Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It is what it is

It is what it is

So after two years of not dressing I decided that I was not going to delude myself anymore and started again. In the past when I bought makeup I was usually dressed or said it was for my wife or daughter. I decided this time was not going to play that silly game. I went to the MAC counter (yeah I know expensive but I love the stuff lol) with my jean leggings and t-shirt. The woman, like almost all MAC staff, was great. As I was cashing out I said "I could tell you this was for my wife but you probably wouldn't believe me" She just laughed and said she had many male customers. Although most people don't know it still felt good to be myself.

It's always best to be honest.

Whilst I don't wear make-up I am always completely open when it come to shopping for underwear etc. On the odd occasion that I have been asked I just say yes, they are for me.
    Sasha

Stop that, it's silly.... DIANEF's Avatar
    After years of buying things 'for my wife' I now buy openly for myself. So far not one negative reaction from any SA, indeed in some stores they are more than helpful. I just wish I had started doing it much earlier.
    Here today, gone tomorrow....

I've never been asked is this for me, I just pick it up and go payout. I used to put what I needed on my phone and act like I was shopping for my wife, but now I just go get it and then proceed to the checkout.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Nice, Angela!
    The thing is, I look so little like I mite CD when I'm out shopping in drab, that no one ever questions what I buy or why!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Platinum Member

Talking

I don't know for expensive cosmetics. I usually can find the major brands at my local variety store and go through the self checkout lanes with all the other stuff; meat, vegetables, etc. If I am buying clothing I pretty much know the maker labels and sizes and styles that will fit my body. Before the invention of the Internet by Al Gore I bought my undergarments in person. That's when I did the fumbling of "it's for my wife." That worked well for sexy lingerie, but, not so much for white long line bras.

I used to go to the store for almost anything for my wife! I was never asked who it was for and still never get asked! I just go in and buy whatever as I know my sizes and tastes in certain items! I have had no problems so far! Hugs Lana Mae
    Life is worth living!
    "Foxy lady! You look so good!!" Jimi Hendrix

Platinum Member
    I don't recall ever explaining the nature of my purchases. Before I shopped en femme, I remember one SA commenting, I suspect in jest, "its not every husband that knows his wife's size in panty hose." I let it ride. I could have stated the obvious, but she probably had a pretty good grasp of it herself.

I do remember the first time I bought thigh highs in an adult lingerie store. When the clerk asked if I was sure on the size of the stockings (its so long ago I don't recall the sizing....but it was tall / queen, I chuckled and commented that they were for me. She paused for just a half second, ducked back into the office/storage area and returned with an opened queen size pair of garter stockings... She gave them to me and simply explained that they had been returned, opened but unworn.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 05-30-2018 at 06:40 PM.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

When I shop in either mode, I will hold an item up against me and try it for bust size and waist.

Occasionally I get an odd look, but I just own it.

Same with shoes and boots, try everyone and try them on. :-)
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    Angela, yes it does feel good to be yourself. I shop in drab and don't mind what the SAs think about it. There was a time, a few years back, when I was buying some clothes in a large Marks and Spencer in the north of Ireland. I'd decided to treat myself and bought a complete outfit: underwear; tights; top; skirt; shoes; and a bit of bling etc. When I took it up to the sales desk, I put everything on the counter and the SA started ringing it through. You could tell there was a moment when it dawned on her that she wasn't just taking for some random clothes, but that there was a complete outfit (all in larger sizes) and that they could only be for one person: me. I merely looked across at her and smiled. It was at that moment that I too, stopped 'playing that silly game'. Now, I just get on with it and mostly, I'm just treated as any other person in the queue who happens to be buying women's clothes.

I've yet to shop in girl mode, but my wife tells me all the time to shop for myself when we go out. I just can't seem to break through that wall. I know it sounds silly. I've spent my entire life trying to be the person everyone expects me to be. But with my wife, I'm free to be me. What's even more silly, is I wear mediums and larges, while my wife wears extra smalls.... like they don't know what's going on at checkout! Lol

Yes , I shop for myself, and on time was ask by a clerk : Is it for you and my answer was " what do you think" and she shut up.

Enjoy Angela.
    Wanting something is a fantasy which on a long time period clouds your mind and makes you think you need it.

Rayleen

I went into penningtons for the first time on Thursday and shopped around picking out a nice office wear blouse and skirt. Up paying for it the lady at the till asked if the person i was getting it for had a points card. All the courage i had was to say no she didn't, well because i don't. Lol
    Last edited by Amanda77; 06-02-2018 at 07:21 AM. Reason: Spelling

Way to go Angela!

For those of us which choose the "It's for ME" shopping style, it can be more freeing? or something! I couldn't do it any other way, anymore!

My long nails and purse are certain to seal any over the counter questions if required, LOL!

Just My Style,
    Stacy!
    STOP, Well I just dance the way I feel
    Stop breathing imagine none of this is real

Well I just dance the way I feel
    "Ou Est Le Swimming Pool"

Silver Member Stephanie Julianna's Avatar
    It is so liberating when you can finally accept yourself. Way to go and welcome to the rest of your life. It will only get better from here.

Silver Member
    A similar thing happened yesterday when I went clothes shopping. I tried on about six dresses, two tops and a skirt. I selected one dress and one top then took them to the register. When I told them they were for my wife, they just laughed and told me they liked the dress I wore when I came in.

I was in drab at Burlington Coat Factory and found several dresses that I liked. I just put them over my arm and took them to the dressing room. I told the woman on duty that I wanted to try them on. She was shocked, and laughed a little. Then she gave me a ticket for the number of dresses I had, and sent me to the men's side of the dressing area.

I was really proud of myself for just owning it and not being deterred by her reaction.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

I bought my first matching panty and slip when I was a senior in high school. Been buying girl cloths ever since. Was only asked if it was for me one time. I am now 67.

I have never shopped for things when dressed; always in drab. I was asked who it was for once. I said, "It is for my identical twin sister." And then followed it with a wink and grin. That got a laugh and it really changed the tone of the SA-customer link. She helped me with a couple of other cosmetic things.

This past March I had my first experience walking into a MAC store and getting a partial makeover in the spot. I was with my wife, and the SA did not bat an eye. She was very helpful in fact. It was a liberating experience.
    Not a woman, I just enjoy looking and feeling like one now and then!

It is far easier, more fun and more accepting to shop for yourself and be open and proud of it

Platinum Member
    Hi Angela , I just shop like I own the place, See what I want and pay for it. >Orchid......
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Steffi, Way to go, just stick out your chin, er chest, and stroll in and enjoy. I love the picture in your profile BTW.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovethatdress/

I am going for my first bra fitting on Wednesday so I think it will be pretty much a given that I am shopping for myself.
    Sasha

Angela, I've gone to the MAC counter en drab and have had my foundation color determined. It was easy and the SA was great.
    Please call me Jamie, I always_have crossdressed, I always will, "alwayshave".