Thread: Have you ever wondered how Men Crossdressed in the 1700s & 1800s ?

Have you ever wondered how Men Crossdressed in the 1700s & 1800s ?

I can't see how the same Percentage of men Crossdressed 100s of years ago unless they had wives who kept their secret

Think about it, Women were home the whole time and how much effort it must have taken for a guy to get into all those petticoats and wonderful gowns. There is no way they could have done it alone. Lots of us would love to have worn a Southern Belle dress but wouldn't we need lots of help ?

On the other hand in the Wild West days where women had to sew their own dresses I can only imagine how many cowboys became dressforms for their wives and experienced the joys of petticoats, dresses and Bonnets !

Do you ever think about this or know of research done ?

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Not really, but I did discover why the men wore makeup in the1700's French court and high society----Watch the movie "Barry Lindon". It's obvious the lighting even in the ball rooms was quite poor by our standards. Makeup was worn so people could SEE each other's faces and facial expressions in the dim light.

I can't tell you where I read it but I think I was googling crenoline history and stumbled onto the history of men used to wear high heels and silk garments as a sign of wealth.

I believe that back in the 14-1700's men wore tights. Men wore Lacy shirts. Men wore heels.
    Men were the ones that had pierced ears hundreds of years before women ever did.

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Men who could afford it always had gentlemen's clubs, bastions of fiercely guarded privacy. There were always hedonistic nightclubs, at least in cities. The very rich also tend to care less what others think of them, certainly in terms of debauchery.

I think crossdressing has always occurred. However in former times religion was far more widespread, so it was driven much farther underground than today. I'm sure there were a lot of very deeply unhappy victims of repression. We are very privileged to live in an era when this forum is permitted to exist in the open.
    I used to have a short attention spa

Attachment 291727It would be as simple of exchanging clothes
    Escapism isn't necessarily bad, but is definitely unhealthy in the long term. While helpful in the short term, things will degrade over time. At some point, the escapee will have to face the issue. Things simply blowing over isn't really going to happen in many situations.

not new anymore just shy VickieBonne's Avatar
    I'm reading Re-dressing, America's Frontier Past. By Peter Boag. It discusses exactly what your asking. Mostly female to male but there are examples of M2f.

I have always accepted that dressing occurred but I have never looked into it.

Now I will, you have piqued my interest. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    If it an acceptable for a man to wear what we now consider to be frilly clothes and makeup it would not cross dressing. There is one noted example of an English aristocrat, Edward Hyde (Lord Cornbury) who was the governor of New York & New Jersey 1701-1708 who was a known to wear women's clothing. There is a portrait of him in women's finery hanging in a gallery. If you 'google' the name there are many articles about him.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I tend to not look backward at things that concern me. Enjoy looking at what MITE HAPPEN in the future!

Like bearded men in dresses walking around town at mid day in 100 years!?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

In a World War I history book I own, there is a picture of four "doughgirls" in skirts, stockings and flower-decorated helmets.

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    Did a quick google search and found many images. What surprised me slightly was that while they wore full Victorian finery few of the subjects made any attempt to feminise their hair and face, indeed several had full on beards and-or moustaches. (this is not meant to turn in to a MIAD debate by the way)

c1e378e9656cc67537088d24e65c040e--nurse-costume-american-red-cross.jpg
    Last edited by DIANEF; 05-24-2018 at 09:16 AM.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

Banned Read only
    Watch the movie Elizabeth...

Recorded cases in the civil war here in the United states of "women" spies on both sides. Check out Sue Monday for example.
    Pink is more than a color: its an attitude!

There’s actually a CD group in Vancouver called the Cornbury Society. Their website is www.cornbury.org

Recall seeing a bit of information about Cornbury there.

Glenda