Thread: Dress Extravaganza!

Dress Extravaganza!

It's not what you think. This post is excerpted from my blog because I believe it is important to demonstrate to all what is possible out there, how you can indeed get out, be treated as a woman without fear or hesitation.

In my ongoing quest to get involved with events and become "just one of the ladies" I volunteered for A Prom to Remember (http://www.apromtoremember.org/), an organization that brings a unique Prom experience to teens battling cancer. Our event is being held this year at The Ritz Carlton. In offering to help, I was drafted as the volunteer coordinator for the pre-event, Dress Extravaganza.

All the attendees get everything free. The boys get free tuxedos and the girls come to our Dress Extravaganza! Free dress (or dresses as they may lose weight due to treatments by the time of the prom), shoes, purse and jewelry. Friday we set everything up.

We had two shifts of volunteers for the set up. In the morning, we set up the tables and unloaded the truck of everything from the warehouse. In the afternoon, we set up the room for the weekend. Dresses were racked by size. Shoes were sorted by sizes as well and displayed on tables. Jewelry was all sorted and laid out. Purses displayed on a table as well. Having two shifts allowed me to meet so many different ladies. One lady and I were arranging dresses and we had a nice talk. She (as often happens to me) was curious about me so I told her what I tell everyone, ASK, ask anything, you cannot offend me. I want people to learn, to feel more comfortable. I spent the entire day helping where I could, thanking each volunteer individually, asking them back Saturday and/or Sunday or making sure we'd see them again next year.

Near the end of the day, I engaged this wonderful, delightful, introspective woman in a very long conversation. We talked about our kids, getting them off to college, raising them, conversations women have all the time. I have to say, she brought me to tears because I was a woman to her, a new friend, a confidant. We hugged a few times and we just kept talking and talking, walking to our cars, talking... I was really touched to make such a wonderful friend in such a short time. We agreed to share a glass of wine in the near future and talk some more. THIS is what I cherish. THIS is why Kandi exists. Touching people, showing people that I am no different than anyone else and in many ways, maybe I offer a richer look at life.

So now it's Saturday and it's show time! I got a late start (what gal doesn't?) due to a nail malfunction among other small time setbacks. When I got there my volunteers for the AM shift were all there. I walked around thanking them all, getting them set up and then took my position as the greeter, greeting the young ladies and their families as they came to shop for their dresses. WHAT AN EXPERIENCE!!

First off, my volunteers were all special, each and every one of them. We probably had in excess of a hundred volunteers. They spanned the gamut with regard to age, teens to those slightly older than I am. All got a "look in the eyes" thank you from me, along with my sales pitch to come back next year. Most gave and received hugs (you know me.....).

I had many experiences, too numerous to detail here. A local cosmetology school was there to do nails, give back as well as arm and hand massages, etc. I got to know most of them and could not have felt more like one of the girls. Truly special, especially the hand and arm massage I got. Honestly, I don't understand it and I am not saying this to brag, it's just a fact, people, particularly women, warm to me in a millisecond. Lady and after lady, really meaningful talk after meaningful talk, hug after hug, I made so many friends.

Finally, and this is where the tears flowed. I was getting ready to leave and thankfully had already put on my sunglasses (an extremely sunny day, made even brighter by the snow that fell the day before). Two aunts and a boyfriend were waiting for one of the girls to come out of the dressing room. I struck up a good 25 minute conversation with the aunts, open and honest about what this beautiful young woman went through and me (gee, that always seems to come up?). Long story short, two bear hugs before I left in tears, thankful for those sunglasses.

April 7, the prom! [Skip through this if you are not religious] Thank God I am who I am! This crossdresser, accepted without hesitation by literally hundreds of women, all rallying to provide love to these young women, who know what struggle really means. You can believe all the media BS you want, you can complain about what we cannot do all you want, I choose to live in the moment, know THIS is the real world. People are not only good, they are loving and great!

You can see pictures of the event, me with many of the volunteers at: https://kandis328772669.wordpress.co...-extravaganza/.

If you think I fooled anyone, I didn't. If you think anyone cared, they didn't.
    Last edited by Kandi Robbins; 03-12-2018 at 10:30 AM.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Positive, uplifting, and inspirational. Thank you Kandi.
    Like a lady

Kandi,
    Great story, as usual.
    Helping others, being happy and breaking down stereotypes of crossdressers.
    Thank you.
    Last edited by GracieRose; 03-12-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Great report, Kandi!

