Thread: First Time Running In A Skirt

First Time Running In A Skirt

Last night I went to bed in just a skirt and woke up really early and decided to go for a run. I went to a park near my house and ran on trails in the dark with my flashlight, the skirt, a mens running shirt, socks and trail sneakers. The skirt is plaid (red and black) with pleats and from fair away it could pass for a kilt. But up close you would notice the two ribbon accents in the front (and I think the pleats seem more feminine that a standard pleated kilt). It was about 40 F with maybe 15% ice and snow, 15% mud (walked through the puddles to keep the skirt clean), and lots of hills. It felt great. I was self conscious at the road crossings but no cars went by when I was on the road. The skirt is a little loose on me so in the middle of my run I had to double over the waistband to get it to stay on better. Near the end of my run when the light started to break, I say an old man walking. I tried to be extra loud with my footsteps so he wouldn't be as startled but it wasn't until I was near him I had to say "Hi, on your left" which did startle him. As I was running past him he sarcastically said "That's a nice outfit for today" and I sheepishly replied "Thanks". Getting back to car, it was easy to change into shorts (put them on under the skirt and then pull the skirt off). Ended up with 10.8 miles and over 1000 feet elevation gain.

My biggest issue with long runs is chafing in my shorts area. This was my longest run in months and only had a slight bit of chafing. So I have already been eyeing running kilts and definitely going to get one. Previously my wife already mentioned she was ok with kilts.

But most running kilts are expensive. So with my new sewing machine that I have which I have started making skirts with, I am thinking I might sew myself a running kilt (with maybe a zippered pocket for a car key). Will be cheaper and custom to me. Just concerned about my quality of my sewing to make something durable for the run and lots of washings. Need to figure out fabrics (heavy enough to hide the goods and maybe moisture wicking).

Loved you post. Brought back memories of my running day. My knees will no longer let me run and I don't think my heart would make it out of the parking lot. LOL. Never ran in a skirt but I imagine the breeze would feel fantastic. Hope you get your running skirt. Would love to see pictures.

Don't think for a minute that that skirt is going to pass for a kilt and it's an insult to those of us who actually wear the kilts. And yes, I play the pipes as well.
    Jon

I think you are in fairyland.

Dress to blend at least, later in the morning as well when there is less danger of being accosted.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Running Kilt? Never heard of such a thing.
    Running in a skirt I have to ask why? Are you trying to get a response out of people?

I'm confused about the 'sleeping in a skirt' bit.

And I have never seen a GG go running in a skirt either. And I mean running/jogging running, before all the snarkettes inundate me with "I've seen plenty of women run in skirts".
    Before you can love another, you must first like yourself

I Aim To Misbehave

Labels belong on BOXES, not PEOPLE!

Skirt Sports is a company founded by women runners and they make a full line of running skirts, skorts, leggings, and sports bras

Breathes under water prettytoes's Avatar
    I wear running skirts/skorts when I'm doing my workouts every day. I wear capris when I ride my bike (once the weather breaks). I keep the skirts for indoor workouts....I love the way they feel against my legs when I move.
    Life's too short to not be enjoyed! Live each day to the fullest!

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I have a few Utilikilts, but have never heard of "running kilts".

I've thought about getting a running skirt, just to feel how it is in running.
    However, I have no issues with my running shorts.
    I'm not particular on blending skirts with guy-wear in public.
    And I'm not about to go running in a wig and makeup, unless of course my life depended on it.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

You could look into athletic skirts that tennis players use, they come with compression shorts under them

Isn't it uncomfortable to go to bed in a skirt. Seems like a lot of heavy material around your body.

There is an entire range of female exercise gear to choose from. Why not just buy some of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney View Post
    Loved you post. Brought back memories of my running day. My knees will no longer let me run and I don't think my heart would make it out of the parking lot. LOL. Never ran in a skirt but I imagine the breeze would feel fantastic. Hope you get your running skirt. Would love to see pictures.
    Thanks for the support!

Quote Originally Posted by Joni T View Post
    Don't think for a minute that that skirt is going to pass for a kilt and it's an insult to those of us who actually wear the kilts. And yes, I play the pipes as well.
    Jon
    Sorry, it probably doesn't pass as a kilt. I am still leaving my run labelled as kilt on strava though.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    I think you are in fairyland.

Dress to blend at least, later in the morning as well when there is less danger of being accosted.
    Blend in? Like a camouflage skirt to blend in with the foliage? Or female shirt and sneakers? Because when the weather gets warmer my runs are always shirtless. And sometimes barefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Running Kilt? Never heard of such a thing.
    Running in a skirt I have to ask why? Are you trying to get a response out of people?
    Not looking a response. The biggest issue is comfort. I hate fabric between my legs. Even if I wear a skirt or kilt with underwear, that is one less layer between my legs. And I love wearing skirts, so why can't I do that while running? Are you trying to get a response out of me?

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie_Lynn View Post
    I'm confused about the 'sleeping in a skirt' bit.

And I have never seen a GG go running in a skirt either. And I mean running/jogging running, before all the snarkettes inundate me with "I've seen plenty of women run in skirts".
    I like to sleep in a skirt and my wife is ok with it. Maybe one day I will get a slip again I wouldn't mind a chemise either but I think my wife would prefer a slip over a chemise.

