Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of a Name Change

I like Tommi! How do you feel about being called Tommi now?

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Since you ask, Tommi seems rather a tomboy name to me. But if it feels feminine to you, that's all that matters.

It always interests me that a Christine might choose to remain Christine, but she might choose Chris, Chrissy, Kristy or Tina. I see huge significance in choosing Chris- it's a real statement, a rejection of the feminine.

In my heart I'd like you to choose something more feminine, and I hope it's ok to say that.
    I used to have a short attention spa

I had to think this over for a while.
    I think Tommi (or Tommie) is a good name for you, if you are comfortable with it.
    My only concern was that you did not like being called Tommy as a child. But I suspect that was because the -y suffix added to male names generally indicates a very young boy and can be interpreted as an insult to a young man past about 5 to 10 years old (e.g. not man enough). I believe that you've matured way past that.

Quote Originally Posted by IleneD View Post
    I am going to reveal personal info about myself, and trust my friends and sisters here to not mis-use it; please.
    Ilene, FYI the "Male to Female Crossdressers" section of the forum is public information, open to all, members and non-members (or lurkers as they are commonly called). If you want to keep something among us girls, you are better to post to a Members Only section.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

I actually like Ilene a lot. It is my nail technician's (also a good friend now) name as well, and I also had a beloved great grandmother named Irene.

Tommi or the variations sound kind of juvenile to me.

I specifically wanted a female name that wasn't derived from a common male name. So, no Stephanie, Charlene, Tommi, etc. (not that any of those especially appealed to me, anyway).

- Diane

Then again, there's nothing inherently wrong with your present name. Come on, (E)Ilene!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSQPMNtUNfU

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    On the forum, it's easy to change your name but it really means little. If you're talking about in real life, "Tommi" is a great choice because it's a derivative of what your parents named you and just a small change from what you are used to being called. I think if you want to change it at all, Tommi is a great choice.
    After a bit of thought, I would spell it "Tomi". That's a bit more feminine.
    Krisi

Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    After a bit of thought, I would spell it "Tomi".
    But under the rules of English pronunciation that would be pronounced "Toe-me." You need the second "m" (or at least a second consonant) to make the "o" short. I mean, she could always correct people if they pronounce it wrong, but she'd end up having to do that a lot.
    I am not a woman; I don't want to be a woman; I don't want to be mistaken for a woman.
    I am not a man; I don't want to be a man; I don't want to be mistaken for a man.
    I am a transgender person. And I'm still figuring out what that means.

Yeah, tell that to comedian Denis (Dennis) Leary, and you might just be rewarded with an earful.

On the other hand, comedic actress Ana (Anna) Gasteyer (of SNL fame, among others) might react more benignly...

I agree, I like Ilene too. I'm not sure I would want to be called something I hated when I was a kid.

OMG! Ilene,
    I am in the EXACT same predicament! My birth name is Thomas and I too have been contemplating just going by Tommi!
    I think we should both just do it!

One of the great things about being CD/Trans/TG or whatever is we get the chance to select our own names instead of having one forced on us when we are too young and helpless to argue if we don't like it. For me I wanted a name that had nothing to do with my birth name, each to our own..
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Gold Member
    Here are some possibilities, the name with the reason.

Chuck so people could say, hey what's up Chuck?
    Freddy so people could say "Are you ready Freddy?"
    Joe so people could say "Ready to go, Joe?
    Ronnabellinski so you could tell people you are American/French/Polish mix.
    Areheyho (must roll the R) so you could sound like some exotic lady.
    Sharon Peters - You could say you like "menage a trois"

OR, you could claim to be an urban lady and change your name to Shanaynaynaynaynaynaynaynaynaynaynay
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.