Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cross dresser or transvestite

Square and rectangle

I have always felt that a transvestite wore clothes of the opposite sex for sexual/fetish reasons. While a cross-dresser wore the clothes of the opposite sex for "all the other reasons" (stress relief, more comfortable in the clothes, fit better, looked better, etc). So while a transvestite is/can be a cross-dresser, a cross-dresser is not necessarily a transvestite. That doesn't mean that one can't transition into the other.

Just "my" version of the label...

Transvestite and crossdresser mean the same thing. However, there are some of us who prefer to use the term transvestite to mean someone who gets sexually turned on by wearing the clothes, and the term crossdresser to refer to someone who does not experience that feeling from them. It does not prevent one from being turned on while dressed as a woman, but the clothes are not what has that effect, they are coincidental. I'm not sure whether the mental health community has managed to make a distinction as to what term should be applied to which of us; they are usually a few years behind when it comes to making something like that an official definition in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. Many even don't want something like that to happen, because to them it would imply that what we have is a mental disorder.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I was a transvestite in the 50's, 60'sand 70's and a crossdresser in the 80'a and 90's. Since 2000 I consider myself gender fluid. No matter how you label me. I love dressing, looking like and being accepted as a woman whenever possible.

Jennifer, love the Math/logic reference and can say that there are times that I'm not sure which of those would be the best description, just glad I was able to enjoy the time.

I prefer the term "Femulator".

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Well the "nuances" of the words drift a bit over the years and depending whom you talk to. But "Transvestite" is more "clinical", as a Crossdresser who gets a sexual "charge" out of it and is STRAIGHT. "Crossdresser" is less formal and loosely defined. I DO Disapprove of some words too---"Tranny" is worst as we do not know if it means "Transvestite" OR "Transsexual". BIG difference there and uneducated people may not make the distinction, and leads to misunderstandings.

Superficially, the words mean exactly the same thing. But the connotations of word pairs derived from different sources can change over time and location. British usage seems to be a little more tolerant of the "TV" word.

For example, would you rather have your look described as "exotic" or "outlandish?" The words have the same underlying meaning!

I use "crossdresser" myself but do admit I get a chuckle when Eddie Izzard calls himself an "Executive Transvestite."

- Diane

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    For many people, the term "transvestite" conjures up images of Dr. Frank 'n' Furter of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" fame. 'Nuff said...
    Leslie,
    You are a hoot, girl. You (and Samantha) beat me to it.
    When I hear the word "transvestite" I have the tune ringing in my ears. I even dance to it a little, just for fun sake. "I'm just a sweet transvestite from transexual.......Transylvania !! "
    I would never dress in the manner of Frank, however.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Banned Read only
    Stephanie....I couldn't have possibly summed it up better with less words! Great job! I do like the cross dresser term better. To me, transvestite has a more negative connotation to it than cross dresser.
    I'll always love getting my girl on as Scarlett and wish I could do it more often and I will as soon as our former home is sold. It's listed on April 1st and we hope we get multiple bids on the place by the end of April or the middle of May.
    I don't know what buttons I just pushed but is sure shrunk the size of the font and couldn't figure out how to blow it back up! My computer skills really suck!

Femulator?

Sounds like a moving staircase for women.

Yes, I would use it. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Well Ladies after reading the replies i believe the term cross dresser is the more popular terminology, i have always believed myself to be a cross dresser anyway so that's settled i am a cross dresser.

Thank you all very much for you comments it's much appreciated

Julie

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    I prefer the term crossdresser fully dressed. IMO

I consider myself as a crossdresser. or man in a dress.
    Leslie Mary Shy
    Remember this:
    You do not have to be a man to love a woman, or be a woman to love women's clothes on her or yourself.

Safe? pretty much. Accepted? not really. Telling the truth about the real you doesn't seem to work out to well.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Aspiring Member
    I think a crossdresser just wears female clothes not really trying to pass, while a transvestite would try and go the whole route with wig and makeup. This doesn't seem to be the general consensus here but is my opinion. Not much difference I guess, only the degree or depth of CDing. Sherrii

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    LOL transvestite literally means cross dresser.
    In realty it all about semantics .

Any difference in the two phrases it just in the mind of some.

One can certainly call themselves anything they want but, a transvestite is a cross dresser... and a cross dresser is a transvestite.

I have always said ....half in jest and the other half in seriousness..... that a cross dresser is just someone who wont admit that they are a transvestite .
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 03-29-2018 at 03:49 PM.

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Same word, different language.

Aspiring Member
    I've always called myself a transvestite because when I started, that was the term used. It was much later that I heard "cross dresser". Neither term bothers me, so I'm happy with both.
    I do hate "gurl" though.

I guess I’m still new to this, but I prefer to be called a Cross Dresser. I agree with others that Transvestite has negative connotations. Don’t like Gurl, though.

loved Rocky Horror show! Just a jump to the left...

Michelle.

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Personally, while I accept they are both the same word and I have no problem with them, I do not consider either of them can be applied to me. I suppose you could call me a biological crossdresser (a BCD?) because I dress either androgenously or as a woman nearly all the time, BUT these are the clothes that align to my gender rather than my biological sex. Therefore, in gender terms (I'm not sure if I am all woman but I'm definately not a binary male) I don't believe that I crossdress at all, I just wear clothes as the alternative is a bit chilly. So personally I don't care much for either term when applied to me. My wife doesn't ask me if I'm going out crossdressed, she will ask if I am going as myself or pretending to be a binary male. I guess that when presenting as all male you could call me a gender crossdresser (a GCD?). There you go, 2 new terms for the label lovers amongst you, BCD and GCD. I know what I am, I am me, no more labels required.

I dislike the term transvestite. I am a crossdresser.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Personally and I'm probably very much in the minority,I couldn't care less wether I'm described as a Transvestite or a Crossdresser.I don't think it's a black and white issue as defined by people,dictionary etc."I am a Transvestite" there you go my house hasnt fallen down around my ears
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Transvestite is an old term and has been discussed before. Crossdresser is a better term.
    Part Time Girl

I guess I would have say crossdresser much easier to spell. Lol

From the Latin trans meaning 'to cross' and vestments meaning 'clothes'; so literally transvestite means cross-dresser! Sorry if some one has already covered this.