Thread: All of a sudden there is interest

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar

All of a sudden there is interest

A transsexual friend of mine recently had a very successful book launch of her biography, mainly due to her widespread friendships with the Lgbt* community and her media presence (one of the main transgender advocates, seems like they have her on speed dial!). Encompassed in the book has a few references to me. One of the references states my view of my crossdressing as strictly practiced as a hobby.
    Due to this reference, I had been contacted by a few folks (male and female) who apparently had not done any crossdressing in their lives interested in taking up crossdressing as a hobby. Most of the folks mentioned that they thought crossdressing was either for sexual purposes (attract and/or fetish), expression of gender (trans), and drag performing. They were not aware that it could be done for leisure and social purposes.
    All of these folks I have socialized with one way or other, however they assumed that I was in the want or process of transitioning. Kind of opened their eyes to taking in crossdressing for leisure pleasure. I have set up coffee meet as a chit chat session for today in which all of them plan on attending!
    I find it quite awesome to see that people have an interest in crossdressing after finding out that it isn’t just a sexual thing, performing thing or gender related. After seeing the Masquerade website www.masquerade.ca I had somewhat came up with the same interest.
    Anyone else find it awesome for people to dip their feet into crossdressing waters for the purpose of it being leisure fun?

*please refrain from posting the “crossdressing is not a hobby” and “crossdressing is more than just a hobby” type of statements... we all know it isn’t for you as you probably already mentioned it several times, respect that some of us do treat it as a hobby/a leisure interest

Btw if interested the book is called “Growing a Pair” by Shandi Strong and could be found on McNally Robinson’s website

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    It can be whatever you want it to be. Don't let anyone put you into their box. Life is to be enjoyed and who are they to think you can't enjoy yourself by doing your hobby!
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'm good with that, people can CD for whatever reason they want.

I think it is a nice idea and could be fun for the general public. But I caution anyone because it can hook you on the 1st encounter and it don't go away then, ever. I can only agree with Tracii, do it for whatever reason, no need to justify it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Banned Read only
    Chantal,
    I'm not going to give you the argument about it not being a hobby to some of us , I accept that is the way you personally see it .

It is interesting to read that both genders have shown an attraction to CDing as a hobby , it may also be interesting if some who do attend your meetings go on to feel it is more than hobby , perhaps stirring up deeper feelings and hidden needs .

Would you keep us up to date to tell us how it goes , also even treated as a hobby how their partners accept the situation , it's normally their reaction that leads to questions of why and what we do and the fallout from it .

I can't claim I'm looking forward to "hobbyists" entering the bathroom debate.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I never thought about cross dressing as a mere hobby. It is much more than that to me.
    If someone wants to discover cross dressing more power to them. The more the merrier.

I think it's great. I do it not because I want to look like a woman, but that I love the clothes and their history.

I'm not sure I understand the motivation of these "late boomers" to suddenly have discovered crossdressing as something they might want to experiment with. Is this the same crowd that embraces any trendy fad because it happens to be the "in" thing at the moment, just to move on to something else once the novelty has worn off and their attention span has been stretched to the limit? You know, like getting tatts, body piercings, nose rings, dying one's hair in day-glo colours or else shaving half of one's head, sporting microbladed eyebrows, wearing multiple earrings in each ear, etc.?

Truth is, for most of us here, our desire to crossdress - irregardless of the end purpose - came spontaneously from within, and usually starting at a young age such as 5 or 6 years old. No one had to expose us to it in order for us to love and embrace it the way, say - a young person who is introduced to playing a musical instrument might have been...only to discover that they, too, love it - whereas if the exposure had never occured, they would never have discovered the joy of playing said instrument.

What I am saying is that these potential "hobbyists" have no business aligning themselves with us "true" crossdressers. They may be cos-players assuming female personas, actors open to playing female roles, teenaged boys who are willing participants in the infamous "Womanless Beauty Pageants" popular in the U.S. South, or else feminist males prepared to participate in the "men in heels" type of stiletto-themed charity runs supporting worthy women's causes such as breast cancer research funding etc., etc., - but true crossdressers they ain't. Do we want their patronizing type of support? Maybe some here do...I for one, don't.

These "interested parties" and self-proclaimed supporters are just plain old men in dresses...the emotional attachment that we have to our crossdressing just isn't there for them. There is a difference...

I see nothing wrong with persuing it as a hobby if that is what you are about! Thanks for spreading it around a little! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

As far as I'm concerned, if you put on a dress, you're in the club. I don't care why you do it.

A " hobby" huh
    I'm going to have to give this one some thought
    I wonder if all my emotional angst is a hobby

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm VERY CONFUSED, Chantal! Altho I suspect I was trans when I began dressing 20 years ago? I know now I'm simply a CD. Or, female impersonator? It may have been a hobby for me. But, it's become a social lifestyle!

