Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Careers for Cross Dressers

I work at a garden center and do landscape designs and consultations on the side. My job is not the best work for CDs. I work for someone else. Always sweaty, Dirty fingernails, toenails and feet look gross unless you scrape them across a skateboard occasionally and soak them in epsom salts regularly. Also as a gardener, I tend to keep a male physique upstairs and down. Luckily I'm thin and naturally androgynous looking and keep my hair really really long. I dont recommend working for someone else in the green industry. Most business owners and employees in gardening/landscape/nursery industry are homophobic, CD and trans unfriendly. On top of that most are ego-driven meat heads, or they are women who disrespect you if you don't have a beard and aren't constantly filthy and overworked.

Quote Originally Posted by girlyman1977 View Post
    I am in the Audio Visual industry right now (am tired of it)

I am working on my real estate license. It will be a nice change of pace.

In Tina mode I would love to be a flight attendant...
    Well, I live in Brazil, and we are in a economy crisis here, since 2016. I have a real state license and this is what is keeping me with some income. I am an electric engineer but I hated my last job, due to bad management (my last boss left the country because of misappropriation of money, hard stuff). The real state market is also down due to political instability, so I was making some research to open an online women shoes store. That would be a dream.

Cheers,

Patricia

Banned Read only
    I have been retired for a full ten years. I have no desire to return to work. I am assuming your retired (59) or approaching it. If you made your nest egg, then don't seek full time employment with deadlines and goals. I always had the fantasy of being a waitress at an evening dinner theatre. Many years ago in my humble little town there was a restaurant that had drag shows on the weekend. I always thought it would have been terrific to wear a white blouse and black skirt, black hosiery and heels with all the proper undergarments, makeup and wig. Nothing more than getting drinks and short order snacks for customers during a show. I thought a cross dresser would fit in nicely. Maybe there is such a place like that for you.

Not sure what area of the country you may settle in, but I know in my neck of the woods, there are occasional transgender job fairs. You may want to Google that. While not looking for a job, I attended one a year or so back and really learned a lot.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

So Kandi.... where is your neck of the woods?

I sell bathroom remodeling out of a kiosk in the local mall, and I do quite well for myself. That's something considering this is a somewhat conservative aria. I'm not sure if I'm doing a good job passing, or if this community just doesn't care. Either way, the company knew who they were hiring up front. This is how I turned up to my first (the blue) and second interviews.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Joyce, Kandy is in I believe my growing up area Cleveland,Ohio. I just retired and moved from South,FL. to the Orlando area with my beautiful and supporting wife.

I think the dream job would be secretary/personal assistant to a really cool boss. Good luck finding that position, though. Perhaps place an ad in Craigslist, Fetlife or similar?

I think the "dressing occasionally" would be a deal-breaker with many companies who might otherwise wish to be PC and TG supportive. You would need to go all-in or not at all. Some companies, especially small ones, might be more accommodating for positions where your interaction is limited to in-house, thereby avoiding negative customer reactions. Also, how about something not mainstream, like a coffee shop or bartending in a metro lgbt district? I was once offered a week-night bartending gig at an lgbt club I frequented, but the pay would have been so paltry it wouldn't have even paid for the commute, let alone the makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by sherri View Post
    I think the "dressing occasionally" would be a deal-breaker with many companies who might otherwise wish to be PC and TG supportive. You would need to go all-in or not at all. Some companies, especially small ones, might be more accommodating for positions where your interaction is limited to in-house, thereby avoiding negative customer reactions. Also, how about something not mainstream, like a coffee shop or bartending in a metro lgbt district? I was once offered a week-night bartending gig at an lgbt club I frequented, but the pay would have been so paltry it wouldn't have even paid for the commute, let alone the makeup.
    Honestly this really depends on the company and i would say large companies are probably more accepting of anyone who might want to crossdress to work. I work for a company called Cerner, and they are pretty awesome for anyone who wants to occasionally present female. They have a zero tolerance policy for any kind of harassment from anyone and really push towards being accepting towards everyone, it is very deeply ingrained in the company. Now that being said there is a caveat: If you choose to present female that does mean presenting female, that means no facial hair for example, if you do makeup (and in my opinion you should) it has to be well done and presentable, you should either wear a good wig or have your hair styled in an appropriate style for women.

Quote Originally Posted by Joyce Swindell View Post
    So Kandi.... where is your neck of the woods?
    Sorry for the late response, Cleveland.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

i think you are on the right track. Self-employment has some important advantages. Consulting engineer should work out.
    Architect. Landscape architect. Builder. Home improvement. Uber. Mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by syome View Post
    Honestly this really depends on the company and i would say large companies are probably more accepting of anyone who might want to crossdress to work. I work for a company called Cerner, and they are pretty awesome for anyone who wants to occasionally present female.
    That's nice that your company is so accommodating, but based on what I've heard and read over the years, that's very much the exception rather than the rule. I think large corporations are more likely to have TG-supportive HR policies in place than smaller, privately owned companies, but large or small, policies are geared for the more "serious" TG who wishes to make the gender reassignment transition full-time, and they aren't interested in humoring the hobbyist or occasional dresser. While we CDers know that part-timers' sense of identity can be just as genuine and sincere as a full-timer, but it's a tough sell in the workplace. Let's hope that changes, and maybe it's beginning to, but I don't think we're far enough along to count on it.