All the acceptance you get is a testament to your kind heartedness, and you have unlimited generosity in helping others and giving back to the community. I credit that to you more than the crossdressing because I ask myself how much of that is due to crossdressing and how much is due to you being the transcendent person that you are.

The dressing probably provides a starting point to get complete strangers interested - that's the dress. Your approachability, willingness to field all questions and your friendliness ( plus smile ) adds momentum - that's you! ( OK, maybe the dress adds a few more millimetres to the breadth of your smile ). But from that point onwards, I think it's all you as a person because you don't only talk about dressing-related topics, and your responses in those conversations are not influenced being in a dress - you're just responding based on what you feel, think or believe i.e. the kind of person you are. That's how I interpret it.

May your far-reaching acceptance continue! You have risked a lot and have worked very hard to get where you are. You deserve all the success.

- Lydianne.

I think you took a wonderful step into the unknown there.

It shows what caring people will do for others.

Why aren't there more caring people.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    What a wonderful story!

Kandi, I am very proud of you for the great work you did for these deserving girls. You are the best!

(((((hugs))))), Olivia

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    What another wondeful story Kandi my friend you truly are an inspiration to me and I hope others as well.
    I just finished reading Sarah McBrides book, if you don’t know her she’s the trans women who spoke at the DNC convention
    and is now part of HRC. Anyway she speaks of being our authentic self, my friend you are a prime example of that and it
    matters not if you are in full transition or not just be real live your life to love and fulfill others as well
    Kandi that is you my friend
    Love you Rachael

I liked this story enough that I wandered over to your blog so that I can follow it. Great story!

Sami
    My new blog: The Crossdresser Report
    https://crossdresserreport.com/

Hi Kandi, that's really wonderful experience. I had some experience volunteering as well, and the people who are volunteering are usually the most caring people you will meet around. It looks like you had a wonderful time. Liked your pictures too. You looked great.

Leslie
    Leslie's Advanture into the Unknown - http://lesliesd.weebly.com/

Thanks for sharing yourself with this wonderful event and your post

Kandi: I looked at your post and pictures. I am amazed at the outing you had and may I compliment you on your lipstick selections. I loved each and every color.

I have a mission to make change. While I can't do it on a large scale, I can pick my spots and use this forum as a platform to show what we can do. So for those wonderful ladies that left me a kind comment, I thank you very much. For those of you that checked out my blog, please come back again!

Frankly, it's the feedback I received both here and privately that make me feel like I make a very small difference. We all go though stages on our respective journeys here. I have moved well beyond simply being happy to be dressed and have created a real life for Kandi. I never thought I could look half decent in a dress and am now an accepted part, accepted as a woman (sort of), in many different groups and organizations. Go figure!

Get out there ladies! You are, as always, the best!!
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Beautiful...beautiful writing, beautiful effort, beautiful spirit. Thank you!

It's posts like this that keep me here. I've said it before, and will say it again, you truly are inspirational Kandi.

Karen

Silver Member
    Kandi, there's a wonderful place in heaven for you. Just take your time in going there.

Silver Member
    "If you think I fooled anyone, I didn't. If you think anyone cared, they didn't."

Magnifique! That shows me that CDing is becoming, more and more, Not A Big Deal. You didn't dress or act in a way that screamed, "Look at me! I need attention!". Whether or not others read you as a woman, your outfit was true to you and not dissimilar from how other women were dressed. And your demeanor was just you being yourself. That made it easy for the others to accept you as nothing out of the ordinary. I like to think that's how I present when I put on a skirt and go out. I'm not fooling anyone because I'm not trying to. I'm just owning my truth without making a big fuss.

I'm very happy that went so well for you.

Kandi you are superb! You are such an inspiration to all of us!!! Hugs Lana Mae (tears just thinking about your experience!)
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

It's not that you fooled them or whether you pass or not. I firmly believe it's about your energy. You put out your energy out to the world (we all do) and those open minded people were willing to receive it. Bravo to you.
    They/Them
    I love dressing as a woman.

April 7 is the Prom! I will most certainly report on that and I am sure my eyes will not be dry.

Each and every one of you wonderful ladies who have left such undeserved kind comments make me feel that maybe, just maybe, I make a little difference.

My undying appreciation!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    What a great thing to be a part of.

Kandi what a heart warming story, and sounds like you have really made a big difference in many lives. Love your last sentence also, it is a very cool statement.