Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yup this explains me

Yup this explains me

Found this the other day and it may not explain everyone here but for sure it explains me.

http://www.minddisorders.com/Py-Z/Tr...fetishism.html

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Does not describe me at all.
    No sexual attraction to me and I don't find having sex with animals an appealing idea either.
    I have no fetishes so this does not include me.

I don’t think you read it properly or you didn’t understand it. It is a Paraphilia. The animal part you’re mentioning is a different Paraphilia not this one.

Nope. And you should never ever ever self diagnose, especially if you’re not a trained professional. The average person could read the DSM and find at least 5 mental disorders that they “have”.

Platinum Member
    ten-reasons-why-the-transvestic-fetishism-diagnosis-in-the-dsm-5-has-got-to-go

I don't particularly appreciate being labeled with a disorder...but at least the appropriateness of these diagnoses is being challenged.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    I don't have a problem if you feel it explains you, we all have to start somewhere , in time you may find it was just a phase you were going through many of us have been there and passed through it. All these labels are fine but does it help day to day, if you read them often enough maybe you can persuade yourself to believe it does fit, then you discover another theory and then confusion sets in .

In the end the sensible thing to do is write down your whole history from the start , how it started where you are now and where you feel you would like to be in the future , no BS, be honest with yourself . Now compare that with some of these ideas and possibly compare your story with others on the forum , are you really that different , or do you want to appear to be different ? Eventually most of these ideas pass by and you finally reach a balance , that's when you find contentment and truly start to enjoy your CDing needs . CDing is often about hitting the "HIGHS" we often want more , but it does pass .

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    No I read it correctly and I am none of those things that were mentioned in that "opinion" piece.
    I do not have a transvestic fetish so don't attempt to lump me into some group that has a mental disorder.
    If you think having a mental disorder is "cool" or you like to shock people then fine do your own thing.
    I wear the clothes because thats what I feel I should be wearing.
    I may be male by birth but thats where it ends.

This certainly does NOT describe me.

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    I was interested in wanting to live and dress as a girl way before I had any sexual arousal from doing it. I have always questioned why I could not pursue the feminine art of enhancing my looks with clothes and cosmetics like girls got to do. I always preferred being with girls and playing their games. I lived on a street on Long Island where almost all the kids my age were girls. I grew up in the '50's and I was King of the hop scotch set. No GG could beat me. I loved being with them and was so jealous when we went to Sunday Mass and they got to wear pretty dresses and I was stuck in the same slacks, white shirt and tie every week. It was never initiated by sex and even now that is not the motivation. I do think the sex part can be a nice side bene.

the entire website seems to be taken from other sites, including wikis, so who knows what nonsense it contains. anyone that says 'most experts agree' without giving a specific source should just be ignored...

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Most of this is very old T psych theory. Some may apply to u, much probably won't. More modern psych theories allow much more deviance than these ancient ones.

Hopefully, Reina, Pat, or another T psych expert here will chime in?
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Nope, me neither. I like dressing up as a girl and I like sex, but the clothes and dressing up don't cause sexual excitement. The confusion for me came because when I reached puberty, like most boys, I was horny all the time, so becoming aroused while dressed as a girl screwed up my thinking about it. What I forgot, is that I also got aroused while in math class, on the bus, pretty much anywhere. Didn't take much, either. The slight scent of a girl's perfume, the sight of a pretty woman, that's all it took.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Cross Dressing has SEVERAL DIFFERENT, and often unrelated causes. You just cannot pick one cause out of a book and have it apply in all cases----The only thing we have in common is the propensity to dress in clothing of the opposite sex.----Some people just "like the feel" of the fabric, Some people have clothing fetishes, some of us are into "humiliation S/M", some of us "get off on "risk taking" or violating personal or social "taboos" Some of us want to "escape" from our selves and identity, and for others we IDENTIFY with the opposite sex.----And there are other reasons too. Many of us have several reasons.

it didn't explain me either, but was very interesting.
    i really lost interest when i got to "treaments"???
    paula

that is a bogus site it has no accreditation to any of the science or fact based bodies available or references to them.

it may describe you but it is not a flaw....it may have been a stop on some journeys here but it is not the final destination.

their use of "deviant behavior" bothered me. in truth masturbation however dressed is just that, to me a normal sex act.

cheap sin : http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2pu0lv

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masturbation
    Last edited by mykell; 05-28-2018 at 05:38 PM.
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

I have to agree with this being my basic definition. And that's alright as far as I know there is no requirements for being a CD'er.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

If I were to ask for a diagnosis from a mental health professional they most certainly would diagnose me as Transvestic Disorder with Autogynephilia per the DSM-5. I'm not making a judgement on whether it's right or wrong to for me to be diagnosed with a mental illness, I just saying that going by the book that would be my diagnosis.

