Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Careers for Cross Dressers

Careers for Cross Dressers

Hi, all. As our last child will graduate this May, I've been pondering what to do with the rest of my life. I'm free to move anywhere in the country and set up shop in any way I want to. With an engineering degree, I've been in manufacturing, done field work, and been a road warrior in sales. Currently I'm working a little retail.

What are some of your ideas, dreams, and realistic jobs for cross dressers? Seems like a job in fashion, clothing manufacturing, or even Dress Barn would be perfect, but is it? I would appreciate your input on where and what to do with the hope of occasionally dressing on the job... or not.

BTW, I know in today's efforting to be politically correct, the PC answer is, "just do what you want." While I love that concept, I'm not that brave. Thanks for your help.

Banned Read only
    I would think that the engineering field would be a good fit. I personally know more CD/TG's that are an engineer of some sort than any other field.

All though working in a fashion, makeup, or lingerie store sounds like fun, I don't think the majority of GG customers would be comfortable with you unless you are very convincing looking and sounding.
    Last edited by Robertacd; 04-09-2018 at 04:55 PM.

Reality Check
    I think i would be foolish to settle for a sales job at Dress Barn if you have a degree in engineering and could get a job in that field. Would you turn down $100K for $30K?

Why not take the big money and dress in your spare time?
    Krisi

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Do something you love and never work another day in your life.
    I'm retired from the freight transportation industry that I was in for over 40 years.
    My passion is building and repairing stringed musical instruments.
    I work when I choose to
    I am also a guitar tech and roadie for a rock band so its all what I love to do and it doesn't feel like a job.
    If the band goes out on tour its like a mini vacation getting to see new places.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 04-09-2018 at 04:25 PM.

Banned Read only
    Kathleen,
    First question, do you feel you have GD to deal with the need to dress full time . Maybe come to terms with dealing with that issue before dealing with dressing during your worktime .
    I have a plan to run my own art group, I have been married for 43 years now I'm recently separated so I have to come to terms with what full time dressing means before I can move on to comfortably meet people in that context dressed . Is it lack of bravery or deciding if that's what you really want ? How much have you been out and met the general public dressed and if so how comfortable did you feel ? It takes time , doing everday is harder than dressing to the nines .

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I am assuming you are married as you said our child.
    How does your wife like the idea or have you told her?
    Occasionally dressing on the job have you actually thought that thru?
    Have you actually dressed enfemme in public enough to be comfortable with people knowing you are a man in womens clothes?
    Last edited by Tracii G; 04-09-2018 at 04:53 PM.

I do software engineering from home. It is perfect because I can dress all day. All I need is an internet connection, so I can do it anywhere we move.

Software engineering may not be your niche, but perhaps there is something in your experience that qualifies you to work from home.

You can always do something like that for your "day job", and then work at a place like Dress Barn on a part-time basis to see how you like it.

Sami
    My new blog: The Crossdresser Report
    https://crossdresserreport.com/

One big problem is looking acceptable to others and then interacting with people in the outside world.

Once you overcome those problems yu can look for a career.

You are off to a good start working from home as an engineer.

Just dress part time to fit in.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Problem at my work, female engineers have the same uniform as the males, so not much point for me.
    If you want to wear skirts and dresses, office or retail work is probably best solution
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

Banned Read only
    Engineers wear uniforms? Does the company supply everyone with uniforms?

At my company, engineers wear "business casual".

I have spent a great deal of time looking at what others do in the workplace and how they need to interact with others and believe that this is far more complex than fitting a career with or to dressing. I wish it could be easier for us!

I don't have paid employment but make gravy in a soup kitchen and initially wanted to have Stacy do all the work there, She's good like that! BUT, I decided not to present in anyway other than a pretty guy in drab. My reason for only dressing in full drab whilst working there is that people I serve are already not judging me! and I also don't want to mess with any vulnerable minds.

I was actually going to start up as a professional buyer at auction. I already buy regularly not for profit and my 50/50 mode comes with its benefits, removing my intimidating sunglasses to reveal my intimidating eyeliner!

Wish I had a great suggestion!
    Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

I've never been accused of being politically correct so to me the PC thing has no binding on me. I'm thinking though you should look into the job that you'd like to spend the rest of your life doing. There's no perfect job and every job has its ups and downs. It's how we take those ups and downs that define who we are inside. I get the feeling from your statement that you might be thinking of retiring and looking for something on the side that will allow you to dress and enjoy your life. This may be incorrect but if it isn't you might want to just keep doing what your doing if you can work from home in retail and then you can dress all you want. I also think you will have to make a decision not any one else on your job although several have suggested some it is ultimately left up to you to decide. Tracii said find what you love and you'll basically enjoy working because you won't think of it as a job.

