Thread: Give Me Strength ...

Silver Member

Give Me Strength ...

I’ve been on HRT for 5-1/2 years and have lost a lot of muscle mass and strength. No surprise there and, aside from learning new logistics when hauling or moving things, no problem. I’ve even moved twice in that period, doing most of the work myself.

Until yesterday, when I had my first serious challenge. We decided to reuse a granite tabletop - a 500 lb granite top - as a desktop on top of 2 drawer units. 3 problems: Getting it to the door. Getting it through the door and uncreated. And setting it up.

My wife and I managed to get it to the door without killing ourselves. She can’t lift at all and is limited in the her ability to push because of knee issues, but she could help scoot it by slightly prying one end with a handcart. After I propped one end up on the jamb, first lift, I leaned it against the door frame and broke the crate open.

After a reasonably moderate lift off the bottom crate rail and onto a moving blanket, we slid it to the first interior door. Where I had to rotate it vertically. Holy crap! I haven’t tried a lift like that in years. As hard as that was, though, the worst was to come.

After walking it through the door, we lowered one end onto the first drawer unit. And took a break. Now I had to lift the other end from the floor with the far end 30 inches higher. From a squat. Without being able to get my hands under the end, and having to prevent it sliding backwards at the same time. OMFG!!!! I thought I was going to break my back. And hands, and legs, and gut ... I was on the floor for 15 minutes afterward.

5 or 6 years ago this would have been a reasonable thing to do. A couple of heavy heaves to be sure, but no problem. Truthfully, I should have gotten help. Pride, I suppose. There are a lot of lessons here, not he least of which is that no matter how much you adjust, there’s always something new you’re not prepared for. Second, aspects of self image (ability, in this case) don’t disappear on their own. Third, despite anything else, you’re still seen as the husband. Last, of course, stop lifting heavy s***.
    Last edited by LeaP; 03-22-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Typo
    Lea

Great story! Estrogen isn’t the only culprit in muscle loss because age does the same thing. That’s why one has a 600 pound lifting capacity hydraulic cart, an engine hoist for non-engine lifting, and a pulley over the work bench to move the furniture being constructed.

Reality Check
    Yes, age does the same thing. Not that I was ever the strongest guy on the block, but I've gotten to the point now where I know not to try doing things myself that I would have done ten or twenty years ago. The will is still there but I have to face reality.

Getting old is a bitch but it beats the alternative.
    Krisi

Funny, but I had the same experience just yesterday. I am only 4 months on HRT. I was up on a ladder trying to cut some branches off our date palm and did not have the strength to do it. This is something I have done for twenty years. Do I know any 70 year old women that would even consider trying such a thing?

Banned Read only
    Leap,
    Sadly we do get the point where the brain is still willing but the mechanics fail us , I'm not a heavily built person but it never stopped me , I find I haven't got the same confidence on ladders and working at height maybe explained by the fact I have fallen twice. Age either brings caution or it just tells you there's got to be an easier way to do something like pay someone else !!

Silver Member
    I’m not sure how I would have moved this even with equipment. Perhaps a piano board and rigger’s dollies, but I’d still need something inside. I guess that would be hired help. Funny thing is, I rebuilt a table saw a few months ago. I had my moments with that, too, but it was a walk in the park by comparison with the granite.

On the age thing ... I get it ... I don’t want to hear it!
    Lea

I think you're really brave to move a 500lb slab of granite, LeaP, and you and your wife were lucky you didn't hurt yourselves badly. Even those big, strong auto mechanics use a hoist to pull an engine, as they want to live to pull another. And I think we'd all miss you here if your back fell off.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Silver Member
    Well, Lallie, you know the old saying - “brave is as stupid does.” That no-one was hurt is a good thing, but I was pretty careful (beyond over-lifting itself) not to put either of us in a dangerous position.

And thank you for the sentiment!

The LAST time I remember setting up this slab of granite on its last set of table legs was in 2007, and I used the front-end loader on my tractor to get it up to the house and on the front deck. Still did the inside set-up manually, though, but I don’t even remember that part of it ... a non-event back then.
    Lea

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    Yes, age does the same thing. Not that I was ever the strongest guy on the block, but I've gotten to the point now where I know not to try doing things myself that I would have done ten or twenty years ago. The will is still there but I have to face reality.

Getting old is a bitch but it beats the alternative.
    I've never done HRT, but many household chores have become much more difficult due to aging. In the past, my wife has been able to help some, but she's aging also.

We just had the first snow of the winter on the first day of spring. It was only 5 to 6 inches, but it was very wet and heavy. The snowblower broke, but ut was having enough trouble handling the wet snow anyhow. So, I had to do it the old fashioned way. I could still lift the snow pretty well, but I couldn't toss it to the side of the driveway. I had to rest every 5 minutes or so, and I wouldn't let my daughter go inside to warm up, because she's CPR qualified.

As they say, growing old isn't for sissies (but dressing up may be).
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.