Thread: My legal name change

My legal name change

Today is a special day for me. I have legally changed my name in the Israel Ministry of Interior. My new name is Dorit, (pronounced door-eat), it is an obvious Hebrew female name and it means "generation." The process also includes a photo taken by the clerk and the issuance of a new identity card and passport with the new photo! Gender is another issue, to be addressed in the future.

Like life for us transgender women, it did not come easy. I wrote the story of my day:

I woke up this morning (we get up at 4:00 am), the day of my appointment with the Ministry of Interior in Tiberias, with a combination of doubt and anxiety. I felt the doubt was normal and not overwhelming, I was not going to change my mind. Esther, my therapist, had actually helped me with this last time we met in saying it was OK to have doubts, especially in the light of all the negativity I have received. The anxiety was that something would go wrong at the Ministry. I had talked with someone at Mavarim, the transgender support organization in Tel Aviv, hoping I could use them as a backup. They said no one would be available to answer a call at 8:15 am, the time of my appointment, but there was absolutely no reason they could refuse my request.

I am in the waiting room of the Ministry with my wife. My number is called and I enter a room with a youngish, secular woman at the desk. She looks over my documents, pauses, and then announces that she cannot fulfill my request! This will have to be referred to her superiors, they will make a decision and I will have to come back some other day for their answer.

I was devastated at first, but I was not going to accept her answer. I explained to her that I had been in contact with a transgender rights organization and they told me that the Ministry would not refuse my request. She replied that she didn't care what any organization told me, this was the way she was going to operate. I then told that I was not going to leave, I had waited two months for this appointment, and that I wanted to speak to her supervisor. She then acquiesced that she would now get in contact with her superiors, and that I could wait outside. I went out to the waiting room, she closed the door. About 10 minutes passed and she called me back in. Without a word of apology, she then began to process my request!!

After all the photos, forms, payments, and fingerprints were done before I left the room I thanked her from the depth of my heart!❤

I am now legally Dorit Greenberg!!🙋

Congratulations, Dorit!! I'm so happy for you! And awesome bravery!
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Way to go for standing up to another obstructionist bureaucrat. Happy for you!

Wow, wow, wow! Dorit, thanks for sharing your experience, I wouldn't say adventure, story but experience because what you experience there is helpfull for all us.
    Your courage is a great example.
    I feel very identified in your a deer to that woman. I never accept the first negative answer and ask for the next supervisor and if that person doesn't accept my request I keep escalating but in your vulnerable situation a lot of courage is needed.
    Bravo Dorit! As Neil Armstrong in the moon you made a small steep for your life, many more will come, but it was, for sure I big step for other trasgenders will come after you...
    Thanks.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Very happy for you Dorit
    If you can't laugh and have fun you might as well go home.

Nevertheless, she persisted! Bravo, Dorit!

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Congratulations on standing up for yourself and overcoming the clerk's reluctance!

A truly memorable day
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Dorit,

I admire you for standing up for your rights.

Hugs, Barbara
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 03-20-2018 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Sorry, English only means exactly that
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

A wonderful moment of confirmation Dorit, congratulations. You are a kind person who deserves to live comfortably as the human being you are and to be addressed as such.

Wishing peace and happiness for you,
    ((((Hug)))) Carlene

Aviatrix in Waiting Melanie Moxon's Avatar
    Congratulations, that must be a massive weight off your shoulders.

Gold Member
    A name change is perhaps the biggest validation there is.
    It is good you were able to get yours. Sorry you had to deal with that lady being rude about it. She probably just didn't feel like working. But it does not matter now.

Well, no turning back now
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

CONGRATS, Dorit.

That's such wonderful news.

I can identify with all the apprehension you felt that day.

I just called for an appointment with a Lawyer here in New York to get my name change done.

Right now I'm playing that waiting game.
    The source of fear is in the future
    And a person freed of the future
    Has nothing to fear

"That's life. It's not always rainbows and farts. Sometimes the farts have a little something extra." -Emma

Rock meet Hard Place.

How wonderful Dorit. Congratulations. Having just gotten there a few months ago myself I know exactly what an incredible feeling it is to now know that you are legally the person you've always known that you were. All the very best

Congrat Dorit.....but what an experience! I must command you for standing up to this close-minded agent and request that her supervisor get involved.