Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cross dresser or transvestite

Cross dresser or transvestite

I am confused my brain tells me that a cross dresser is somebody who wears male and female clothes at the same time (e.g. panties / bra below male clothes) and a Transvestite is somebody who dresses fully in female clothes.

So if i am correct in thinking that way then why do Gurls on here refer to persons who go out fully dressed as cross dressers and not Transvestites, personally i don't like the terminology Transvestite?

Just a thought

Regards

Julie

Silver Member
    They are really the same thing. Whether you just wear panties once in a while or dress to the nines every day with wig, boobs and makeup, we all fit under the same tent. For me, there's a major difference in the usage of the two words. Transvestite is a more clinical word that suggests a psychological defect requiring treatment. I find the notion that we are defective so repugnant I refuse to use the word. But that's just me.

They are essentially the same thing, language evolves over time and cross dresser is a more acceptable term to use these days.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Julie,
    This is a regular question, and simply answered , it is the same thing.

Transvestite is Latin , Trans = to cross , vestite = vestments/garb/clothes , to cross or change clothes usually adding of the opposite sex ( gender , if you like ). In the literal translation there is no connection or mention of sexual content , simply an exchange of clothes . So from that we get crossdressing .

Many don't like Transvestite because of what media and society have suggested by the meaning . It's just a label , I don't like "crossdressing " because to me it now suggests it's something the public think we do in private , squeezing into their wife's clothes making a mess of themselves with badly applied makeup and maybe some sexual release . I now prefer to say I'm TG there is more going on than just wearing the clothes , to me they are the window to the World of how we feel inside , I have a female side which I'm not afraid or ashamed to show .

The problem with using transgender is the media often transpose that to mean transsexual . Also the complication there is someone in transition usn't changing their sex but aligning their gender . I some time wonder if we do over complicate the issues too much . We expect the public to understand and accept us but make it harder by coming up with new labels because we don't feel we fit exactly in the right box.

Marcelle use to say labels are for soup cans , I'm afraid we do need labels to explain all this to our wives and family , there's no escaping them if we want to move forward .
    Last edited by Teresa; 03-27-2018 at 05:00 AM.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    But we MUST have "Labels" or words to describe people and objects or whatever----Thought works with WORDS---if we do not have a word for something we might can visualize it, but cannot THINK about it. EVERYTHING has to have a name. Hey, it's the way the brain is designed. Yes, we can give things another name if we don't like the common term, but, as a Scientist, I know we MUST define it in text and conversation each time we use it, so our audience is "on the same page". So to speak.

A "Crossdresser" and "Transvestite" are generally the same thing. But most literature suggests that a "Transvestite" is specifically crossdresser who is NOT homosexual. Crossdressers, typically, are not homosexual anyway but "Transvestite" is a more clinical term for a non homosexual crossdresser. Yes, some homosexuals may cross-dress, but not for the same reasons as straight guys, and there are many other reasons to cross-dress, theater jobs, disguise, evasion or just simply FUN. But these would not be considered "transvestites"
    Last edited by MarinaTwelve200; 03-27-2018 at 06:12 AM.

Platinum Member
    Hi Baldy , The word Crossdresser just sounds a lot softer than Transvestite.>Orchid......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Transvestite sounds more feminine, but they both the same

Rayleen
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

Reality Check
    A crossdresser is a transvestite and vice versa. In my opinion, "transvestite" is a bit of an insult. I would prefer people to refer to me as a crossdresser.
    Krisi

When I first told my wife about this site, she says you aren't a crossdresser. She said that a crossdresser is someone that wears the other genders clothes all the time. She said what I had was a fetish since I only wear it when no one is around. After explaining the definitions, she definitely agrees with the crossdresser term now.

I put transvestite and “gurl” in the same category. Yes, I am a transvestite, gurl, and cross dresser but prefer the latter term because it has less adverse associations in the public arena. “Gurl” just grates.

Years ago (1950's & 60's), when I first became aware that I wasn't unique, the correct term was "transvestite." The term "crossdresser" hadn't been invented yet. Over the years, the term "transvestite" became associated with the sleazier side of crossdressing (sex workers and such). Also, it makes crossdressing sound like some sort of weird medical condition. These days most crossdressers would rather not be called transvestites, even though the two terms mean exactly the same thing.

Personally, I don't care. I don't mind being referred to as a transvestite or tranny or TV. The more modern terms, CD, TG, crossdresser, transgender, etc. are also just fine with me. However, my preferred term, when referring to myself is "woman."

