Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Who is a pilot?

Banned Read only
    I am not a pilot but I am a airplane mechanic.

Private pilot 1975; Instrument rating 1994; about 850 hours, total. All private flying paid out of my pocket.

Because the cost is higher than my retirement income will allow, I'm no longer current amd it's likely I won't ever be, again. But, it has been fun.

Never flew dressed.
    Susan

"Not sure who I am, yet. But, I'll let you know..."

Private, SEL, Instrument, 4500 hours plus. Currently flying 150-200 hours a year.

Interesting thread, 590K pilots in USA, another 200K to 300K in the rest of the world.... .19% of population in USA, less elsewhere. No idea how the number in this thread relates to the number of forum users....

Quote Originally Posted by traciethetg View Post
    I am not a pilot but I am a airplane mechanic.
    Same here! They bend 'em, we mend 'em!

I have never left the house as "Jenn", but this threat has strangely got me thinking the first outside aventure in persona may be to fly. I am thinking a night flight, in the plane my wife and I own, at our home airport that is rural, and unlikely to see anyone else. But for some reason the love of flying and the thought of flying in my "Jenn" persona feels like it may be the ideal first out of the house experience (other than a Halloween trip I made a couple years ago that I think only marginally counts).....maybe it's time to let two loves come together.

Aspiring Member
    Private Pilot, Single Engine Land. VFR only. Didn't fly for 9 years. The thought of flying fully dressed came number of times to me. Always thought about this as a total and ultimate freedom. Electrolysis is sucking all the extra cash I have. Maybe in few years when electrolysis will be completed, I will consider again to fly occasionally.

Just can't help myself! Brenda456's Avatar
    Single engine land with complex and high performance endorsements.

*raises hand* CP, AZSMEL, IA* here. first certificated +30 yrs ago. Now +2800 hrs and paid for every one of 'em. Never flew pretty but thought about it a lot.. I mean the idea of cutting across the desert in a short skirt/bra/panties & top seems awesome. But never figured out how to cover the few feet to embark/debark said wings... without undue disclosure.

Interesting correlation though!

* (Commercial rated, Zero, Single, Multi engine land. Zero engine == glider) Instrument airplane.
    Last edited by Kat42; 06-26-2018 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Extension and exposition of the idea

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michala View Post
    got tired of the paperwork required to receive the flight medical. Miss it every time I see an airplane in the sky. Did most of my flying in a Cessna 172B.
    Basically the same reason I quit. With me it's hereditary type II diabetes. I can ride my bike 160 km (100 miles); three weeks ago I rode my bike 5 km (53 miles) without stopping or unclipping from the pedals, including a category 3 climb of 3 km. But Transport Canada wanted me to jump through so many hoops to renew my medical, and our medical system is so overloaded that I would have to go to the private sector (yet more $$$), I just gave up and sold my aerobatic Beech Sundowner last year. Over the years, besides the Sundowner, I owned a C150, Cherokee 140 and Beech Skipper. All in my past now. Now my passion is riding carbon-fiber road bikes.

I miss the flying, but not the expenses. But roaring down steep grades at 80 km/h (50 mph) on skinny road bike tires has it's own kind of thrill

USAF pilot, followed by years flying for an agency to not be named here. I also flew hang gliders, ultra-lights, some stick time in helo's, just missing the Balloon and Gyroplane. Never thought about combining the two "hobbies" but that might just be because it didn't come up.