VS very short booty shorts (probably not in my plan for day one). My top will be either a fitted tank/cami.
    If I stay with this and can do the routines, Pleaser platform heels could be in my future???
    Last edited by Sarasometimes; 03-09-2018 at 09:24 AM.

Wow I would think ( not that I've ever been in strip club with a pole) that one would get very fit pole dancing. I might try that instead the jazzersize class my wife thinks we should be taking... Really pole dancing would probably give you lots of strength, agility, and balance especially in ones elderly age as myself. Please keep us informed as to the activities and what you think of the exercises.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I got into pole dancing for awhile, Sara. After taking a class at a T event in Vegas. I was the only one able to climb and hold myself up on the pole that 1st time! Even at my advanced age.
    Others in that class have gone on to become remarkable pole dancers. While my hand strength is sadly ebbing.

My suggestion would be to wear flats or regular heels to class. Platforms and poles don't mix well!
    Have fun and report back on your pole adventures!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Very cool! I saw a segment about pole dancing on the YouTube channel "Ladylike" (https://youtu.be/uYsMgeUOjeg ) and it seemed as if it would be a lot of fun and a good acceptance environment for trans folks. I'll be interested to read your experiences.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

That sounds like fun. I wonder if body hair also effects grip.
    I'm content being a once in a while girl.

Silver Member

Smile Took My First Class Today!!

Well I went to my first class and wow was I nervous walking in since the class was not just for beginners but also experinced dancers. I was greeted first by another student with a smile and a hello followed by the teacher Rachel with a welcome and a nice to see you. There were 7 total in the class and we started out in sweatpants and tanks/tees for the warm-up and stretching. After that we were in our "booty" shorts, mine had 2.5" inseam and a Women's pastel blue Reebok tank.
    We first were shown and tried some moves around the pole then some easy spins with names like; chair, the mermaid, the secretary, the pole sit...We moved on to climbing which hurt a bit (your skin rest on the pole as you climb). Pole will definitely improve ones upper body strength and flexibility.
    Rachel spoke to one woman who had a tank on that a sports bra may help with one hanging move because more skin near your underarm can grip the pole so I may try a sprots bra at one of my future classes.
    The highlight was when I climbed to the ceiling an got a round of applause because most newbies don't go that high. We finished up doing some spins on the spinning pole which is really fun. I will keep you posted.
    Three students were very good and were doing some tricks I could not even follow.

Sounds like fun. And a step forward for trans-kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarasometimes View Post
    We finished up doing some spins on the spinning pole which is really fun.
    Is that a pole that physically spins, or a pole optimized in some way for spin moves?
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    If climbing a pole is like a rope coun't me out I never could do that as a kid.

Silver Member
    Pat the poles can be either stationary where in order to spin your grip on the pole is loose enough for your hand to move on it, or if you remove a pin in the bottom, the pole can rotate with you. I will share some more details as I learn them.
    Tracii, I think climbing the pole is easier since. I too could not climb that rope in gym either. She taught us to squeeze the pole between your knees and stand up so you actually only use your arm to hold yourself not to move up the pole.
    Last edited by Sarasometimes; 03-13-2018 at 08:19 AM.

The only time I have tried that was at a dance with a Polish gentleman. :-)

We gave him heaps everybody wanted to do the Pole dance.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Silver Member
    Well I went to my second Pole class and I was once again treated very warmly. I actually was able to do a more difficult trick better than the easier ones from the first day. I think it was due to my feeling less nervous and everyone is so supportive of each other. I wore my same black Reebok compression short shorts, but with a light green (link is below $5). I also was told that I could take the Pole 1 classes already but since weekdays are best I can stay in the current class and learn tricks up to pole 3. The young lady next to me is in pole 3 and she was doing some really beautiful tricky moves. I don't think I will be able to do those that she was doing much less anything more difficult.
    I'll keep you posted, as I progress, unles there isn't an interest.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ifCGIQwEAIKCgG

I looked into taking a class a few years ago, might try it out!

I took a couple of classes a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the classes. I did get the Stripper 6” heels and actually made it easier to do some of the moves. I went completely enfemme. It was definitely a good workout.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    I can only take so much accordion music

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    Does your wife know about this class?

If so, what's been her reaction?

I took some classes in Austin years ago. I went to a couple of pole and some exotic dance classes. They told me that I would have to bring stripper heels to make sure that I was serious about taking the classes and the ladies would not feel uncomfortable.

Silver Member
    Caren G, Are you passable and do you wear wigs? Just wondering because if I went enfeme I would need to do that and I'm not passable, maybe blendable at a distance. Any chance you are in the NJ/Pa. area? Did you just register and show up or did you ask about coming enfemme? Did you start out in platforms and if not how long, till you gave them a try? Any insight would be appreciated.

ellbee, No and thanks for the buzz kill.
    She does know about my love for barre classes but I think she would think I'm in a class with hot strippers with pole. Truth is there are some very fit students and some who are there to just get a bit more in shape and a variety of ages too. Only saw one stripper so far, all the other skilled students are into pole for competition and fitness reasons.

Amanda, I hope to get good enough to try some tricks in heels but that is a bit into the future. How hard was it to do in heels (also are you normally good in platforms) How many pole classes did you take and do you remember any of the tricks?
    I'm going again tomorrow, let me know if you wish for a report.
    Thanks All

Sara

If you need something with less leg than compression pants, you can get a bathing suit bikini bottom (even in a high-cut style) if you dare or men's speedos (if you don't dare.

Steffi
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Silver Member
    Steffi, That is what I have been wearing to my last several classes. The boyshort style seems best. They are described as having an inseam butthey really don't have more than an 1". The high cut styles don't offer enough coverage when doing a split type move unless, believe it or not unless I wear them backwards. They tend to have better rear coverage so when reversed, I get that "sexy" high cut back but enough coverage in the front. Haven't decided if I want to keep them and wear them that way. I'm still looking for others.
    The classes are going great, I feel so welcomed and accepted by all. The last class had another guy in it, a boyfriend of a regular. He was in socks, a tee and basketball shorts and still managed to do a few tricks. I, having more experience and the right attire, did a lot more.
    It was sort of funny when I did a pose with the bar very high in my crotch with my back arched, toes pointed. He inquired how i did it without injury and I said the shorts keep things in a safe place. His reply was I'll skip that one. The other students/instructor gave a chuckle, saying to him you could do it, come on.