Thread: Who said women don't wear Skirts and Dresses

Who said women don't wear Skirts and Dresses

Most women don't dress up any more for any thing. We go out in skirts and tops sometime in dresses in heels. We feel wonderful when we do.

While yesterday I went to a school play for my granddaughter. And there was my sons ex wife was there dressed to the 9's. Skirt, top and high heel boots. Hair do perfect makeup done right she was beautiful wishing I was her. Before the breakup I had stay at their house I had looked in her closet we were the same size in and shoes. I wish I could get her hand me downs. Plus tell her I dress and let her do my makeup. Oh she a beautician and has worked with Crossdressers before.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

So if she has worked with cross dressers before and your son isn't married to her anymore, what is the problem with telling her?

I don't think she would want me around the grandkids. Just from the way she called about the CDs that came to her shop.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

I must agree with you Glenda, it seems hypocritical but that is how it is.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Yes there are women who still dress, but there is some laziness on their side also.
    I will wear a skirt or dress to church most of the time. I've had ladies comment to me that they got so used to wearing pants and jeans that they just didn't think about it. I will say that more are wearing skirts and dresses than when I started attending. And much cuter tops, I guess I'm a trend setter LOL.

I work in an office campus that has five buildings with somewhere between 5,000 and 7,000 people working in it. The tenants in the buildings are mostly law firms, accounting firms, insurance firms, as well as some oil and gas firms. My observation is the split is about 50/50 on the way the women are dressed with about half of them wearing dresses or skirts.

Since I'm planning to get a wig, I have lately begun to pay attention to the women's hair styles, especially on the women who are nearer my age. The thing I've noticed is very few of the women seem to bother with styling their hair. They just let it hang straight which wouldn't be bad, if they at least had it trimmed. This behavior isn't limited to just the women who wear pants, either. A majority of the women wearing dresses seem to be afflicted with the same lack of concern.

Friday I was on the elevator with five other men and one woman. The woman was wearing a nice sheath dress and nude tone 3 inch heels, she had some make up on, but her hair which was shoulder length was straight, limp and uneven. It appeared as those she hadn't been to have it cut in months. The other thing that caught my eye were her eyebrows. They had been trimmed short, but OMG, they were were wider than nearly all of the men's eyebrows in the elevator and more the twice as wide as mine. Because of her hair and eyebrows she did not portray a professional appearance.

it was sad.

I think many of us live in some sort of bubble about how women dress. Yes, styles have changed, and for the senior members here, who remember their mom's, aunts, grandmother's and just women in general wearing skirts or dresses nearly all the time, those times have changed, but they changed long ago.

So while everyday dress and hair and make up is not what it used to be 50+ years ago, MOST do dress for the occasions. And if you happen to find yourself out at a college town on a weekend night, you will find quite an assortment of extremely feminine apparel among the college girls. They may not dress that way on a Wednesday morning for class, but for the situation they will rock what they got, most of them anyway.

I would also suggest geographically you will find the warmer climates and especially near beaches to find more of the dresses and skirts and more feminine nature clothing than say way up north in the middle of our 6 months of deep freeze. Style takes second to keeping warm. Lastly, small rural towns, you are going to find women to be not as feminine in nature, although equally opposite feminine as compared to the men.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

I've been counting, for fun, and the highest I ever got was 1 in 10, in London, and nearly every one with black tights under! Here in the subway to downtown SF, maybe 1 in 20- in my suburb, 1 in 50, at college, 1 in 100, at a [cold] evening lecture- 1 in 500.

Tunics over leggings are the new version of the dress, but really look more like the new version of the pantsuit. Women's fashions must change for the economy to work properly [;0)] but I'm sadly observing that dresses as I love them are going out except among college girls out clubbing, and high class call girls! I was shocked to find some thrift stores don't even have dresses on the racks anymore except for juniors and grade school.

Putting myself in the shoes of a young woman deciding how to dress- my main problem is being taken seriously as a professional, not as a sex object or the 'little woman'. The power relationships built into the masculine and feminine dress codes are now seen as degrading, rather than normal.

My mom matter of factly says she prefers pants- She had her fill of required dresses and stockings and pumps, and it has no magic for her-except when dressing up for a party.

As a mirl, I get to enjoy dresses as intended, without the power loss risk. I'm encouraged to hear that Nikki found her example was encouraging other women to get back into it!
    We are all beautiful...!

In the area
    of Illinois where i live, a skirt or dress is a very rare sighting.

I dunno. Seems activity related. Pass by the velvet ropes at a club, almost of the women are in skirts and dresses. Go to a wedding, same thing.

Yet all the girls playing soccer are wearing pants.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Around me it depends on when you go out, at 10 am you will see alot of comfortable clothes where as the day goes on women get more dressy. At around 1 pm they get dressed very nicely. And I see plenty of trendy outfits including skirts and dresses. Maxi dresses were super in last year.

Reality Check
    Years ago, females typically wore dresses or skirts and blouses. It wasn't so long ago that girls were required to wear dresses or skirts and blouses to school. Pants or shorts were not allowed.

Before we get too exited about the change, remember that in years gone by, men typically wore suits, ties and even hats. Jeans were for farmers.

I seldom see women wearing dresses or skirts in my area unless they are going to work in an office, high end retail store or such or are going to church. A sign of the times.
    Krisi

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    In my local city center you see women in skirts and dresses everywhere, outside of that not nearly so much. Fortunately for me I live very close to the city.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I am truly blessed with a wife who dresses to the 9s as you say, she never allows anyone to see her without makeup and is never frumpy.. but on that note, in my drab, i also dress up daily.. I truly believe in making impressions with every person you meet, good or bad. But unfortantly I cannot fit into my wife clothes but she does give me pointers or sometimes just buys me an outfit that she thinks would look good on me.
    As far as letting her into your inner circle of friends with the knowledge I personally would be scared of all my family finding out, not sure if you are closeted or not... if not just watch from afar and take fashion notes
    Look at me, a LARGE power lifting man and under all of this Makeup & Lace and if I can look pretty than so can you!

From Sometimes_miss
    Seems activity related. Pass by the velvet ropes at a club, almost of the women are in skirts and dresses.
    Exactly! If there is an activity or event where dresses are the norm, then women generally wear dresses. Some women also have to dress professionally for work and have a very extensive selections of women's suits.

I don't believe men dress in suits and ties unless they are going to a dressy event or in a professional capacity. My husband never wanders around the house dressed in a suit (could be because he doesn't own a suit).

Platinum Member
    Char is right. I worked in a professional office and wore a dress shirt, tie, slacks and shined shoes everyday for over thirty years. Occasionally when out in the field it was a suit or sport coat. I still "dress up" for weddings, funerals and more formal dinners and venues. Otherwise you may find me in cut off jeans and a white tee shirt and no socks and shoes. My wife hates the look. When I am going to emulate a woman it's always a dress, heels and hosiery. The dress will always reflect the circumstances from a floor length winter party dress to a summer sun dress.

As to the failure of women to please the guy with an eye for a pretty dress there are plenty of places. Try Costco after Sunday church. Plenty of women with their families shopping and eating hot dogs. When I did work in the financial district which entailed working across the table with CPA's, attorneys and business men and women my female boss was always poorly dressed. Same with a lot of the women. Sweat suits and capri pants are not professional. Some I never saw ever wear a dress. Sign!

Gold Member
    I also live in Illinois, and the only dress or skit you see is in store windows.
    Rader