Thread: Am I doing this wrong?

Am I doing this wrong?

Should I do hormones ahead of hair removal or am I doing alright? I don't know if I can afford both so I am putting the question out there to you, girls! Which first? Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Personally I started hormones first. Then started on electrolysis on my face. That is a very long and time consuming process. The hormones slowed my beard growth and turned most of it from red to blonde. Body hair has reduced drastically and also went mostly blonde. IMHO it would be best to start hormones first because hair can be shaved or hidden with makeup and hormones need years to change things. Ultimately it is up to you what you want. Hope I helped though. Best of luck!

not being a spring chicken, as a practical matter you could consider HRT as a priority over hair removal...

and just do as much hair removal as you can afford as fast you can...
    I am real

The best advice I got on this forum was to start electrolysis or laser as soon a possible because it takes a long time to do.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    The general consensus normally seems to be start hair removal yesterday, but that is not always possible/appropriate for everyone (despite IMNSHO being very good advice).

Personally, Lana, I would suggest doing whatever it takes for you in the order that feels right for you.

To misquote Tolstoy, every one with dysphoria experiences it in their own way. So do what you can to deal with the dysphoria you are experiencing and don't wait for our approval.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Shay-A big help! Thanks! I get a laser treatment on Tuesday from side burn to side burn and both lips!
    Kaitlyn-Yeah,I am kinda up there! Thinking this over and not quite sure how to proceed! I did not want to put the cart before the horse, so to speak!
    Peggie-Yeah, I was told to get rid of the hair as quickly as possible!
    Rianna-I was doing it my way but got to thinking(bad stuff that thinking!)and thought that if HT causes a slow down in hair growth wouldn't it make sense to do that first and then remove the hair?(less hair growth more hair removed at a time!) I guess I will try for the hormones etc. when I can get an appointment with my MD! I am not sure if he will go for this and may have to find someone to help out! My counselor said she could recommend someone if necessary!
    Thanks to you ladies for your help!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

Lana,
    I'm almost to begin hrt. Coming Monday endocrinologist appointment.
    I've been working on ways to hair removal more than a year ago but neither laser or electrolysis and work very good. Im lucky that my insurance covers hormones as well doctors. my next step will be laser but just for the face.
    I think hrt will help me with the dysphoria simptoms and that's something that really worries me.
    HRT 042018; Full time 032019
    Orchiectomy 062020; gender& name legal changed 102020
    Electrolysis face begins 082019, in genitals for GCS 062021
    Breast augmentation surgery 012022
    GCS 072022; BBL 022023; GCS revision 04203;END TRANSITION

Go with the hormones. Those little buggers are SO powerful even in small micro-amounts.
    You will eventually get around to frying those remaining follicles off your face. But cull the herd of hairs first by HRT.
    Besides... you will get so many other benefits for transition from the hormones and it will reduce the hair thickness and volume pre-electrolysis.
    There resides within me a Woman, and she is powerful.
    She has been my Grace and Bearing on the stormiest seas.
    I could no more deny Her than I would my own soul.

Lana, I wrote a previous post on this entitled Electrolsis is Job #1. I still believe this, especially if going full time, because of the the constant need for frequent shaves in order to "pass". Also, should you decide at some point to cease transition you will not have irrevisible changes other than a need to shave less. All that being said, you will get the best feminization by pursuing both courses of action -- Electro and HRT -- simultaneously.
    Marie

I had to go back and peek - Aug '17 you were worrying about getting your ears pierced - you're going straight up on presentation
    Nice once you lose the fear isn't it?
    Put the rock down, you live in a greenhouse.

As I had said in a previous post you had, hair removal is much easier to get started with. Having said that, I would concentrate on facial hair removal. For me shaving did not remove the shadow on my face. I have found I can get by with shaving the rest of my body.

For me, hair removal did nothing for my gender dysphoria. Hormones have been a big help in this area. Ultimately, I think you really need to do both. As for the cost of hormones, they really are not all that expensive. This is without it being covered by insurance. Now there are upfront costs to get started like therapy and Doctor's visits.

While being on hormones has had many benefits, for me I know that SRS is very essential. The hormones are only part of the solution.

Transitioning is not a cheap process, I am having to make sacrifices, but for me they are worth it.

Ultimately, you have to decide what is best for you.

I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

Take Care,
    Grace

Hi Grace,
    Thanks for your post because is very related with my current condition.

First, I used to shave everyday my whole body but sometimes some cuts, you know, without looking for I found silk'n bellaglide, hpl machine, affordable price, around $150 depending on promotions by costco I got my last one in February for $120. I replace the old one that I got on November 2016 for 150 and the new o e works better.
    So I'd been more than a year with some intermitencies of weeks applying it daily but on average once a week mainly in my legs.
    Today hair in tights is almost nothing. I could shave once a week just to keep applying the light that must be after shaving.
    I'd been removing my face hair just with tweezers.
    I know you will say outtch! But just at the beginning. I start doing my brows, then my chicks, then I went down near my yaw bone, then I start with the hair around my nose and slowly I get use to the pain and went down to fully femo e my moustache.
    Now I maintenance my face once a week while applying the hpl machine and daily remove small and very thin no colour hair of my moustache. I did the same around the mouth.
    I'm lucky that most of my beard is white so no darkness or gray there.
    Now my questions for you: I'm I see insurance that covers Drs. Therapist and Medicine too, but hiw much is the cost of it? I ask in case I run out of insurance.
    Second question: I'd been experience some insomnia and anxiety, kind of depression, I think that is my dysphoria. What is the help that you feel hormones gave you?
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 04-20-2018 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Please do not quote a major proportion of the preceding post

Vanessa-Thanks!
    Ilene-Thanks!
    Marie-Yes both at once seems to be the way!
    Rachael-Yes it is nice when the fear is gone but it can also help you slow down when going too fast!
    Grace-Thanks and best wishes on your journey!
    Vanessa-The cost is dependant on what insurance you have! I have not taken hormones yet!
    Jeri-So glad you are feeling better! I think you confused 2 posts and got them mixed together! Venessa went to Endo on Monday but Grace said the hormones helped!
    Thanks so much ladies!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!

Lana, thanks for clarify my post.
    I'm not good doing reply with quotations in my phone and something else happened that everything looks like my post but basically my question for Grace is how hormones helped in her dysphoria.
    Lately I've been really deep on it and my hope is that hormones help me to balance a bit it.
    For me it's no longer crossdressing but to be who I am.

Sorry about my stupid post. My laptop doesn't show the quote in a quote box. It looked like part of Vanessa's comments. Pardon me if I get a little too protective of y'all.

Lana, yes feeling better every day. I still have some swelling and numbness and soreness but at least I don't frighten as many people now. Mothers don't hide their children as often either.

It is a beautiful day here in H- town. Barbara Dugan and I are doing lunch and shopping today. She is recovering from surgery too.

Vanessa-Thanks for clarifying that!
    Jeri-Good to have you back!
    Thanks for your responses, ladies!
    Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!