Silver Member
    I used to do hair in drab (before I had the slightest handle on being a crossdresser), still have my license, and it often times was "A kid in a candy store with no money". Now that I have a better understanding of my needs/wants I might give it another try. If I did I think I would do it with an andro presentation but for now the hours for that type of career conflict too much with the one that pays the bills. If I do give it another try I think doing makeup would be an option, too.

Banned Read only

Lightbulb High paying jobs with little to know public contact

Network engineer, photoshop artist, technical manager,software programmer/engineer like Java, C++,Visual Basic,Swift,Assembly language,....

All these jobs have a six figure $$$$$$$ potential.you can also work from home.

The LGBTQ center in West Hollywood Calif. has her high paying jobs for people who crossdress.
    Last edited by Lindabrown; 04-12-2018 at 04:41 PM.

I am in the Audio Visual industry right now (am tired of it)

I am working on my real estate license. It will be a nice change of pace.

In Tina mode I would love to be a flight attendant...

I like the career I 'm in the this time in me life it's called retirement.
    Angie

I’ve always wanted a job that embraces this CD side of me without judgement. This foreman job of mine is not very open to this sadly
    the boy became the girl>>>> frances

Like Annie, I am now retired, but still do the occasional job. Don't think that you could even remotely consider doing it in a skirt or dress, although I do wear my female to shirts and old sweaters. The job,,, I am currently building a 40 metre stretch of dry stone walling. The UK girls will know what I mean

Gold Member
    Of course TG span about every job from minimum wage to seven figures.
    My advice is, if you are going to be working for someone else, might want to "come out" asap so there isn't some weird transition later.

Just remember with about any job, it might be a fun hobby but once something becomes a job and you are doing things on someone else's terms, the fun is typically gone. Unless you can make your own schedule, be your own boss, etc.
    It takes a true Erin to be a pain in the assatar.

Why not open a special store for crossdressers?
    In Germany, there is a very successful store in Nurenberg, called 'Special Trade'

Link: https://www.special-trade.eu

tiptoeing thru the tulips ellbee's Avatar
    I'm a fan of a certain small-ish company that's mainly known for their awesome made-to-order, "custom-printed" work-out leggings for women.

I found it a bit interesting that somebody with a male name left a few reviews for certain pairs that he bought for himself ("verified buyer"). It wasn't a particularly common first-name, but it wasn't exactly very rare, either.

Anyway, fast-forward a bit, and I had a question about something. I email the customer service there, and the person who replied to me had, you guessed it -- the same first-name as the male reviewer!

Was it him? No idea, but I suppose a decent chance that it was.

Okay, so if it *is* him, then apparently he wears these women's leggings.

Which got me thinking... Does he perhaps wear these things to work?

Small-ish company that makes fun, unique clothing for (typically) GG's. I'd imagine that it's not exactly a stuffy, conservative place to work, ya know? Probably more women than men working there... And I wouldn't doubt that a bunch of the GG's there wear these leggings like every day (especially with their employee discount, heh).

Does this male employee join them?

And if it were *you* who worked there, would you wear 'em?

I think I probably would. I mean, why the heck not??

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarasometimes View Post
    I used to do hair in drab (before I had the slightest handle on being a crossdresser), still have my license, and it often times was "A kid in a candy store with no money". Now that I have a better understanding of my needs/wants I might give it another try. If I did I think I would do it with an andro presentation but for now the hours for that type of career conflict too much with the one that pays the bills. If I do give it another try I think doing makeup would be an option, too.
    How about doing a small transformation salon/boutique for MTF CD's.

P.S. they teach computer programming /web page development for free online and different universities
    Last edited by Lindabrown; 04-13-2018 at 11:13 AM.

Ellbee, Could you supply the link to the company that you are referring to...."custom-printed" work-out leggings for women. THANKS. NIKKI

Kathleen. Have you seen the whole country? If not try truck driver. You can dress most days if you want. You get paid to travel. Get a lease option job and you can pick where you want to go and when. You might need 6-12 months experience as a company driver for the latter. You can take your wife with.
    Trucking companys need drivers big-time.

Well, if you've got tons of cash laying around, move yourself to a socially CD/gay/TS friendly neighborhood, and walk around to see what kinds of jobs are available. I once spoke to a man who ran an adult toy/attire/video shop, and he loved his work. He made all his customers feel welcome by standing up and demonstrating the uses of his products whenever he was in the store, reminding us that everyone has sex and everyone likes to have fun. As long as income isn't a priority, do something fun. Oh, be a projectionist at a local theater. Nobody cares how they dress!
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.