Transvestite was the original term and when devised in the late 1800's it was considered to indicate a kind of behavioral aberration. Thirty to fifty years later that opened the door to it being used like Sissy and was considered a derogatory reference to some a freaky male who wore women's clothes. Now it seems to have achieved the honor of being an archaic term used mostly by people who are still living in the 1930's or 40's. In other words it is associated with an age class and reflects the culture they grew up in.

Where I live it is definitely considered a derogatory insult toward someone like us. Here crossdresser usually refers to a person with a masculine identity who prefers wearing women's clothes. But if the person has a significant but partial feminine identity then "trans" or "transgender" is appropriate. If the person is essentially total feminine then transexual is preferred - with or without surgery. That is in Denver; I am sure that in Kansas City or Salt Lake City, each about 500 miles away, it is a bit different. Denver is a very trans friendly city; other places not so much.

Banned Read only
    Cross dresser = Transvestite. They are one and the same. If one is wearing women's clothing under male clothing it seems the popular term is "under dressing."

I've always stated it is best to explain in sentences and paragraphs rather than one word. How would you reduce a preoperative transsexual to a single word when wearing women's clothing? If the person's sexual identity is that of a female, although having male genitals, is that person cross dressing when wearing women's clothing or cross dressing when wearing men's clothes?

Is a man who wears women's panties under his jeans a cross dresser or has a fetish for nylon panties?

Just my thoughts.

As Teresa explained they mean exactly the same. Over the years transvestite was abbreviated to "Tranny" and that word came to be freighted with bad associations for some people and was used in a derogatory sense also.

Me-- I'm a fetishistic transvestite and I don't give a stuff about any negative connotation.

I feel like Transvestite is a more dated term, and has others have said, can carry an insulting connotation. I always felt that it always felt that it kind of winkingly noded at a fetishistic intent. But that could just be Rocky coloring my perception.

The meaning for both is the same.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

For many people, the term "transvestite" conjures up images of Dr. Frank 'n' Furter of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" fame. 'Nuff said...

It is only recently that I have heard that people think transvestite is insulting. To me it just sounds more serious (formal) than cross-dresser. I often say to my wife "it can be difficult being a tranny" in a humorous tone. Words do matter but it is dangerous to assume that someone is being insulting. I sometimes say to others that I am a transvestite, sometimes I say cross-dresser sometimes I say that I enjoy wearing women's clothes.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have always found Rocky Horror to be nasty and very revolting and demeaning to TG people.
    I have seen clips of the movie but have never been to a showing. I want nothing to do with it or the people that go to it that think is cool.
    The terms mean the same thing generally speaking but like some others transvestite sounds clinical.
    Crossdresser I like better but I would rather be called ma'am and thought of as a woman.
    @ Julie remember assuming or using your male logic to try to explain anything to do with CDing will end up causing you to be wrong.LOL
    Last edited by Tracii G; 03-27-2018 at 11:31 AM.

How did that happen ? Samantha2015's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie Langford View Post
    For many people, the term "transvestite" conjures up images of Dr. Frank 'n' Furter of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" fame. 'Nuff said...
    I'm the same way, don't like the term TV for that same reason. Seems sleazy and not what most of us are going for.
    Hugs
    Samantha

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Although I regard myself as a cross dresser, that is I fully dress, on this side of the pond we are often referred to as 'Trannies' (i.e. transvestites). I don't particularly like the word but it is far from a major issue.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Hard to say who determines who or what someone is called. When I was really young the term Transvestite was used, so I went with that. The last 3 or 4 decades the term Crossdresser has come into preferred favor. Evidently some feel it's not considered a fetish that way. The way I see it, I'm myself regardless of what they call it.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

I call myself a CD on here, but I like the term tranny more. If I get a GF, I'll ask her to call me that. I like tranny, because it's naughty (and I never cuss; I want to be a mildly $lu++y princess).
    Last edited by LelaK; 03-27-2018 at 01:40 PM.
    T-shirt says: "Hi, I Crossdress!"

Technically they both mean the same thing (as many others have pointed out), the difference being Latin or English.
    I prefer Crossdresser since the word 'Transvestite' seems to carry a lot of negative baggage along with it.

If your cross dress in the UK, you may be referred to as a transvestite. The first time I heard the word (or phrase?) crossdresser was on Phil Donahue's show. You can call yourself a crossdresser but if someones calls you a transvestite, they aren't wrong.

Maybe if we all starting using the word transvestite it would lose that negative connotation you're all afraid of. Go ahead and say it - "I'm a transvestite"!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder