Thread: The Mammogram

The Mammogram

There are a lot of changes we go through during our transitions and every journey is unique.

We deal with HRT, whatever surgeries we each decide to go through with, Doctor after Doctor, the Legal system for our names, etc., etc. The list goes on and on.

However, there's one thing that all of us should be aware of and not dismiss at all, no matter what our age is.

I don't recall this subject being discussed on the forum in much detail.

I know, it's not a very fun part of being a Woman. But, it IS a recomended part for our continued good health.

I had my very first Mammogram yesterday and it was an interesting new experience. Don't misread my last statement, I didn't say it was pleasant. I just said, "...it was an interesting new experience."

The place I went, the staff was the best I've had the pleasure to deal with so far. They used my fem name, even though it's not my legal name yet. They were very professional, kind, sweet, and warm. That part of the experience was great. Yes, even the dreaded Technician (The person that operates that most feared machine that SMOOSHES da boobies!)

Now, I'm not going to lie here. While most, if not all, of us love to have our boobies played with, squeezed, and fondled. The squeeze of that machine is not one I would add to my list of things I really want done with the Girls. However, it's nice to know that they are healthy and normal inside.

This is but one of three parts to keeping our Breasts healthy and in the know about our own bodies. We cant neglect our weekly self exams of the Ladies, as well as having our Doctors check them out occasionally.

Now, after I woke up this morning, I had an email from the company that performed my Mammogram telling me that my results were in and I could look them up through the portal they have for their patients.

I read the report and I'm happy to announce that the Girls are Normal.

As I read the report, I noticed something very interesting. The list of risk factors.

Of course I saw the usual list of risk factors I expected to see about me. However, I noticed one thing I didn't expect to see and that is the number one reason I'm sharing this here. The simple fact that I AM trans is listed as a risk factor.

I don't see it stated enough when it comes to Breast Cancer Awareness. Transition IS a risk factor.

As such, I personally would recommend that my Sisters make this a part of their annual routine as soon as they can. For that matter, I would recommend everyone do it, Male or Female. Because, YES, Men can get Breast Cancer too.

This journey I'm on has been a lot of fun, hard, and enlightening. It's not something I regret, nor would I change if I could. I have a very long way to go and I look forward to each new experience, good or bad, with wonder and excitement.

Emma
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    I agree with you 100%. I've recently had a mammogram to investigate some uncomfortable swelling in my left nipple.
    And that wasn't the first time I've had the procedure. The technician was friendly and considerate and the ensuing examination by
    the oncologist determined that it was just a physical injury.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Reality Check
    I had a mammogram once because of an enlarged left breast. My doctor at the time also performed a typical women's breast exam. At least she was female.

The results were negative and eventually the breast returned to normal size.

While not common, males can get breast cancer. It's not just a woman's disease.
    Krisi

Very informative thread Emma,
    Thanks for post it.
    I'm in transition too and my primary doctor, my therapist told me about one of the risk of transition and be under hormones is them promote the growing of tissue and it's possible bad tissue a cancer or even being tumors.
    It's a very known fact that today many women are not going under hormones therapy when in menopause for the incidence on cancer.
    But as you right said, the pre entioonis the right path.
    Thanks again.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

It's been a concern in the back of my mind, I think it just moved up in the line

I had my last mammogram about a month ago. My doctor schedules them every two years since I am over 40 (ugh). As usual, it was uncomfortable, but not painful. The mammogram techs have always been super nice and delightful.

I go to an imaging center for my mammograms. While sitting in the patient waiting area, a woman sat next to me and I detected a look of slight fear or sadness in her eyes and felt the same energy. I just wanted to hug her and say some comforting words. I then clearly realized that some of the women may have been dealing with a scary health situation or maybe a followup exam following treatment. It really hit me hard about how serious this can be which did not register strongly with me before since I have always gone in only for a routine checkup. I felt very grateful for my health and any discomfort was very minor compared to what some of these women may have been or going though. This is serious business so take care of yourself now instead of dealing with it later because you are afraid or embarrassed. Now.

Even though my life hasn't been touched by Breast Cancer, it has been touched by cancer in general.

I lost my Dad to his Lung Cancer migrating to his Liver.

It wasn't the disease that he lost his battle with. It was the treatments.

What I saw him going through was a BIG wake up call.

Besides, Breast Cancer awareness should be year round and not for just one Month out of the year.

Emma, I completely agree with you about cancer.
    I remember in the beginning of the 80's when Aids was an alarm for everybody. My wife had a blood transfusion and we were really worried about a posible contagious, then I realized that depict that was very easy to protect yourself from it with precautions or even with total abstinence of sex.
    Today AIDS is not mortal and theres treatment but about cancer there's no 100% assurance we won't get it.
    More than, as an example, I just learned about HPV, human papillomavirus. It can cause in women cervix cancer as well troath cancer in men and women just for oral sex and annal cancer for both too.
    This is something that not many people know and for health workers is a fact.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Males should get mammograms too? Wouldn't most boys not have enough to squish unless they were overweight? I suspect insurance wouldn't even authorize a mammogram on a male that wasn't overweight... It certainly was not suggested by my PCP at age 40 even though I have a fair amount of breast tissue. It just doesn't seem to be part of standard medical procedures for males even if the risk may be there.

Feeling for changes at home is definitely a good idea.

I'm probably weird but I'm looking forward to my first mammogram once I get some development. I realize it will hurt a little and probably be entirely embarrassing but I find anything to do with being female makes me happy for whatever reason, even if it's not really a pleasant thing.

Silver Member
    Several years ago, due to a soreness and swelling under my left nipple, I went to my friend, a GP. Both breasts had slightly enlarged do to prostate meds. I explained my soreness, took off my shirt, and he (NOT knowing of Jenny) said, "You're going to need a bigger bra!" We laughed (if he only knew). After examining the sore nipple's swelling, and saying it was really necessary, he ordered a mammogram.
    The day I went for it I was the only guy in the waiting room, and I was a bit embarrassed by some ladies glancing at me. My name was called. I went in, took off my shirt, and the procedure began. It was not painful to me. The tech did both breasts, for contrast purposes. She told me that they have several men a week for the procedure and occasionally DO find cancer.. I was lucky.. no cancer, just a swollen cyst which soon was gone.
    Several weeks later I did buy a bigger bra. I'm TG, not TS. So, you girls who are not on HRT but do develop any kind of soreness in a boob area, see your Doctor!

Hmmmm, This thread has me thinking. I've been using a not allowed to talk about system on my breasts for a year and a half. Maybe I should think about this! Lill
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 03-30-2018 at 05:20 AM. Reason: as you said, we don't talk about it