Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it the look...or the feel?

Is it the look...or the feel?

I'm retired, so I need to occasionally find complex issues to keep my mind active. Recently I decided to spend some time on the following question: Is it the look or the feel of my feminine attire that keeps me intrigued with my little hobby? Of course, the simple answer is that it's both, but as I said, I need to make it more complicated. If this all sounds too anal for you, I suggest you stop reading now and move on to something you find more worth your time.

For those who hang around, here are my thoughts:

To me it varies by component of the wardrobe.

Stockings: I only wear old-fashioned, 100% nylon stockings with a garter belt. I love the feel, especially when I cross my legs and they make that little scrunchy sound that only real nylons make; but I also love the look of bright light reflecting off my glossy legs, and the glimpse of stocking tops when my dress rides up. So for stockings, it's Look:Feel = 50:50.

Panties: I only wear nylon panties, and it's all about the feel. Look:Feel = 0:100.

Bras: I wear mostly long-line bras, and I love the feel of how they caress my torso, and the pressure of the straps on my shoulders; but without them, I have no girlish figure, so the look definitely comes into play. I'd say it's Look:Feel = 40:60.

Dresses: The dress is what completes my image, so it's definitely about the look; but I also enjoy the feel of the skirt rustling against my legs. I'll go Look:Feel = 90:10.

Makeup/Wigs/Jewelry: Obviously the look dominates, but I do like the feel of hair nestling on my shoulders, and for some reason, the feel of clip-on earrings pulling on my ear lobes. I'll go Look:Feel = 85:15 (how's that for splitting hairs?)

Shoes: Definitely about the look. I wear mainly glittery, mid-heel, strappy sandals, which I find very comfortable. Higher heels make my legs look better, but I pay the price for wearing them in the form of sore calves. Look:Feel = 100:00

Well, that's enough analysis. I'm going to get all dolled up now and test my hypotheses.

Both

I like the looks and styles, but I love the feel!

Sami
    My new blog: The Crossdresser Report
    https://crossdresserreport.com/

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Both, but more of the look I guess, I can be vain at times, LOL.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

Hi Mystery Woman,
    Its a valid question and an easy way to articulate what we like most about our clothes. I see you have answered your own question as "both, usually"!

There are two for which you gave a value of zero. But- Hmmm- since you do feel heels, and see panties, they can't be zero. Perhaps heels are a negative number for you in feel?

And these two items are not measured in the same time interval- we feel all the time but see intermittently. We see panties in the drawer, and in the mirror when we put them on, and then in our mind's eye, in memory or anticipation,if we want. There are times I can't feel my underwear with any clarity, and I look to see!

I'll vote for 'both, in varying intensities and in different proportions at different times.
    We are all beautiful...!

I think overall, looks 75%, feel 25% = 100% feeling and looking good.
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Banned Read only
    MysteryWoman,
    It's a whole package that goes together to give hopefully a reasonable impression of a woman.

The feel of the underwear does wear off , after a time what you wear underneath serves a more practical purpose , depending on the outer clothes you wish to wear. I prefer stocking because I find they are more practical for a CDer, going to the bathroom etc. , also find tucking easier . The bra has to be chosen depending on the cut and exposure the dress or top offers , longline won't work under certain clothes. Shoes have to be chosen to team up with the outfit , heels are great but can only be worn in certain circumstances .

I assume you dress at home to satisfy what you call your hobby , it sounds like it's very sexually orientated , going out is a different ball game , OK for a social meeting going OTT or maybe tarty/sexy is aceptable but not the thing for doing the supermarket shopping .

I know what you're suggesting and I guess most of us have been there and there's no harm in it , I enjoy those elements sometimes but it's when you put it all together and hope it all stays together when you step outside the front door .

Definitely both.

I don't wear panties, but instead, layer half slips. This is a 90:10 feel/look, because I like for them to show, occasionally, but slips are what first got me into crossdressing.

Bra is 50:50. I love the look, but it's the feel of being filled out, and I love to caress the cups through my blouse or dress.

Skirt/blouse or dress, again, 50:50. I shop by both look and feel. I want satin or silk, preferably light colors, but beyond the feel, I love to look in the mirror to see how feminine clothes look on me.

I like the way your analysis is going. Most often, I just dress for convenience, so it is mostly feel. But, sometimes, it’s all the way, so it’s about look, as in how close I can get to passing, or at least look well put together.
    You are you. You are beautiful. Labels are worthless.

I think i saw this thread a while back, But. I also would like to interject several other items. Color, Designs, and Style are things that affect me, and while I guess they are part of the "look" they are real triggers in my book. But the combination of look and feel, when combined really do the trick. It's hard to explain the overall effect on a CD'r when all the variables reach 9 (Feels like WOW).
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovethatdress/

It is the look that makes me feel

On my "what I like about crossdressing" pie chart, the tactile sensations, aromas, sounds, and even the discomforts (wig, shapewear, high heels, etc.) amount to a sliver, maybe 5%. The look, seeing myself in the mirror, is the other 95%.

I want clothes that look good on me (or so i think ) and if they happen to be available in nice soft silky materials then that's a huge bonus.
    "The only way is onward. There is no turning back."

Aspiring Member dana digs sweaters's Avatar
    It's the feel of the look

Both - I find dresses very comfortable to wear and I love the look oh heels

It is both for me.
    Part Time Girl

I think it is both.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    On my "what I like about crossdressing" pie chart, the tactile sensations, aromas, sounds, and even the discomforts (wig, shapewear, high heels, etc.) amount to a sliver, maybe 5%. The look, seeing myself in the mirror, is the other 95%.
    Same with me, the look is all important, anything that 'feels' good is just a bonus.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

For me it is mainly feel. I can dress and only look in the mirror a few times

Surprised many of you are saying heels are mainly for looks. For me heels are only like 30% looks. Having my foot in a high heel position just makes me feel so feminine (so sometimes when barefoot in a skirt I will walk daintily on my tippy toes).

For me it's absolutely the look. The female form can be summarised in so many complementary ways to elevate the appeal of femininity. Each swell, curve, and line can make such an arresting figure. I love it!!

Silver Member
    Except for full makeup and wig ('cause I'm almost always at home), I fully dress every morning. In times past, feel was very important.... not so much now, maybe 10%. Looks at 90%.

It's both, and more. I add scent to the package, with some perfume (often something one of my previous girlfriends wore). Though it's becoming harder and harder to find old Avon 'Occur' since it's been out of production for so long. That memory dates back to 1975 for me, but oh, what memories they are!
    I need both the visual and tactile feedback telling me that I'm female.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

It's definitely both for me too, and sometimes the ratios are different. I love the looks of a well fitted skirt, dress, skirt suit, etc., but I also love the feel of the nylon lining on my legs, especially with stockings. I love the looks of my heels, and the feel...until my toes feel like someone has them in vise grip plyers and is trying to twist them off. Then I can't feel pretty or look pretty as I hobble miserably. But when I first put them on ��

For me it's predominantly look. My goal is to present, to the best of my ability, a female image. While I do enjoy many aspects of how things feel I really enjoy looking like, and being perceived as, female. If I had to put numbers to it I would say 80% look and 20% feel.

Unless I'm going out, it's the feel and partly the looks, at least from the waist down. If I'm not going out and doing the whole makeup and wig thing, less is best. Around the house , it's mid heel sandals with an ankle strap, thong and a short dress about mid thigh. That's it. The feel of being shaved head to toe, and wearing only a short smooth, rayon or polyester dress, and perfume is mind blowing. I don't get much done anymore, because I can't stand to put on my guy clothes to go outside and do some yardwork.