Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All about the sound....

All about the sound....

Hey All!

I have Ben lurking for a while and searching the bowels of the forum for what ppl think and do for how they sound. I just decided it would be easier to ask....

Ok here is the question.... does anyone try to disguise their voice? If you don’t, do you just avoid talking, don’t care if your made? If you do, how do you do it? Tips, advice, and good resources? How do you think you sound?

Pleas let me know! Dying to hear from ya’ll!

I generally speak in a softer voice and slightly higher register.

Took a long time to practice it.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Queen of Chinatown jennifer0918's Avatar
    Funny you should ask, do you have flickr?
    Because I just posted a video there talking in my femme voice. I have been told I sound very convincing. But I'll leave it to your criteria. X
    Last edited by jennifer0918; 04-23-2018 at 11:42 PM.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I just use my natural voice but softer.
    I do this by speaking from the top of my voice box and not from my diaphragm.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I have practiced doing as Bev does. But, since no one well mistake me for a female, I don't use it among vanillas.

And, since trans rarely disguise their voices, I don't use it much with them either!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

First of all, results might not be the expected ones at the beginning, but with some practice, even by whispering or trying to sing can help. I know this because I sometimes have done some informal voice acting and I have noticed that with some time of getting your vocal chords adapted to making different voices and knowing how to use air well, you can get plenty possibilities.

At some point, i realized that even if i dress perfectly and put flawless makeup (which i don't), my voice is a dead giveaway. So i found voice tutorials online and i practice my female voice daily, while driving to/for work.
    If you are interested, go to genderlife.com; highly recommended!

Banned Read only
    Victoria,
    The simple answer is no , I've never attempted it and have to admit none of the members of any of my social groups do .

Once you try and adopt a false voice it's very difficult to keep it up, you can't have decent conversation with anyone, my goodness I would miss that . If you dress appropiately and do a reasonable job of your makeup and you hair/ wig works well for you the voice doesn't make that much difference.

OK it's back to the passing question again, I don't want to get into a heated debate but none of us pass 100% thers is always something that gives us away , with me it's the size of my hands, I never give my voice a thought .

The question is unimportant if your in the closet but it's a small part of the equation once you step outside the door. I'm far more concerned about the right clothes , if my wig is still too much and hoping I've not overdone my makeup.

Victoria, I just tried to talk in softer tones.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".

Hi Victoria,

I'll second what Tracii said, move my voice up from my diaphragm and therefore speak a little softer. I only do this in situations where I'm fully femme, in public and speaking with someone I don't know. Otherwise I'll just use my normal voice.

Elizabeth

Reality Check
    Mostly, I try to not put myself in situations where I will be expected to carry on a conversation. Of course, if you go out in public, it's pretty hard to avoid having to say things like "good morning" or "hello" especially in my part of the country where strangers customarily greet strangers. I try to talk in a higher pitch "feminine" voice but I have no idea how I am perceived. I really don't want to be read as a crossdresser so I wouldn't answer in my natural pitch.
    Krisi

I found if I use a southern drawl with my voice it fems it up more. I don't know why it works that way, but it does for me. Daviolin
    P.S. I think it just sounds cuter.
    [SIZE="6"]
    [/SIZE]
    A CD AND HIS WARDROBE, ITS A BEAUTIFUL THING.

Plenty of online tutorials on youtube if you wish to develop a more feminine voice.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    I generally try and talk soft and a bit higher but I’m sure my voice gives me away most times. It takes a lot of effort to get
    a good feminine voice

Banned Read only
    Krisi,
    Do you mind if I ask if you would like the freedom to openly go out ?

I'm confused by your comment as not wanting to be read as a CDer if you speak. My point is the people don't know what you are , they don't know if you are an occasional CDer or if you've fully transitioned , you may not meet those people again so it's not going to bother them . That is the way I look at it now , they don't know so they treat me like any other person which is with respect , they may or not think I'm a woman but when I speak they know for certain but they don't suddenly run away and neither do they make disparaging remarks and that isn't just SAs who may want to make a sale .

I know your fears are what will people think ? what will the fallout be ? what repercussions will have on my wife and family ? well in truth it's very little. On the whole people can't be bothered to spread gossip not unless thgey have an axe to grind and I'm sure you would have avoided them in the first place .

