Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: All about the sound....

Victoria, I will PM you..I have done exhaustive research on this in my own search for a female voice , which was finally successful..it's a process.

It may help you to understand the mechanics of where and how vocal sounds are shaped..this understanding helped me to apply some of the specific "how to " advice from various sources, and to learn to reject some as BS and some as not helpful for me personally. by the way, if you are a trained singer, this process is easier. Here is something to get you started:

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/headorchest.html

The link is about the "elevator theory" of singing. One of the tricks people learn to increase their vocal range is the "siren exercise" , where you learn to go from your lowest chest voice to highest "head voice" (not falsetto) up in your sinus cavity, without your voice breaking. This was a breakthrough for me. When you find the female voice that's really convincing (always ma'amed on the phone, if they couldn't see you they still hear a female), the sound is shaped up in your sinus cavity and all the bones in your forehead are resonating. I imagine( the image I use) that the sound is forming out in front of the bridge of my nose or eyes...but all the the airways are as open as possible (think round tones), and your vocal support still comes from the chest and diaphragm as in any singing, which is how it has resonance and not the "cartoon character" sound. The pitch almost takes care of itself when you learn this (it will automatically be higher because of shaping the sound up in your sinus cavity.) Tone and resonance are a much bigger deal than pitch in having a voice that sounds truly female.

I'm PM you with some resources. Don't get frustrated..at first all I could produce was air!!
    Last edited by Julie Martin; 04-25-2018 at 12:12 PM.

mini kilted chick t-girlxsophie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria_Winters View Post
    I’ve been to Scotland! Learned that it is a really bad idea to get into a drinking contest with a Scottish fisherman!
    Now there's an interesting story in there
    We look to Scotland,for all our Ideas of Civilisation-Voltaire

========================================

A woman who loves to wear beautiful clothes is like a flower.
    A man who loves to emulate these women is a special flower-a rose
    Facebook:Sophie Johnson

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I was just out with a friend from this site on Monday. She commented that my voice was soft enough that in drab or glam it worked. That kind of surprised me even after decades of dressing in public. When dressed I speak a little higher but not much. What I do though is end sentences on an up note, almost in a singing fashion. Many statements end almost as a question. I've been doing it so long when dressed that I don't think about it too much. The other advantage I have is that I am old. What is interesting is that as women get older their voices get deeper and some men like me. it gets a bit higher and softer. So when I speak the person listening is not surprised if I sound a bit lower. It's harder when you are younger.

I wasn't sure how I sounded to others, so I recorded myself and thought I sounded just like Mr. Rogers. Close enough!!
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by t-girlxsophie View Post
    Now there's an interesting story in there
    Yes there is....

Quote Originally Posted by DaisyLawrence View Post
    Sophie: Yes indeed especially around the Glasgow area.
    Victoria: That is funny because it is true. Somebody should have warned you.

Yeah, I knew better... but I was already on my way to being quite toasty by that point...
    “Hatred only breeds more hatred.” -The Invid Regis

“We are star stuff. We are the universe made manifest... trying to figure itself out”. - Delenn

For those who really want to put the time in to learn a totally female sounding voice:

Of all of the advice and techniques I have looked at online ,including the formal programs like "Finding your Female Voice" from Andrea James( which I paid for) on genderlife, and Melanie Ann Phillips program, this is the most comprehensive and detailed I have found, with really practical explanations for how to build your female voice. And it's free! Make sure that you also check out the links below the video that say "Read this first", and "Followup video"..the latter clarifies some of what she presents in the first video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ro2R3esHA

There is a LOT of info here..but for me it's the best I've found. It's a slightly different spin than some of the info out there. Don't get discouraged, it does take time, and you will have to watch this stuff a few times to really take it all in. I originally did the head voice with all the bones in the head vibrating, but very open in the throat and chest, which works (she covers this method also)..but hers is more authentic sounding.

Good luck!

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

For those who really want to put the time in to learn a totally female sounding voice:

Of all of the advice and techniques I have looked at online ,including the formal programs like "Finding your Female Voice" from Andrea James( which I paid for) on genderlife, and Melanie Ann Phillips program, this is the most comprehensive and detailed I have found, with really practical explanations for how to build your female voice. And it's free! Make sure that you also check out the links below the video that say "Read this first", and "Followup video"..the latter clarifies some of what she presents in the first video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6ro2R3esHA

There is a LOT of info here..but for me it's the best I've found. It's a slightly different spin than some of the info out there. Don't get discouraged, it does take time, and you will have to watch this stuff a few times to really take it all in. I originally did the head voice with all the bones in the head vibrating, but very open in the throat and chest, which works (she covers this method also)..but hers is more authentic sounding.

Good luck!

Have a GG cousin that has a voice deeper & raspy then any male. She's never mistaken in person but on a phone is another story.

Do not try to change my voice and do not try to hide it