Thread: Electrolysis...no Laser...Oh!

Electrolysis...no Laser...Oh!

I went for my electrolysis appointment and she looked at my beard and said that I have a number of darker hairs not just blonde hairs! She went into a long and elaborate explanation of electrolysis and laser! We decided to reduce costs over time to do the laser first to eliminate the number of hairs not needing electrolysis! She explained that it has to do with the color on the base area of the hair and if gray or white hairs have color below the skin they can be affected by the laser! She did a test strip on my arm and I return Tuesday for my first treatment! She will be doing side burn to side burn and both lips! There will probably be some discoloration on my face judging from the test strip! Oh, test strip was what ever measure from 30 up to 60! She said it felt like a rubber band snapped on the skin but it felt not quite as sharp and of shorter duration! She has 20+ years experience and said jokingly if it has hair on it, I have removed hair from it!
    Also, I have a bad cold and had trouble at counseling session as I got into a coughing fit, but She said, if I can not find a doctor for hormone therapy that she could recommend someone! So some positive things on Thursday!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I always wondered which was a better method to remove hair.
    I heard gray hair was the hardest to get rid of.
    Hope you get over your cold remnants soon.

Lana I have also read that gray hairs are harder to get rid of
    Hope it works for you and hope you get over your cold soon
    If you can't laugh and have fun you might as well go home.

Nice to hair how you're en transition Lana.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

I began laser beard removal three months ago. It will take care of the dark hair, but the only way to remove grey hair is electrolysis. So I think it is best to do laser first, as it is cheaper and faster, then see what grey remains. I have found that because I have almost no dark hairs remaining, I can go 16 hours with foundation makeup and no beard shadow appears at the end of the day. This makes it easy to be out all day.

Tracii-Laser is cheaper in the long term and electrolysis is cheaper in the short term! Hair has to have color even if it is below the skin line for laser to work! About 3 to 5 treatments and most hair will be gone! It all has to do with growing cycles and getting to the core of the hair! Electrolysis may be cheaper short term but takes longer and does not cover a large area all at once!
    Leann-Yes, gray and white are the hardest! Thanks, I feel much better today!
    Vanessa-LOL Yeah, I guess I am! Hormones will be next once I find a doc!
    Dorit-Yes, I can go a long time with makeup as long as I don't get my 2'o'clock shadow!
    Thanks ladies for you comments and input!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

Laser is not always permanent... but its way better if it works and if some of dark hairs grow back they can be zapped again...

I had lots of dark hair...laser did nothing for it on my face... and in fact is stimulated growth

I had laser all over my body too and im virtually hairless...

it worked great on my body....legs armpits back chest...all hairless literally...amazing...helped my arms and hands too..

but on my face..it did more harm than good...

I hope it works for you...it will definitely work short term its just wait and see in future..its a good feeling to not feel like you have hair coming in during the afternoon
    I am real

I'm in agreement with what everyone has said. I haven't had electrolysis yet, but am well down the path on laser treatments. I have had my armpits, chest, abdomen, bikini areas done (rest is waxed currently). I'm now starting laser treatments on my face so will see how that goes. The laser treatments have been amazing where I had dark hair. For instance I have zero hair in my armpits (so nice I love it), none on my chest, and in the bikini area mostly gone except a few places where I had gray hair. Being almost 60 it's part of the deal. However I feel good in that when I do go for electrolysis it will be limited to just the gray areas. For you younger gals out there, get it done early in life if you can!

Kaitlyn-Thanks for the info!
    Linda-Thanks for your response!
    Everyone note I have cancelled the laser treatments due to financial concerns and may get them at a later date! Thanks everyone for your kind responses!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

I agree with Dorit. I began laser beard removal 18 months ago and it works faily well for me. Sessions are 6 weeks apart to make sure my skin recuperates well. Also, due to the more intense rays from the sun during summer months, there are no sessions in the 3 summer months. Hope you find ways to resume treatments.

Adelaide-Thanks! I hope so!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!