I have lately been posting about all the good and wonderful things that have been happening. I have to be honest and share something awful that just happened.

My near by daughter, her husband, and three children have been what seemed to me totally accepting of Dorit (My real female name) over the last two years or more. Way before I decided to transition and live full time as a transgender woman, they accepted me at family times, and with their friends, granted me the freedom to present female.

Last night my son-in-law calls. They are planning their oldest child's (my grandson of course) Bar Mitzvah, a major event in Jewish life. He very firmly tells me that this event is about his son, and to prevent any attention drawn away from him or to subject him to any bullying from his class mates, and also to make it easier on his parents, Dorit will not be allowed to attend!! If I want to come, I have to dress as a man! Needless to say, my wife and I are devastated and did not expect this at all. We believe we know how to respond, but in the meantime we are processing the pain.