Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Resolving farmer arms...

Resolving farmer arms...

Well, since my wife has allowed me to thin and shorten my light-colored arm hairs to almost nothing I can now wear sleeveless dresses. Through all my years of dressing, I've only worn long sleeve dresses. But, now that I'm enthralled with sleeveless outfits, I'm presented with a new problem. Yes, what you heard is true, I have farmer arms with a distinct tan line on my upper arms. Does anyone know of a quick fix beyond laying around in the sun wearing a bikini top in my non-existent spare time?
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

tank top while you mow the lawn, feed the horses (my approach), or what ever you do outside.

Hate to say it Nikki, but I think you’re gonna have to solve that problem the old fashioned way.

I wish my arm were thin and lean but they aren't I'm not fat but have guy's arms. I usually just opt for dresses with sleeves.

Long sleeve shirts!
    "This is ME" I am not CRAZY, I'm just a GUY who likes dresses!
    Since allot of men dress up in woman's clothing that makes it a manly thing to do!
    Much more fun than fishing.
    I do construction like house building and I love CD-ing, what's the difference?

Tank Tops, slvls tops All The Time Outside! Have been doing this all summer myself--- and my "lines' are gone. Takes a while- don't know of a "quick fix" that doesent have "other issues" Toni. G...

Gold Member Read only Rachael Leigh's Avatar
    Nikki, I agree with Katrina tan, tan, tan. It took me a year of laying out. This year I can go sleevless with the best of them

Easiest thing is to exercise outdoors... I run in a tank top every morning and I surf so my issue is actually replacing foundation from all the tanning LOL

I started out this spring with the same problem Nikki I started laying out in a bikini every weekend for an hour or so since early June no more farmers tan. I realize its not a quick fix but it's the only way I know of to get an even tan

If you want the opposite result, there are some options that people have posted on the internet. I have not tried nor do I endorse any of them.

Neutrogena "Build a Tan" lotion. You use it like moisturizer and it slowly adds color to the areas where it's applied. Doesn't impart that Cheeto-like hue that some of those "spray tan" products do.

I would recommend a very nice and breathable cardigan. I have a big arms and wide shoulders that are getting bigger through weightlifting. I'm sure I would get made instantly if I didn't wear them. Its always worked for me love.

Or... just saying... go the other way...

I’m an Aussie (Australia has the highest rates of skin cancer in the world). When I started this journey I decided that the best skin care I could provide FOR FREE was to reduce my sun exposure. I wear long pants/sleeves to protect my long suffering skin from any further UV damage.

I might be a little biased, as I’ve had a melanoma removed from my arm. No guesses as to how it started.

Michelle.

Banned Read only
    I doubt you can find a natural 'quick fix.' I have not only a farmer's tan on my biceps, I have a tan line on my legs. Yep, I am addicted to wearing shorts and sweat socks all the time. Of course, hosiery solves the leg issue. However, after seventy years of wearing short sleeve shirts and tee shirts I'm stuck with the farmer's tan. The sun rays can penetrate material, so covering up will not necessarily eliminate all tanning.

Perhaps finding finger less elbow length gloves to be worn when sunbathing will stop further tanning on the forearms while tanning the biceps and shoulders. You cannot really tan shirtless because the already tanned areas will darken more. Otherwise while you wait you can wear dresses that cover down to the tan line on the biceps.

Just do it already! DaisyLawrence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nikkiwindsor View Post
    Well, since my wife has allowed me to thin and shorten my light-colored arm hairs to almost nothing I can now wear sleeveless dresses.
    How very generous of her. Out of curiosity, did she ask your permission to do the same to her own arm hair?

Nikki,

Earlier in the year I bought a tea dress with cape sleeves and in order to ever wear it out I needed to rid myself of my farmers arms. I opted to wear sports vests, tank tops, call them what you will, while working outside.

We've been blessed with good weather this summer so sunshine has been plentiful. What I did do is wear factor 50 sun cream and made sure my exposure was time limited. No more than 10 minutes in full sunshine.

