Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cross dresser or transvestite

They are interchangeable for me, however I tend to use cross dresser more.

Pirate Queen wannabe Maria Blackwood's Avatar
    I always thought of TV meaning less concerned with being passable than CD, although how I arrived at that is some untangleable mess of my particular life experiences.

I like the term cross dresser better but as far as i know there is no equivalent for it in other languages, at least not in the two languages i speak most often, Dutch and Spanish. In fact I am only out to.my girlfriend with whom I speak Spanish so the only term I use to describe my habit is the Spanish: travesti.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria Blackwood View Post
    I always thought of TV meaning less concerned with being passable than CD
    Crossdressing has absolutely nothing to do with trying to pass as a woman. There is no requirement to wear makeup and / or other accessories or to comport oneself in a feminine manner. However, some crossdressers go beyond dressing and will do their best to appear as a woman, usually with cosmetics, wigs, etc...

Everyone is free to find the path that works best. A man who only croasdresses in panties is still a crossdresser.
    Last edited by Tracy Irving; 05-28-2018 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Too plural

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Irving View Post
    Crossdressing has absolutely nothing to do with trying to pass as a woman.
    Oh, really?

That's news to me. That particular variation may not be a requirement to have the term crossdresser apply, but it is absolutely incorrect to state that anyone who pursues a feminine presentation is not a crossdresser.

Where do people come up with this stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    it is absolutely incorrect to state that anyone who pursues a feminine presentation is not a crossdresser.
    If crossdressing was defined as trying to pass as a woman, I would agree with you. Unfortunately, it is not.

You have every right to misinterpret my writing. Hopefully, someone trying to present as a woman is dressing in women's clothing. Yes, they are a crossdresser. I never said they weren't.

There are many different types of crossdressers, not just the ones some people want the rest of us to be. Crossdressing can be a large umbrella with room for everyone. Let's try to be inclusive and not alienate those who just want to crossdress.

Transvestite in Latin means cross-dresser! Since I don't speka da Latin and I only speka da Enguish I usea the word crossdresser.

I saw a shirt the other day that said "We are the same"
    Last edited by Stacy L; 05-29-2018 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Added the shirt thingee
    I spend a lot of time in the closet, because that's where my clothes are.

I am with Tracey on this one. I have always considered myself to be a crossdresser not a transvestite as I make no attempt to pass as a woman. I have a full beard, am going bald and very, very rarely use make-up so as far as others would see me is as a MIAD.

But it's just a label and do we really wan't to concern ourselves with trying to fit into one box or another? The important thing here is that you are happy with your life style and you can call yourself whatever you like.
    Sasha

Banned Read only
    Sasha,
    If you read other threads on this topic you will see there is no difference in the term, they mean the same thing .

Stacy ,
    I was blessed with a classic education so I was force fed Latin . Lets face it we use "Trans " in many subjects in the English language , all it means is to cross . In the US you have TransAm, did have TWA , then you have transistor, translater the list goes on .

Vestite is just clothes, again I wear a vest when it's cold , I believe a waistcoat in the US is called a vest , also the vestible is somewhere to disrobe again that list goes on .

When we put the two together it lights a spark on many on the forum and they get all heated about being one but not the other . I do wish they would put a large sticky at the top of the page telling everyone it is the same thing and be done with all this !
    Last edited by Teresa; 05-29-2018 at 11:17 AM.

Woo Hoo! A two-fer! I'm both!

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    In MY readings, a TRANSVESTITE is a crossdresser who is NOT a homosexual. Or more exactly, not for reasons connected to homosexuality, as in the same reasons for heterosexual CD, As Clothing fetishes, escapism and, Taboo tripping, for example. Indeed, it makes sense to differentiate between CD in Hetero vs Homosexuality. It reduces confusion and simplifies analysis. As some factors need not be considered in Heterosexual CD.

Crossdressing has absolutely nothing to do with trying to pass as a woman. There is no requirement to wear makeup and / or other accessories or to comport oneself in a feminine manner.

Everyone is free to find the path that works best. A man who only crossdresses in panties is still a crossdresser.
    Seems a bit harsh but it's the truth. Maybe it would be better to say that trying to pass as a woman usually involves crossdressing? Is just wearing makeup and growing one's hair long crossdressing? nope, it doesn't involve clothes.

Crossdressing is simply wearing clothes of the opposite sex. I consider "trying to pass as a woman" as just one aspect of crossdressing. Underdressing with bra and panties is another. How about just wearing women's pants? Technically yes.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Hi Julie,
    From my understanding they are both the same Wearing women's clothes under their male clothe is considered under dressing.
    Take care,
    Brenda

You have every right to misinterpret my writing.

"Crossdressing has absolutely nothing to do with trying to pass as a woman." ...your words.

One pretty much can't "try to pass as a woman" without crossdressing. Your statement is patently incorrect.

I'd refer to myself as a Transvestite. I just like the sound of it. It's more exotic. It rolls off the tongue better than Crossdresser, and they both mean the same thing anyway *Shrug*.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    Your statement is patently incorrect.
    Aunt Kelly,
    Would you please site where you found the definition of crossdressing required people to pass as a woman, or at least make an attempt. I can't find it.

If one does exist, we could end up with a lot less members.
    Last edited by Tracy Irving; 05-29-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Added ending

Like so many things, from the answers posted here it seems clear that the definition depends upon the perception of each party, The factors seem to include all facets of their geographic, social and educational background, with a dash of "age" thrown in. I still have not heard one specific term that I think perfectly describes all of the aspects that make up my "Terri" persona -- so, until there is one, I may accept and answer to any of them, depending upon my mood.
    I am what I am and also what I am not!

I just like wearing comfortable clothes...

My interpretation (and Wikipedia), is that both terms are the exact same thing. The act of passing is irrelevant to both terms, as cross dressing can range to simple underdressing to full presentation of the opposite sex.

hello,
    so we are all agreed on that one?
    luv J

Thank you super moderator GretchenJ
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Aunt Kelly,
    Would you please site where you found the definition of crossdressing required people to pass as a woman, or at least make an attempt. I can't find it.
    First, please show me where I have asserted as much.
    I'll save you some time. I didn't.

On the other hand, your assertion that crossdressing "has nothing to do with trying to pass..." has nothing to do with definition and is still demonstrably false.

In late March, I met a few people, three women around 45-50 and a few guys, one of them a former successful business guy at age 74. All are friends with each other and they meet regulary. I was at this bar for the first time (in Holland - I live in Germany). One of the ladies came up to my table and asked me to join them because I was sitting by myself, all dressed up as Doreen.

I said thank you and of course I'ld like to join in. Naturally, the subject of the talk changed towards me and my dressing. I explained who I am and the talk developped into me explaining the diffenrences of 'crossdresser' vs 'transvestite' and 'Drag Queens' and 'Transsexuals'.

While trying to explain why I liked the term CD better than transvestite or drag queen, i got into a fight with a woman. It turned out that she was lesbian and she thought that I 'labeled' US in different boxes, which I didn't do. I just tried to explain the differences.

However, after two housrs that lady left and no one understood the issue she had.

Aspiring Member
    At the end of the day, I'm just a person who transvests because I'm a crossdresser, and crossdresses because I'm a transvestite. Regardless of all of that, the great thing about it. whatever it is, is that it means that I have the keys to a pretty full, shiny, lacy, frilly and very feminine dressing up box.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Dont mean to offend,and not aimed at anyone in particular but this is the most ridiculous discussion,a complete waste of time.I use either term without worrying what anyone thinks is the wrong one,It matters not a jot
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson