Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who here Beats there face?

Ok, so now this group has a useless slang term that further diminishes the strength of the English language's ability to precisely explain things. But Linda, you still have not explained why you chose to capitalize the word "Beat". Please do so as I, and I presume others here, are still somewhat confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be all the woman that you can be!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    . . . and now, On With The Show!

Somebody has been watching Rupaul's Drag Race I think.

Linda, I'm glad you returned to define your term, but still unexplained is why it is capitalized. Use of a term not known to most of us really brought out the word police.
    To the topic: as defined, yes I do - or did. While it was still available, I loved Max Factor Pancake makeup. Using a wet makeup sponge, I worked up some makeup on the sponge and dabbed it on my face, in layers until achieving the desired look. Why the heavy makeup? Beats me - haha. No really, I need it and I like it.
    I liked Panstick, too. Now, liquid works OK for me. Getting older makes it harder to get the look I liked when younger. Oh well.

Drag queen terms? Why didn't you just ask if there were any queens on this forum? Short and simple. If you want to be cliquish go back to high school.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Marina: “Baking” is a term for a makeup technique in which you allow your foundation and concealer to sit on your face for a while so the heat from your skin can smooth and even out the finish.

Linda: if the purpose of slang is to be a secret language for the cool kids, then Google is the most uncool kid ever.
    Last edited by Micki_Finn; 04-03-2018 at 09:58 AM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Well Linda you not being out of high school all that long cliques might still seem cool to you but you will grow out of that phase.
    You will be surprised at the change in your attitudes and what you feel is important by the time you get to 28.

Silver Member
    Linda,

I think that technique and knowledge of various makeup techniques here is quite varied. I was pretty sure I knew what you were talking about, and appreciate the further explaination. And yes I typically use stippling, especially with setting powder. The use of the term catfish is a bit off color here, and can be taken the wrong way, as would be the term trap.

I think that perhaps you are trying to flush out if certain subcultures within the great big world of TV/TS/TG/CD/drag are well represented here. I think you will find a few that get the whole Paris is Burning thing here, but not a lot. I have found what some terms pass for playful or constructive competition in some subcultures, can appear as mean spirited or arrogant to others. It's partially a matter of perspective.

Around here, there is such a huge diversity, it would be easier to not get too caught up in slang terms. Good luck sweetie!
    Last edited by Meghan4now; 04-03-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Banned Spammer
    I agree Meghan. The members here are from all ends of the spectrum more so than any other CD site I have been on over the years.
    Its best to just come out and say what you mean rather than use slang terms that all may not be aware of.
    If you are searching for people you connect with then browse the meet up section.
    Last night I asked a drag performer friend of mine what beating your face meant and she laughed and said had I been watching RuPal's drag race?
    I told her I have never watched it just clips on you tube, just way too catty for me.
    She did say it was a layering make up term that had been used for 20 years or so.

Banned Read only
    Linda,
    Ok some of us didn't get it, if you think because we are more mature ( OK getting old !) it goes over our heads, don't forget we've all been your age and played these games .
    I don't care what terms you give for putting on makeup but I'm not a drag queen so I apply it for everyday now , the lesson I'm having to learn is how little to apply for everday .

Quote Originally Posted by Lindabrown View Post
    cd clique
    dq clique
    ts clique
    Lol. These are not “cliques” these are demographic groups. I can’t wait for the next census when I get to tell them I’m in the “Asian clique”

Banned Spammer
    Cliques are for stuck up people that think they are all that and a bag of chips.
    I dare you to figure that one out.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    " It's a question that will help me understand who is here and what you know."

Some cans are best left un-opened.

You will find a very large and diverse group here, including a few who could teach makeup from fishy to busted. So if you are looking to serve tea on your paint, be careful on how you open your library.

(I do so love watching Ru Paul!"
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

I know what it means. If this is a litmus test for who can hang with the cool kids, count me out.

Stipling is an artist technique mostly used with pen and ink. It seems if one used that technique on their face it would create freckles!
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Silver Member
    Good one Kelly. I, for one, am not into throwing shade, or rocks. I'm old enough to worry about throwing out my back!

Ressie, that certainly is the original source of the term, but it has evolved. Ironically(?) The term is also used to describe a mudding technique for putting on a textured finish on dry wall or plastering. It builds up the coat and is often used on ceilings to hide shoddy seams. Oh so manly!

In makeup, it helps to avoid smearing or loosing coverage. It can be very useful in effective beard coverage. But be careful not to go too heavy, or you can get orange peeling.

Linda dear, come on back an join the party!
    Last edited by Meghan4now; 04-04-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Banned Read only

Red face There is a girl mask Clique,demographics is for Statistics

The girl mask clique is all that and a bag of chips.

This is a CD clique that's Members Only but there are some TV's that are not CD's who only wear women's clothing and do not shave,wear makeup,use wigs ect.. ,

Toe may toe,toe mot toe,tomato
    Who cares

A major magazine talks about Beating your face below

Stipple on makeup in layers,pat on makeup layers

Allure fashion magazine
    https://www.allure.com/story/beat-face-meaning

Urban /hipster English,drag queen English, I fabulous English

Quote Originally Posted by Tracii G View Post
    Cliques are for stuck up people that think they are all that and a bag of chips.
    I dare you to figure that one out.
    So why are you in this CD Clique?

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

When that phrase gets entered in the dictionary you will know how popular it is then it will be part of the popular English language and not just with subgroups.
    Call Allure Magazine silly will you?
    It's a mainstream publication.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonda Darling View Post
    Ok, so now this group has a useless slang term that further diminishes the strength of the English language's ability to precisely explain things. But Linda, you still have not explained why you chose to capitalize the word "Beat". Please do so as I, and I presume others here, are still somewhat confused.
    Last edited by Lindabrown; 04-05-2018 at 01:07 AM.

Banned Spammer
    I'm not in a clique and never have been.

Thanks for sharing this topic Linda. There's nothing wrong with learning something
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

I describe how I apply makeup as I dab it on my face (as opposed to wipe or rub), but now dab has taken on a new meaning. Can I still use dab? Saying I Beats my face just doesn't work for me.

Silver Member
    Reminds me of another member from LA, Reinasblack.

Banned Read only
    Why you Throwing Shade about my presumed age?
    Spread love,it's the LA way!

Throwing Shade

https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...shade&amp=true
    Last edited by Lindabrown; 04-05-2018 at 05:39 PM.

Banned Spammer
    Very observant Meghan.

Banned Read only
    Oh! Please. ....
    I am not a Shade Tree MUA.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Still dont "get" what the original post was about,but Its hardly worth getting ones knickers in a twist over it like some have
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    To answer the OP question . Sometimes, although i also like to do my own.

Linda when you said:

"It's a question that will help me understand who is here and what you know."

Maybe if you would elaborate on what you looking to understand about members here and what is important about what others know ?

When you joined you did not really say what brought you to the forum or much about yourself.

Sometimes people join the forum and stick around , other times people stir the pot until they are asked to "Sashay Away". It's always nice when new members stick around.

Within the GLTB ( and many more letters ) the lingo meaning of words and terms are very fluid and what is 'fly' now in 15 years will probably be of interest to verbal archaeologists.

Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57