I have been surprised by the snuggles. For the most part, I can go where I want and people either don't notice or they are polite enough to not stare.

My worst experience came from my group therapist. We agreed that I could come as Christina if I told the group ahead of time and they were all cool with it, which kind of irked me. If I were some weird ethnicity and wanted to come in my native clothes, she wouldn't have made such a requirement.

So, when another counselor ran the group, I came out. Everyone was fine. The next time, I came in the door, my therapist looked at me and sternly said she wanted to talk to me in her office. The other members were standing in the waiting room not twenty feet away, waiting.

She chewed me out with the door open, saying that I didn't get her permission and how it was going to take weeks to prepare the group and on and on. I was extremely embarrassed as everyone could hear. I offered to change in the parking lot and she told me to do so.

So, I had to walk out in front of the group, who were embarrassed for me. I changed in a busy parking lot and took off my makeup. I was on the verge of tears. I didn't want to go back in, but did.

The group members felt bad for me and defended me during the session. The incident was extremely detrimental to my self esteem and feeling of being accepted. We talked later and cleared the air. She had never dealt with a transgender. I left the group after 3 more sessions. I just couldn't get over the vicious anger she displayed. She said she had no issues with me, but I didn't believe her.