Thread: The pro noun thing

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.

The pro noun thing

Wondered everyone's take on the gender pro noun thing that came out a few years ago.
    I had a friend ask which gender pro noun to use with me and I said just call me by my name and leave the pronouns to him or her depending on how I am presenting.
    Seemed simple enough to me but she had a hard time with simple and had to make things harder than it needed to be.
    Worried she would offend me by not using the correct new gender pro noun.
    I told her I don't know any trans person that uses those made up gender pronouns like ze zim zer and not to worry about it.
    We got thru lunch but she kept going on about it that I wanted out of there and just get away from her.
    I guess we all have that one annoying friend LOL.

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    I think your post could've been written by me, Tracii. I'm very happy if I get called Miss, though.
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Banned Read only
    I've been cited on occasion on this forum for using an "incorrect" pronoun. Personally, I can understand why a person transitioning to the opposite sex may be offended. Maybe the degree of offense can be gauged by the intent of the person addressing the transgender individual. Me? I am a male who on occasion emulates a woman by wearing society's designated women's wear. I freely admit to being a "guy in a dress" no matter if I were to be passable or not. However, that's me. Others feel differently.

I've had some people"correct" me for not using the latest term for a designated group. It does not matter how the term is used or whether there is agreement or not as to the issue at hand. I find those people somewhat irritating and I'll tell them that. Sometimes political correctness runs amok.

I have HAD in the past some annoying friends. Notice the past tense in the verb.

I guess you could call the new pro nouns- con nouns. I guess if someone calls me one of the new ones I'll have to respond with HUH? Too much politically correct for me.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Senior Member Read only Allison Chaynes's Avatar
    This whole "72 genders" thing is BS to me. Call me however I am presenting. I get trans, bigender, etc, but this Xe, Xim, etc stuff.... it hurts the rest of us, honestly, by making us look stupid.
    Life is too short to be boring.

Banned Spammer
    I would not acknowledge or respond to being called one of the new silly ass pronouns anyway so kind of useless.
    I think someone had too much time on their hands and too little common sense that came up with the idea.
    The best way for me to combat that "correctness" is to not pay attention to it and hope it just goes away.
    I remember reading John Money's book in college on gender and thinking this guy is nuts.
    The 72 genders thing is a bit of a stretch and I think the feminists are the ones that pushed John Money's idea in the 70's.
    College was fun in 1970 I had a blast.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 03-22-2018 at 05:19 PM.

Hell-o Traci,
    I guess I must have missed the
    informational meeting about these
    new pronouns?
    What in the hell is a “ze” ?

I really don’t care if I get referred to as
    he or her, but I would think that if someone
    doesn’t know me at all, they would “simply”
    use the pronouns that match my presentation.

As far as annoying friends go...
    I have one that I’d be willing to trade for yours!

Much Love,
    Kristyn
    I smile because you are my friend, and
    I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!!!

I have not come across any one using them! Other than at Keystone, I am usually "Sir!" I think the proper pronoun matches presentation! That is what I will use unless corrected! IMHO Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Banned Spammer
    The silly gender pro noun thing has been around a few years and I find it silly and demeaning at the same time Kristyn.
    Its all so confusing and really unnecessary to be honest.

I think it's more of a concern with the millennial generation. And I think they get these ideas from their liberal professors. This being offending trend will go away some day - when reality hits.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Pronouns are a necessary part of language. Using the ones someone prefers is a necessary part of politeness. The "new" pronouns (xe, ze, etc.) are meaningful and correct to some people. You don't have to use them but you should respect the folks who do (in the same manner you yourself wish to be respected.) I admit, at this point in history pronouns are kind of a minefield -- I'm doing volunteer work that brings me in contact with all manner of folks in the TG community and I spend a lot of time apologizing for getting someone's pronouns wrong. But that's all I do -- apologize and move on with the intent to do better next time.

A Warning, however (in moderating tones): Making disrespectful comments about any subgroup in our community (e.g. people who use pronouns you don't like or people who care about pronouns when you don't) will get this thread locked and/or deleted. Please read the rules (https://www.crossdressers.com/forums...es#faq_content )
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

I would just go by presentation unless corrected myself. The transgendered spectrum is actually all over the place and if I get to know someone and they wish to be called by something else, then I would respect that and do my best and they have to do their best to accept it if I accidentally slip up.

Banned Spammer
    Pat you might as well shut this thread down and I am so sorry for even posting anything on here.
    I work with trans people too but my opinion is just not welcome here.
    My opinion that it is silly is just that my opinion you may not like my opinion but I do have a right to say it.
    I was not pointing out anyone on this forum just for the record but I am sure you were assuming that because of your bias.

If you'd rather have it locked than read and follow the rules, I can do that for you.

Closed at OP's request.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.