It has worked. I've evened my tan out and in the precess I've also tanned my upper chest so if creating cleavage I've not got the polo shirt Vee tan under my neck. Plus my legs are tanned so I can go without hose if I so choose.

Your other option, and in previous years when sunshine hasn't been as plentiful, in order to overcome the Vee neckline issue I've used Dove slow tan. Used daily it will give good natural looking results.

To be fair, going sleeveless is often hard for many of us to pull off. It might be worth taking pictures from front, side-on and from behind and make sure the look suits you. You may come to the conclusion that a short sleeve that covers you light bits is a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah Louise View Post
    To be fair, going sleeveless is often hard for many of us to pull off. It might be worth taking pictures from front, side-on and from behind and make sure the look suits you. You may come to the conclusion that a short sleeve that covers you light bits is a better option.
    Sarah, please see my sleeveless bandage dress pics under Becky's "Bare Shoulders" thread and let me know what you think about the tan lines on my arms...thank you! Nikki

[SIZE=1]- - - Updated - - -[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by biancabellelover View Post
    Or... just saying... go the other way...

I’m an Aussie (Australia has the highest rates of skin cancer in the world). When I started this journey I decided that the best skin care I could provide FOR FREE was to reduce my sun exposure. I wear long pants/sleeves to protect my long suffering skin from any further UV damage.

I might be a little biased, as I’ve had a melanoma removed from my arm. No guesses as to how it started.

Michelle.
    Oh dear, I too am concerned about melanoma...I'm a ginger so I burn very easily and I'm prone to skin cancer as well...I'm thinking about trying some of the slow tanning lotions suggested by some of the girls on the forum.
    Wearing my fuschia bodycon dress:
    http://imgur.com/6WkdAts
    For the first time, outdoors during the day:
    http://i.imgur.com/RmjIxbY.jpg

Try a spray tan
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

My husband uses SPF 50 on his lower arms and SPF 30 on the upper arms. They have evened out very nicely.

I have a farmers tan arms also but we swim also in the hot afternoons and mine has gotten some what blended. When I was younger I worked driving a tractor and usually did so with just track shorts and usually took my t shirt off. I thought dad has me out here working and the town kids are all in the swimming pool. I wanted to have the same tan as they did I used baby oil on my skin then because that's what mom had for us kids. When school started I didn't have a farmers tan but would be darker than then city kids from plowing n tractor driving all summer. As I got older and now I try and cover up as much as I can because of all the hype about skin cancer. I've had a few dark places cut off my face but they weren't cancers. The doctor said they were age spots. My suggestion for the arms is just get them tanned and not worry. Do wear a skin protector if you are subject to cancer.

Nikki, I have a similar problem, although I'm really retired, I have spent much of this summer rebuilding a length of stone waLloyd. As I don't like working in vest type tops, my shoulders are usually covered. But just to make it more difficult, I have to work in gloves, and Wear safety boots. So not just farmers shoulders, but hands, wrists ankles and feet!! My solution has been to use one of the self tanning moisturising creams, my favourite is a Dove product, but be careful some can be a bit too orange in colour.

Banned Read only
    Nikki,
    Bite the bullet occasionally and bare all on the top half . I admit it's easier for me now as I live alone , normally I wear women's Tshirts and ease the shoulders up as far as possible . The one time when I made a big boob was when I fell asleep in the garden wearing a swimsuit I had a very interesting tan shape , which was just before I was going to wear the strapless dress in my avatar .

I'm not serious enough about CDing to give a rip about my farmer's tan. I also don't wanna take the time to lay in the sun or spend money for fake baking.

I've used tanning cream on my legs and it works good enough if applied evenly. I use just enough so that my legs don't look like white out! It might be worth a try on your upper arms since it doesn't take much time or cost too much.
    "You're the only one to see the changes you take yourself through", Stevie Wonder

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar

Thumbs up There's always another way to accomplish that look!

Only u won't like it!

I hate my farmer's tan upper arms!

But, I can't tan my already burned up, old, ginger skin. So, I make arm covers out of kids tites!

You'll see me wearing them in all my bare arm photos. And, I'll even wear them out on public occasionally!

I'm wearing them here:
    51291.jpg
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!