Just because you read it on a website does not make it true, the 'article' was written more than 7 years ago as it has comments dating to 2011..
    A.K.A Rebecca & Bec

Not me either!
    Whilst it may well have been sexual many years ago it definitely is not now. I have no idea why I like wearing clothes traditionally associated with the female gender - perhaps it is the pretty colours, the lace and the freedom of a skirt - but all I do know is that I feel far more comfortable in them than I do in male clothing. So in my mind that's not a fetish it's just the way I am.
    Sasha

Jeni,

As Becky points out this description was written 7 years ago. To be honest when I started to read it my first reaction was it had been written in the 50's.

I certainly don't consider myself to have a disorder. That implies a cure. Plus the notion that we're lumped together with pedophiles shows just how little understanding the author has.

I don't support book burning but that's one volume I'd gladly put on the pyre.

Platinum Member
    I’m also curious about the provenance of this website. It oddly lacks any information about the individual or organization that compiled the ‘encyclopedia of mental disorders”
    Last edited by kimdl93; 05-29-2018 at 06:39 AM.

Aspiring Member
    If compulsive crossdressing interferes with other everyday activities and relationships, then you may have a paraphellia. Some of the pictures/posts on this site convince me that for some, dressing is a fetish. For others it is much more of an identity and gender issue.

Like my sis Stephanie Juliana, my earliest feelings of dysphoria were long before puberty and were in reaction to being excluded from girls only activities. I felt it unfair that I couldn't share in the experiences most girls had, and had to pursue typical boys activities if I wanted to get affirmation from my parents and peers. The sexual component came long after and was likely a means to find love and comfort from within myself.

When the insecure look upon the unique, their impulse is to say that those who differ are abnormal. Back before DSM V, Crossdressing was classified as Transvestic Fetishism and was defined by the majority cis-hetero normative establishment. What the professionals now recognize is that trans people live full and productive lives when free to express their unique gender, thus removing it as a "disorder" and classifying it as a "condition".
    Mae West had a quote about monogamy which I will alter for this subject:

Being Cis-gender isn't normal, it is just common....
    Last edited by Sheren Kelly; 05-29-2018 at 07:32 AM.
    Warmly,
    Sheren Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Sheren Kelly View Post
    Being Cis-gender isn't normal, it is just common....
    Actually, it is :P The dictionary definition of Normal is "usual, typical, or expected". Which is exactly what being "Cis-gendered" is.

EDIT: Have been informed that the post was in jest. I apologise for misinterpreting it.
    Last edited by Queen Bridget; 05-29-2018 at 12:15 PM.

The article accurately restates the current definition of Transvestic Fetishism disorder as found in the DSM-5 manual. It's irrelevant that the article is 7 years old because it is the current published definition of what the official manual for psych doctors considers a mental illness. That being said many people, including psych doctors, disagree with the diagnosis. I'm only pointing this out because people understand that it is, in fact, currently the official position of the DSM.

I accept myself as is Gillian Gigs's Avatar
    I wouldn't spent too much time over thinking this. Societies all over the world like to put people into boxes, with pretty labels on the fronts, you don't have to join in if you don't want to. If there is one thing I have learned on this site, it is that there are as many different reasons for CD'ing as there are people on this site. Masturbation gets a bad rap in western culture, they say that 98% of men do it and the other 2% are lying about doing it! It's probably the same with women. Someone once said, "think about what you are thinking about", if we all did that there would probably be less OCD out there. A fetish can be harmless, but it can also become an obsession, what it becomes has to do with what you spent all your time thinking about.

Something I learned about dieting is that if you continually deny yourself of that one thing, it will end up with you having a complete blow out and the end result is worse than if you just gave yourself that small indulgence to begin with. In dieting what is better, give yourself a small ice cream cone occasionally, than having a pig out on the gallon tub! There is nothing wrong with having a treat, we just don't survive on treats. Are you controlling it, or is it controlling you.
    Last edited by Gillian Gigs; 05-29-2018 at 11:43 AM. Reason: addition
    I like myself, regardless of the packaging that I may come in! It's what is on the inside of the package that counts!