When at group runs in warm weather, anywhere from 10% to 40% of the women are wearing running skirts. Note that these skirts are typically short similar to many women's running shorts, and usually have built in shorts or panties for coverage. I would be looking for something a little longer and not as thin.

Quote Originally Posted by bridget thronton View Post
    Skirt Sports is a company founded by women runners and they make a full line of running skirts, skorts, leggings, and sports bras
    You can running skirts from lots of manufacturers and a couple companies make sport/running kilts.

Quote Originally Posted by prettytoes View Post
    I wear running skirts/skorts when I'm doing my workouts every day. I wear capris when I ride my bike (once the weather breaks). I keep the skirts for indoor workouts....I love the way they feel against my legs when I move.
    At least someone gets this

Quote Originally Posted by Alice_2014_B View Post
    I have a few Utilikilts, but have never heard of "running kilts".

I've thought about getting a running skirt, just to feel how it is in running.
    However, I have no issues with my running shorts.
    I'm not particular on blending skirts with guy-wear in public.
    And I'm not about to go running in a wig and makeup, unless of course my life depended on it.
    Utilikilts makes sport kilts too. If I buy one their Damn Near Kilt 'Em Men's Sport Utility Kilt is at the top of the list.

I definitely don't see a need for a wig, makeup, boobs and definitely not heels. I am trying to minimize chafing, not add things to chafe.

Quote Originally Posted by EveHighHeels View Post
    You could look into athletic skirts that tennis players use, they come with compression shorts under them
    I wouldn't mind this option but think my wife will only prefer the kilt option.

Quote Originally Posted by CONSUELO View Post
    Isn't it uncomfortable to go to bed in a skirt. Seems like a lot of heavy material around your body.

There is an entire range of female exercise gear to choose from. Why not just buy some of that?
    Story time: When I was real young my house burned down in the middle of the night and we built a new house next door to it. After that I had frequent nightmares about our house being on fire. So I could be ready in case a fire in the middle of the night, I always wore shirt and pants to bed. It wasn't until after college that my wife got me to start wearing a little less to bed. To this day I still quite often wear normal clothes including hoodies or shorts to bed (depends on how hot or cold I am more than anything). So long story short: too much fabric is not an issue for me. The first few times I wore a skirt to bed about a year ago it was a denim midi length one. Like I stated above, maybe a slip or chemise some day.

Other female exercise clothes don't bother me but my wife only seems ok with the running kilt. Running in the skirt this time was just a test to make sure I liked a skirt/kilt type before actually getting something worth running in. I have a pair of black and orange short shorts for running but when I was buying them I really thought about getting a pair of women's purple shorts but my wife didn't approve (this was before I told her about my dressing).

I’ve only run in a skirt once. And it was really early in the morning in the dark. It was a skirt sports skirt that was actually wonderful to run in. I usually wear split shorts that are really light weight and felt the skirt was just as nice to run in.

When I first saw the title I thought it meant something entirely different. I was going to answer that I never had to run one in, they have been ok from the off.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Neither men or women run in skirts or kilts in the US. Maybe in Scotland? I think u should simply not worry about who notices. Your, "Don't like the chafing in shorts", covers it quite well!

But, if i u want a REAL challenge, Asew? Try running in hi heels! I think jogging a city block is equal to a mile in tennies!
    I hope I never have to do that again!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Neither men or women run in skirts or kilts in the US. Maybe in Scotland?
    Nope we definately don't run in kilts,don't see many kilts these days in general anyway,but sure as fate in our climate we'd end up with a chill in the unmentionables if we tried it,in fact personally I've made a solemn vow NEVER to run in any attire lol
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Lululemon makes a nice running skirt with compression shorts underneath them.

Pretty in Pink

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post
    Neither men or women run in skirts or kilts in the US.
    Have you been to a running race lately? Many of the women are wearing running skirts. Nike, Champion, Tek Gear, New Balance, Adidas, Under Armor, Athleta, etc. all make running skirts/skorts. The flouncy nylon feels great against smooth legs every time you move. Keeps you cool and dry. Very comfortable. Lots of pretty colors and patterns available. I have a drawer full of them...sometimes it's hard deciding which one to wear. Try one, you may like it!
    Last edited by Pat; 04-01-2018 at 11:56 AM. Reason: fixed quote tag

I have run in skirts before and own several skirts. I bought them from runningskirts.com. One has compression shorts and two have briefs attached. Both are comfortable.

For a while this blogger kept up with it
    http://www.blog.runnj.org/2013/06/28...-man-in-skirt/

I've tried it and I find the chafing is too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Race1999 View Post
    Lululemon makes a nice running skirt with compression shorts underneath them.
    I absolutely love Lululemon, and I think you're talking about the Pace Rival Skirt. I don't have that item; perhaps one day.

Reality Check
    If running in a skirt floats your boat, fine, run in a skirt. You're talking about running trails in the dark so remember, there's a chance you might fall and hurt yourself and you might need help. Getting carried to the hospital in an ambulance would be enough to keep me from running in the dark in a skirt but that's me.
    Krisi

s-l500.jpg

My newest addition to my running skirt collection. It makes the treadmill so much more fun! This one is not my normal bright, neon colors, but it just looked very sexy and appealing to me...I had to order it!