Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who is a pilot?

Quote Originally Posted by Kellitgdet View Post
    Use to fly a Cessna, loved it. Priorities changed.
    Wow so many pilots, I'm a bit jealous now, so do we have any bus/coach drivers. I started after taking an early retirement from my long time career. Great fun most of the time,but those Hen parties were the worst.

Helicopter Pilot (Commercial, though haven't made a dime at it yet!)

Quote Originally Posted by kayegirl View Post
    Wow so many pilots, I'm a bit jealous now, so do we have any bus/coach drivers. I started after taking an early retirement from my long time career. Great fun most of the time,but those Hen parties were the worst.
    Does a school bus count? I drove those for a few years.

it depends on how fast you drove it Charona? The speed at which you attain lift in a school bus is.........errr, help me out here girls? :/

Platinum Member
    7.8 km/s (28,080 km/h) will get a bus into low earth orbit.
    Last edited by kimdl93; 06-07-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I was in the Air Force, but not a pilot. And I drive for Uber now. Close enough? Lol

i have an A&P certificate and have flow an f18 fighter plane/Apache helicopter military simulator

I soloed in a Cessna 150 and did some solo cross country time in a Grumman American TR2 when I was 18. Money ran short, then it was off to the navy and I never got back to it.

Not a pilot but aircraft mechanic.
    “Hatred only breeds more hatred.” -The Invid Regis

“We are star stuff. We are the universe made manifest... trying to figure itself out”. - Delenn

My father in law had a hanger with 3 planes. Two were collector planes with cloth wings. The 3rd was a Censa 152, which he taught me to fly I could take off, land and plot routs. Had a lot of fun and as he got older I would fly him to an air ranch for breakfast. When he passed I wanted to keep the Censa, which had just been re-certified. My wife said no even thlough I wanted to take formalized lessions and get an official license. She said a boat is enough. Solf everything and had a lRGE AND FUN hanger sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Charona View Post
    Does a school bus count? I drove those for a few years.
    If you've done three touch and go's and a full stop, solo, and walked away, it counts. Personally, I'm skeptical. They don't fly worth a damn. I saw one given a head start (dropped from a Sikorsky Sky Crane at about 1200 ft AGL, as an air show gag). Their glide ratio is somewhat better than a grand piano, but they are unstable as all get-out, oscillating madly in pitch approaching v-ref. I don't think Bob Hoover himself could have made a decent landing in that thing.

Military and airline pilot here. On many occasions, I would wear panties under my flight suit. Not exactly like "Top Gun"! I think my passengers would be surprised to know that their male captain was wearing panties and nylons under his pilot uniform!

Great timing on this question! I just got current again with my pilot license after 30 years away from aviation. Now i am shopping for a plane to work on my instrument rating. It’s likely I’ll be looking for a CFII (ideally, or a CFI) to help me transition to complex and to ferry a Mooney from Florida to Colorado in the next few weeks. It never occurred to me that I might find help here!

FAA Part 107 UAS remote pilot. Would love to learn how to fly manned aircraft but it's probably too late for me now.
    "We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think." - The Buddha

I'm truly amazed as to how many of you all are pilots. Personally I have flown lots but only ever in the rear seats.

I have a friend who was a training captain with KLM and his favourite saying was that every successful landing was a controlled crash - made me feel so much better about flying.
    Sasha

Quote Originally Posted by AllyCDTV View Post
    FAA Part 107 UAS remote pilot. Would love to learn how to fly manned aircraft but it's probably too late for me now.
    They've made it pretty easy to fly nowadays (minus the money part of course!) Most schools have an intro flight offer that acts as kind of a first lesson and lets you play with the controls - go take one!

--Lisa--

I'm an R/C pilot does that count? I fly a 1/5 scale P-51 Mustang and a 1/5 scale ov-10 Bronco. I tried flying full-scale once but didn't really care for it.

Will take my hat off to the RC flyers. I would rather shoot an approach in 200 over, with RVR of three quarters. Every time I fly a RC, balsa gets bent.

Aspiring Member
    Private pilot for many years. Loved flying but due to stents in my heart the FAA physicians decided I was unfit to fly. Hell, I'm in way better shape with the stents and losing 40# than when they let me fly all the time. got tired of the paperwork required to receive the flight medical. Miss it every time I see an airplane in the sky. Did most of my flying in a Cessna 172B.

Yes, Laura. R/C flying is a different set of skills. The "control reversal" problem doesn't exist for pilots actually aboard their craft.��
    Sashauk, the way I learned it was, "Any landing you can walk away from is a good one."
    Last edited by Aunt Kelly; 06-09-2018 at 01:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Kelly View Post
    If you've done three touch and go's and a full stop, solo, and walked away, it counts. Personally, I'm skeptical. They don't fly worth a damn. I saw one given a head start (dropped from a Sikorsky Sky Crane at about 1200 ft AGL, as an air show gag). Their glide ratio is somewhat better than a grand piano, but they are unstable as all get-out, oscillating madly in pitch approaching v-ref. I don't think Bob Hoover himself could have made a decent landing in that thing.
    It was 40 years ago that I had the privilege of watching Bob Hoover, starting at about the altitude of that bus, kill the engines on his Shrike, do three loops, one barrel roll, over the runway, and a 180 at the end, and coast to a stop in front of the stands. I'm glad he is still remembered so fondly. He was a pilot's pilot.
    Come to think of it, there was a guy in a dress pretending to be someone's widow who wanted one last ride, take off alone in a J3 Cub to do an aerobatics routine...….

Quote Originally Posted by Janie Jane View Post
    It was 40 years ago that I had the privilege of watching Bob Hoover, starting at about the altitude of that bus, kill the engines on his Shrike, do three loops, one barrel roll, over the runway, and a 180 at the end, and coast to a stop in front of the stands. I'm glad he is still remembered so fondly. He was a pilot's pilot.
    Come to think of it, there was a guy in a dress pretending to be someone's widow who wanted one last ride, take off alone in a J3 Cub to do an aerobatics routine...….
    Mr. Hoover was, for years, the safety pilot for the Reno National Championship Air Races. "Gentlemen, you have a race," is a phrase that I will always remember. It was the signal to field that the race was on, as he'd pull "Ol' Yeller", that familiar yellow P-51 up out of the formation to fly around over the race course, watching his "flock" as those Unlimited racers tore around the course. Over the years, I saw him literally save many, many lives and aircraft with his calm advice to pilots of stricken aircraft. And of course, yes, his airshow acts showed airmanship that was rarely equaled.

That "guy in the dress" was almost certainly Kent Peach, whose comedy acts in that J3 are also legendary. I'd forgotten that particular act. I guess we can include him in our club too.
    Last edited by Aunt Kelly; 06-13-2018 at 05:44 PM.

Gotta say I am equally intrigued by the number of responses on this thread! Professional pilot for the full time living here also.

Am I the only person on this forum who isn't a pilot? LOL

I hold an out of compliance private pilot license. The cost to rent even Tomahawks and 150’s is too high. As well as the cost of a new physical and recertification. Therefore I remain earthbound.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!