And, I've met 100's of other dressers but can't recall even one hobby dresser among them?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Well it was quite a different chit chat session than what I am used to when crossdressing is discussed out in a public place. So laid back and no shame in talking about it loudly. The chat started off on discussing what each other is looking forward to experiencing. From wearing specific type of clothing to what type of fun they could do. Seems to be not much concerns on what is generally the issues of crossdressing. Turns out for the most part they had interests of crossdressing prior, however haven’t acted on it. Out of the three people, one mentioned that it was due to not identifying with the crossdressing he was aware of. Unfortunately, the female that contacted me just came by for a brief hello due to attending the Jets hockey game nearby.

Darn March Madness and Jets game got my attention for the past hour atleast while I was composing this taking me forever

Thanks for this. I enjoy crossdressing.
    I once went to Fantasia Fair and it was terrible.
    It felt like if you were not ready to Trans then you probably
    did not belong.

I think Dressing can be what you make it.

Call it what you will and it may not be such a hobby these days, more like a lifestyle.

Nothing wrong with it being a hobby, a lot of train drivers play with model trains as a hobby and take their job seriously as well.

What is wrong with a man creating a bit of theatre and seeing how well he can pass as a woman.

It did a lot for my self esteem many years ago.

I was a nothing but as a woman I was a smash hit.

Yep! A great hobby when I started. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Leslie
    Somehow I do feel they may have a hidden motive.

OK it could go the other way and they are frustrated Drag artists but don't have talent or balls to do it.

Do you really think it can harm the rest of us ? Men have been dressing up for centuries , I admit I'm a great believer in raising money for charity and would accept dressing up in a good cause, in fact I have done it several times in the past . Maybe some of them are plain old men squashed into their wives dresses , if it does some good where's the harm .

Chantal asked for members not to question the hobby angle , it's not for me but some do enjoy it as such , I've had to learn to accept that as long as people respect where we are coming from and don't question our motives and needs .

Chantal,

I read . They were not aware that it could be done for leisure and social purposes. and I must admit it made me wonder exactly what it is that they think they'll be doing. Let's face it, it's not as if it's an every day thing that a male puts on a dress and goes out for leisure purposes.

If you want to join our club then it's something you instinctively feel a need to do. Whether you want to trans, dress solely at home or go out and about, it's not done just to pass a few hours. I would suggest if there's one thing that joins us all it's that to a lesser or greater extent we all have not so much a desire to dress as a deep seated compulsion.

I wouldn't be surprised if those folks who contacted you have been deep in the closet dressers. This is their opportunity to meet someone and go beyond just wearing odd items in the seclusion of their own homes.
    Who dares wears Get in, get out without being noticed

Thank you Teresa for the acceptance of that there are some of us with the hobby mindset. I have had met a few females at a kink based event several years ago, that enjoyed participating in crossdressing. So much so that they were in the planning to start a social group of their own or join Masquerade. Unfortunately, the person that had only motivation to be a leader of the group was already had her hands full with the Tortured Youth group (an under 30’s group in which helped many young folks discover the alternative lifestyles and/or kinky fun). They have been asked to be poster boys for the local kinky event (as per photo added with Guido’s permission to do so)
    At the coffee chat, the conversation did not delve into about the partners.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    I can't claim I'm looking forward to "hobbyists" entering the bathroom debate.
    May lead the focus to tearing down the binary classification of the restrooms! Single neutral gender rooms seem to be the focus at some bars and restaurants here in Winnipeg

Sorry Leslie, I was going to discuss this true crossdresser but thought not in this thread. Create a thread and lets discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    Thanks for this. I enjoy crossdressing.
    I once went to Fantasia Fair and it was terrible.
    It felt like if you were not ready to Trans then you probably
    did not belong.
    Your welcome, I am sure you are not the first to feel that way at some transgender based conferences. Makes you scratch your head on transgender being deemed as an umbrella

Using iphone to reference multiple posts takes so much time and work to do so. Not to mention waiting for the permission to share the pic of the poster magnet. sorry people gonna hold up there in responses until I have more time to do so
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Chantel,

I am very curious about this please do keep us updated.

Would try Maria, may be in a new thread though as good chance this one would be closed before any update could happen

Honestly ya'll

Call it what you want....I see it as the more in favor would just be more folks to help us all be out of the closet. If they are all hobbyists and they boldly go where we would like to go wouldn't that make it easier for us to go there?

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Chantal View Post
    *please refrain from posting the “crossdressing is not a hobby” and “crossdressing is more than just a hobby” type of statements... we all know it isn’t for you as you probably already mentioned it several times, respect that some of us do treat it as a hobby/a leisure interest

[Moderating] Please respect the OP's desire to discuss "hobbyist crossdressing" in this thread.
    Last edited by Pat; 03-16-2018 at 10:23 PM.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.