Thread: Out and marching on

Out and marching on

Wow, the last few months have been incredible. I finally started hormones last November and started working on a plan to transition over Christmas. I made the decision I would wait until July 1 before my public reveal, for lack of a better word.

Well that didn't work! One of my New Year resolutions was to be honest when asked about transitioning and within hours of posting my resolutions I was asked what I meant when I said "Make the change on July 1". I answered honestly and there were no issues.

In February I talked to my board of directors and told them my plan and then I talked to my priest. Again no major negativity, though it caught people by surprise. I Was also appointed to my city's Human Rights Commission (though only one of the members of the city council new my truth).

End of February, in a moment of weakness (or strength) I went completely public with my transition on Facebook. Feedback was overwhelming positive and filled with love. It was incredible. My work wasn't happy about it (not becuase of my transition or coming out but becuase they had not had time to process everything) but after their concerns were eased that went smoothly. Being a small town, it was a mini big deal. I did a television interview which was huge for me. There were significant negative comments online about the interview but I decided I wouldn't read it and I still haven't.

Now I am just waiting on my name change and for enough time to pass for surgeries.

Where I live, I truly expected to be run out of town with pitch forks and torches. Instead I have been met with love and acceptance and it is an incredible feeling.
    I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!

Great to hear of your positive experience.
    Good luck with the rest of your journey.

great to hear all went and is going well.

Good news on West Virginia raises teachers’ pay to end statewide strike, now your great news of acceptance. Things seem to be looking up in West Virginia!!
    With Luv...
    Lori

We seem to have much in common, as I too am transitioning in a small town in Galilee, Israel; where we have lived for the past 35 years. I would explain to visiting Americans that where I live is is more like Appalachia, where Tel Aviv is like San Francisco!

I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the acceptance, love, and support I have received from my town, not expecting it. On the other hand, a nearby conservative religious community that we had been close to completely rejected me. It seems like there is a world wide paradigm shift taking place in open, progressive societies. For myself, I had to wait 50 years for the world to catch up with people like ourselves and let us be. I am happy that I am able to see this day and be a part of it!

I just learned a new compound word that is a synonym for brave. It is spelled Danni Renee.
    Congratulations, Danni. May the remainder of your journey be as supportive. Good on you!
    Marie

Hi Danni
    That is all wonderful news. So now that everyone knows of Danni will you start presenting as her right away or will you wait into July before that happens? Whichever you choose, congratulations and all the best on your transition.

Sara, I started presenting almost immediately. I just decided to go all in. I had been wearing only feminine clothing (though very conservative/androgynous) since I started hormones so it wasn't a huge leap for me or the commnity when I started wearing makeup and started wearing more obvious feminine attire. The biggest adjustment was people using my name versus my male name but most people correct themselves and I don't make a big deal of it. We are working together at this. I still have fears of issues arising but for the most part I have not witnessed the negativity I was expecting.
    I'M FREE, I'M FREE! I GET TO BE ME!

Silver Member
    Danni, good on you! I'll bet you will present fully feminine at the next ramp festival .. grin