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    I may talk slower and kinda like a whisper but no real conscious effort to talk feminine,but it's not like if I play dumb up close and personal they will think I'm anything other than a CD and by and large it hasn't changed their attitude to me.
    I don't know About anywhere else but here in Scotland there's many a genetic female who look attractive but can have a deeper or raspier voice than many guys
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Reality Check
    Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    Krisi,
    Do you mind if I ask if you would like the freedom to openly go out ?

I'm confused by your comment as not wanting to be read as a CDer if you speak. My point is the people don't know what you are , they don't know if you are an occasional CDer or if you've fully transitioned , you may not meet those people again so it's not going to bother them . That is the way I look at it now , they don't know so they treat me like any other person which is with respect , they may or not think I'm a woman but when I speak they know for certain but they don't suddenly run away and neither do they make disparaging remarks and that isn't just SAs who may want to make a sale .

I know your fears are what will people think ? what will the fallout be ? what repercussions will have on my wife and family ? well in truth it's very little. On the whole people can't be bothered to spread gossip not unless thgey have an axe to grind and I'm sure you would have avoided them in the first place .
    When I go out, I am acting the part of a woman. Looking like a woman but sounding like a man when I speak just doesn't work for me. As for your thoughts on the effect on my wife and family, I don't agree with you. We are all in unique situations and what works for one of us won't necessarily work for another. My wife is uncomfortable with others knowing I dress like a woman and I respect that. I don't want to be known as "the tranny down the block".
    Krisi

I’ve been to Scotland! Learned that it is a really bad idea to get into a drinking contest with a Scottish fisherman!

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Sophie: Yes indeed especially around the Glasgow area.
    Victoria: That is funny because it is true. Somebody should have warned you.

My SO tries to whisper thinking his voice will sound feminine. In reality, people can’t understand what he is saying so the response is “what did you say?” After repeating several times, they either give up or he uses is man voice if he really needs to communicate.

Victoria, yes I do have a female voice which is the product of years of trial and error, and lots of research online, both with commercial female voice programs and many you tube videos from individuals with VERY convincing female voices about how they do it. I'm convinced that anyone can learn it, but buckle in for the long haul, it takes time and perseverance..and there is LOTS of useless information along with lots of great information out there.

I have posted about this before, if you're interested I can provide links to the techniques that have helped me the most. There are some common denominators among the various methods that work. In my case, if I am on the edge of being read as a man..but they aren't sure..my female voice tips the balance to "woman"..or at least puts enough doubt in their mind that they treat me as one!

Whether to put in the effort to develop a convincing female voice is an individual choice..it's complicated :-)

Yes, a little practice and I do try to make it sound more feminine, but I don't go crazy trying. It is what it is.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Victoria I have been thinking and trying to find my new voice but we are still in trial mode it is a lot of practice to get there like anything else. Try your Canadian drawl!!

have fun aye lol
    If you can't laugh and have fun you might as well go home.

I don't worry about it too much. Presenting as female I feel it is up to the others to decide what they perceive. I try not to use my deepest voice but there's​ plenty of women who have a deeper, less feminine voice than many of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Martin View Post
    Victoria, yes I do have a female voice which is the product of years of trial and error, and lots of research online, both with commercial female voice programs and many you tube videos from individuals with VERY convincing female voices about how they do it. I'm convinced that anyone can learn it, but buckle in for the long haul, it takes time and perseverance..and there is LOTS of useless information along with lots of great information out there.

I have posted about this before, if you're interested I can provide links to the techniques that have helped me the most. There are some common denominators among the various methods that work. In my case, if I am on the edge of being read as a man..but they aren't sure..my female voice tips the balance to "woman"..or at least puts enough doubt in their mind that they treat me as one!

Whether to put in the effort to develop a convincing female voice is an individual choice..it's complicated :-)
    Oh my gawd! That would be awesome! Thank you! I would love to see some of the resources you got! I’ve been trying hard to find some good resources. There is just so much out that that i have been struggling to find stuff that works.

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by LeannS View Post
    Victoria I have been thinking and trying to find my new voice but we are still in trial mode it is a lot of practice to get there like anything else. Try your Canadian drawl!!

have fun aye lol
    Good luck! I have been looking and trying for a bit but haven’t quite found a voice yet. Which is funny considering I’m well know for doing impressions and accents. I think I have a killer Mark Hamell Joker impression. Let me know how you are doing as you work on your voice! I live in North Dakota but I’m actually from the south so I can totally do the southern bell accent. It’s just a bit Nasally.
    “Hatred only breeds more hatred.” -The Invid Regis

“We are star stuff. We are the universe made manifest... trying to figure itself out”. - Delenn